MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Is it wrong that I've slowed down?

Is it wrong that I've slowed down? - Forums [Biker Match] Is it wrong that I've slowed down? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Is it wrong that I've slowed down?

I used to be a quick rider. This was especially the case around ten to fifteen years ago. I did a couple of advanced courses, a couple of performance riding courses and some track based cornering and braking courses. I did a lot of track days and even decided to go to the expense of buying a one piece BKS race suit because of how much track time I was having. At a track day at Darley Moor on my VTR I was informed by the head marshall that my fastest lap time would have placed me 2nd on the grid at the previous weekend's 600cc production race!! But then I got married and didn't ride anywhere near as often as I used to. Then after getting divorced a few years back I fancied a change in the type of bike I had which led me to buy my CB early last year (which I love). I like to think that I am still a competent, safe rider ...... but there is no doubting the fact that I am simply nowhere near as quick as I used to be. Indeed, I feel that if I was to try and ride at the sort of pace I used to ride at (and many including a couple of coppers told me I was perfectly safe) I would get into trouble. I am planning this year on doing at least one, hopefully two, refresher courses as even though I haven't ever been without a bike, you do pick up bad habits and loose good ones. But even then, I'm not sure I would be that interested in riding as quick as I used to .... The question is, is this a bad thing?

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 03/04/2008 08:25  

yu aint exactly gonn be a sunday driver are yu!!an wat about me at my age i still have the rare blast!but happy cruising the speed limits!saves my licence as well!.but aint frightened to open up to get past an out of trouble!!an feel perfectly safe!i feel ridin a bike keeps me alert!despite nearly dozing of in Dave d's company!!

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 03/04/2008 08:53  

It doesn't bother me that I've slowed down on the road. I'm still quick, but a damn sight safer.

I leave my hooligan antics for the track nowadays, which is why I sold my Gixer Thou, and went down to a Daytona 955i, and then down to an SV650. I don't need a bike that can do 110mph in 2nd on the road, there's too much temptation to use it to the limit.

Update Reply
Daytona_man @ 03/04/2008 08:56  

maybe its time for that oap's harley?

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 03/04/2008 08:57  

I would rather cut off and eat my own testicles than be seen on any Harley.

Update Reply
Daytona_man @ 03/04/2008 08:59  

oop's bit final that! an i meant geaof!!

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 03/04/2008 09:02  

You are better safe than sorry! I love speed on a bike, but today with the volume of traffic, all the road restrictions etc, it is best to keep your license. It would cost a small fortune to get it back! I agree with DM save your racing to the track! You will live to ride another day!

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 03/04/2008 09:08  

I would rather eat Daytona's testicles as well than swap for a Harley lol

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 03/04/2008 10:56  

...........Id say, not wrong just riding to your abilities and limits and knowing them! Sounds very sensible not wrong to me - Im sure most ppl would rather have you safe and enjoying your bike when out riding than dicing with death trying to ride the way you used to when you know you should be slowing down!! My philosophy, each to their own - always listen to those more experienced and knowledgable than you but be true to thine self and do what feels right for you too! It worked for me, I passed my "big" bike test last year being vertically challenged, the wrong side of 40 and having never been on a bike before, having a whale of a time now but also know my limitations and taking my time to get my biking experience bearing in mind safety always..................... Good on ya - safe but enjoyable riding!! Sandy

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/04/2008 11:13  

i agree with you geoff i used to be quite a quick lad so i have been told i have definatley slowed down but i still have my moments i prefer to chase rather than lead these days ?

Update Reply
old gixer boy @ 03/04/2008 11:48  

I think its down to reaction times and worrying about hazards on the road. I never worried back in 1985 when i had my Kwak 900r about who or what might be round the corner. Or about sitting at 120 or 130 all the way up the M50 from south wales. i had a sit on a friends R1 at Bassetts pole the other night and thought how the f@~k can she possible ride this as i never felt at all comfortable on it. riding that at speed for me would have been suicidal. I also think the bikes give a false sense of security now. I'd like to see some of these rudolph nurayevs with there beer guts pushing out the front of their alpine stars one piece, get on a GS1000 with yoshi cams. and push it as hard as they would on their own bikes. Geoff like you i'll stick to the CB. Quick enough for me. I can pretend i'm freddie spencer coming round the wall at Daytona. I usually only push myself when i'm riding by myself. i wont be pressured into making mistakes trying to keep up with someone who has better reactions and better eyesight. Keep Safe

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 03/04/2008 13:28  

Geoff - ask Daytona nicely and he might let you ! I don't generally hang around, but only ride hard when I feel safe to Like Blues - I won't push it to keep up with someone else (a particular friend does spring to mind) Personally I fancy doing a race school to raise my confidence - but that's just for me I work on the basis that I've been riding for 23 years now (on and off in the earlier years) - so I can't be doing it all wrong

Update Reply
stueylewie @ 03/04/2008 14:55  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email