MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Kill switch... Is this true?

Kill switch... Is this true? - Forums [Biker Match] Kill switch... Is this true? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Kill switch... Is this true?

Hi all

Back in the 80s/90s I recall biker mates who used to say don't use the kill switch to turn the bike off all the time as it damages the coil. Turn off with the key.

Is this true?

Update Reply
Wilbur918RR @ 13/02/2023 22:12  

No its just a switch, I've used mine thousands of times and never had a problem

Update Reply
JP @ 14/02/2023 03:00  

No, it will be fine. If anything you should use it regularly so you know it works.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 14/02/2023 07:48  

Sounds like an urban myth then. Cheers both 😎

Update Reply
Wilbur918RR @ 14/02/2023 16:04  

Has to work for the dreded m o t

Update Reply
havfun @ 27/02/2023 12:23  

easier to reach than the effing key! (at least on my bike it is)
either kill switch or side stand down while still in gear

Update Reply
izzyhill @ 27/02/2023 13:11  

On the Norton Rotays it was suggested turn off the kill switch first then the ignition. I continue to do and on my hinkly triumphs.

Update Reply
Wayne121 @ 07/07/2023 23:09  

I use to be an instructor, worked for a motorcycle school years ago, the official line from the examiners were that the kill switch should only be used in an emergency, certainly don't be using it whilst you are on your test.
What we were lead to believe back then, is that over use of that switch could wear it out resulting in it not actually working when you needed it the most, how true that is, I really don't know but I can see some logic in that.

Update Reply
Addicted to bikes @ 05/09/2023 07:42  

Over use of the key will wear that out too so best to put the rear brake on and stall it, ? arr that will wear the rear brake light swich out ?? fuck it just turn the petrol off and wait

Update Reply
JP @ 05/09/2023 18:14  

Turn the petrol off how exactly, I haven't had a bike with a petrol tap in years🤔

Update Reply
Strom67 @ 05/09/2023 18:19  

mole grips on the pipe lol

Update Reply
JP @ 05/09/2023 18:24  

Yes, everything is going to wear out at some point but this is a critical safety switch, like with other such critical warning or safety systems/procedures in other situations, a daily or weekly check/test is recommended, not constant use as such.

Back in the 90's I experienced the throttle on an Astra GTE jam open once, using the brakes etc had little effect at slowing down, only turning the ignition key, that were terrifying and I did wonder why cars weren't also fitted with a kill switch funny enough.

----------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Over use of the key will wear that out too so best to put the rear brake on and stall it, ? arr that will wear the rear brake light swich out ?? fuck it just turn the petrol off and wait...

Update Reply
Addicted to bikes @ 06/09/2023 08:51  

If it were a safety critical switch the would be 1 on each side of the bike. As for a car throttle sticking wide open you just depress the clutch and take the car out of gear never turn off the ignition when moving as you could inadvertently engage the street lock

Update Reply
JP @ 06/09/2023 09:01  

Come on now, saying that there would be a switch on each side of the bike is getting a bit silly now, going by that logic, cars should have two hand brakes to pull I suppose?
I did depress the clutch and I only turned the ignition switch to cut the power to the engine, not engage the steering lock.

Quote:
If it were a safety critical switch the would be 1 on each side of the bike. As for a car throttle sticking wide open you just depress the clutch and take the car out of gear never turn off the igniti...

Update Reply
Addicted to bikes @ 06/09/2023 09:36  

You started this by saying that it is a safety critical item lol

Update Reply
JP @ 06/09/2023 11:34  

Is this the official Harley Davidson and Sidecar stopping procedure?

Quote:
?? fuck it just turn the petrol off and wait...

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 06/09/2023 12:28  

No Steve I'm buying fink a new anchor to chuck ove the side

Update Reply
JP @ 06/09/2023 12:58  

Well if it isn't, why do you think that all the main manufactures at least fit one then? You think it's just an ornament. LOL
It doesn't make any sense for them to make and fit such a thing from the start, expecting a rider to use it regularly when there's an ignition switch for that.

Quote:
You started this by saying that it is a safety critical item lol...

Update Reply
Addicted to bikes @ 07/09/2023 09:19  

Ok so please explain why it is a "safety critical" switch

Update Reply
JP @ 07/09/2023 17:49  

I'm getting bored of this.. Click on the link.

https://www.motodeal.com.ph/articles/motorcycle-features/it-okay-use-killswitch-when-turning-off-your-motorcycle#:~:text=The%20killswitch%20may%20seem%20like,answer%20is%20a%20resounding%20yes.

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 07/09/2023 18:52  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email