MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Kill switch... Is this true?

Kill switch... Is this true? (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Kill switch... Is this true? (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Kill switch... Is this true?

In relation to what is now becoming comical. Its a safety kill switch. And the guy/gal ( without a picture) I'm guessing you have not dropped , or rather almost dropped a bike when the engine has been running. If and when you do, you will then find out, that in fact its quite handy. Recently and not the first time, I've had 200kg, screaming its diddies orrf, myself, pound signs flashing and the imminent damage in the process of happening. Its impossible to reach for the key. Its impossible to kick the stand down , it's impossible to heave the bike back up. It's more often than not, very possible, with a mere slight movement of your thumb to knock the engine off. Which depending on make n model. Could quite possibly be run short of engine oil, dependant on oil level and oil pickup pipe positioning.

Case closed ....... lol 😆

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/09/2023 00:33  

I'm totally with you, it's JP who seems to have a problem with what's being said here, the switch in question is indeed a safety item and yes, I've had to use one in the situation that you describe too, learners falling over whilst attempting the figure of 8 etc and the engine screaming away.

Like with a bike having a working front brake, I'd call that a critical safety item, I'm guessing that JP would argue with my wording on that too? Whatever,...at the end of the day, I and many others know that a kill switch was never meant to be used regularly like the ignition key is.

----------------------------------------------------

Quote:
In relation to what is now becoming comical. Its a safety kill switch. And the guy/gal ( without a picture) I'm guessing you have not dropped , or rather almost dropped a bike when the engine has been...

Update Reply
Addicted to bikes @ 08/09/2023 14:52  

at least I dont hide

Update Reply
JP @ 08/09/2023 17:23  

When someones whole profile states 'tell you later' or 'unknown' , with no photos, its difficult to judge who or what you are responding too...

Anyway, a kill switch kills the engine doesn't it? If it's dark or foggy and you are at the side of the road the lights would remain on for safety whereas the ignition switch turns everything off. Yes if you use it 574 times a day it will wear out quicker🙄 Regular use of it once or twice a day could be seen as a safety test..

Maybe 'someone' should do a repetitive test to see how many times one can use the switch before it expires.. I await the results with baited breath 🤔

Update Reply
Strom67 @ 08/09/2023 20:17  

Is there anyway of adding likes to posts 😆

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/09/2023 21:54  

All this about repeated use wearing things out had got me worried.
I look in my right side mirror much more than the left. Will it wear out quicker? And if so will having an unworn left mirror and worn right make the bike unstable.
I'll lie awake at night now worrying about this. 😳

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 09/09/2023 17:46  

Rather than divert/change the subject, why can't you admit that you are just wrong/said some stupid things on this subject?

Most people seem to agree that the whole idea of this switch is for safety reasons, rather than used like an ignition switch!

Quote:
at least I dont hide...

Update Reply
Addicted to bikes @ 09/09/2023 21:51  

Me thinks someone doth misseth the point....

Update Reply
Strom67 @ 09/09/2023 22:31  

I would say it's a useful switch above all else, it disarms the ignition (and on many cuts power to the starter) but leaves everything else live. Useful when working on the bike. Useful when the bike goes down as previously mentioned too....
Safety critical would make it a) compulsory and b) an MOT item. It is mandatory in the US to have a kill switch so I guess that's why nearly all bikes have them.... Along with sidestand and clutch switches, here in the UK there is no legal requirement, and the latter get disposed of on my bikes pretty quickly if I'm keeping it

Update Reply
suzook12 @ 10/09/2023 14:01  

Addicted to bikes your words, "I'm totally with you, it's JP who seems to have a problem with what's being said here".
Ok yes I am, it started as a light-hearted reply about a switch wearing out, then the use of Safety Critical Switch being brought in. It is NOT safety Critical, its is a switch that as stated kills the ignition that's all, Yes it could be useful when you drop the bike to shut down the engine which would of already stop due to the tilt switch activating.
As for your comment on my pointing out you don't have a profile.
I will tell you later

Update Reply
JP @ 10/09/2023 17:36  

Well thanks for being grown up enough to admit that you have been a bit of an arse here, we could argue about this switch being a critical safety item all day long hey, even the post by suzook12, stating that it's mandatory in the US for a bike to have one won't convince you either I bet.

Please, don't even bother telling me anything later, I'd rather not communicate with you at all if I'm honest.

Quote:
Addicted to bikes your words, "I'm totally with you, it's JP who seems to have a problem with what's being said here".
Ok yes I am, it started as a light-hearted reply about a switch wearing out, then...

Update Reply
Addicted to bikes @ 12/09/2023 09:37  

You really are thick

Update Reply
JP @ 12/09/2023 11:47  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email