MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

Motorcycles and 2030

Motorcycles and 2030 - Forums [Biker Match] Motorcycles and 2030 - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

Motorcycles and 2030

MAG receives confirmation that motorcycles are ‘not in scope’ for 2030
end of sale of petrol and diesel vehicles.

The Government has announced that the UK will end the sale of petrol and
diesel cars and vans by 2030. The Motorcycle Action Group (MAG) has
received confirmation from the Department for Transport (DfT) that the
sale of petrol motorcycles is not in scope of today’s announcement.

The Government today (18th November 2020) formally announced a Ten Point
Plan for a Green Industrial Revolution. Included in the plan is the
announcement that the sale of new petrol and diesel cars and vans in the
UK will end by 2030. This is ten years earlier than planned.

The position on motorcycles is not mentioned in the announcement. MAG
therefore contacted the DfT for clarification. We received confirmation
that motorcycles are not in scope of today’s announcement regarding the
ending of sale of petrol and diesel cars and vans.

The Department contact went on to say that there are no timeframes for
ending the sale of petrol/diesel motorcycles. Further, should the
department wish to make such an announcement, they will consult first
with the Motorcycle Action Group and its members.

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 18/11/2020 21:24  

I cant see it happening unless they drastically reduce the number of vehicles on the road. How do you home charge if you dont have a driveway, there just wont be the charging points on motorway service stations due to they wont wont to pay the bill to have them installed.

Update Reply
JP @ 19/11/2020 03:21  

I don't get that, what use will diesel and petrol vehicles be if there aren't enough customers to buy the fuel, who is going to stock a fuel not many ask for? Therefore sales of diesel/petrol motorbikes, new or old, will plummet.
Motorcycle museums will do a roaring trade.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 19/11/2020 07:22  

It wont create jobs it will cost many thousands of jobs especially in the support sector like spares manufacturers and suppliers, maintenance/service companies.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 19/11/2020 07:32  

And stockpiling modern petrol won't be an answer for many of us,it degrades so quickly,and such poor quality....blocks carb jets very quickly..also attacks steel fuel tanks if left long enough..

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 19/11/2020 09:10  

there's always the use of ethanol and methanol, in Oz they use some in there fuel on the road not sure of the percentage mix of the stuff,if you distil your own moonshine you will get both in different qualities,you can already make your own diesel maybe a mix of both to use instead of petrol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 19/11/2020 10:24  

Mad Max may become a reality after all ....

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 19/11/2020 14:25  

kentishmaid dibs on gooses bike

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 19/11/2020 15:01  

Think I will buy shares in any extension cable companies - there will be a massive demand from the folks in live in high rise flats!

Update Reply
Mister Pete - Optimist @ 19/11/2020 20:23  

More extension cables/power leads means more copper used, more copper mining, eg Africa, more Chinese roads built in Africa, more pollution. See where I'm going with this. 🤔

Update Reply
Dove @ 21/11/2020 09:27  

Yes Dove its the same as smart meters, They say you just charge up over night but you will fine a smart meter will know your charging your bike/car and add a duty to the amount of power you have consumed charging said vehicle. Im sick of being told they were coming to change me to a smart meter.

Update Reply
JP @ 21/11/2020 10:48  

JP they were only wanting to fit smart meter to your house not change you! 😀
They've also been talking of charging tolls on more roads because they're making less money from road tax due to more electric. Probably black boxes on all vehicles!
Must read '1984' again.

Update Reply
Dove @ 21/11/2020 13:29  

Dove, I had a smart meter installed and was emailed like a stalker would behave. They kept asking for a meter reading. Why the hell did they want me to do their job, especially when they told me that once the smart meters were in, the readings would go from meter to supplier, no need to send meter readings or have a meter reading done at my home by a meter reader.

This was a very long time ago, I threatened them with reporting them for harassment and to stop sending me emails, yet recently they've started asking me for meter readings again, because of the health and safety of their employees, due to the virus. What the hell are they on about, the readings go thro', electronically!!
Jeez!

Update Reply
Sandi @ 21/11/2020 19:46  

Electric vehicles are still evolving, by 2030 massive changes will have taken place, particularly inductive loop charging which will remove the need for cables...by 2040 autonomous vehicles will have been introduced so no one will need a driveway as the vehicle they use will arrive at their door as the individual leaves the premises..and there will be no requirement for car parks given that as soon as one arrive at one's destination the vehicle will depart to its next service provision. This is called progress..its unstoppable and will happen.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 12/12/2020 20:19  

Fortunately not in my lifetime...I'm just grateful to have existed in an era of such freedom as the last few decades have been..

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 12/12/2020 20:21  

They are stopping the sale of new petrol and diesel cars and vans by 2030. This doesn’t mean that you can’t buy a second hand petrol or diesel vehicle after this date. Petrol and diesel will still be available to buy for many years to come as there will be hundreds of thousands of vehicles on the road that will need fuel. Over time when cars reach the end of there useable time is when service stations will slowly disappear. In my opinion 🤓

Update Reply
Laidback Darren @ 11/03/2021 13:00  

Hi folks, just wanted to add to this thread here.Electric bikes don't appeal to me at all.They do not interest me whatsoever.I find them boring.Completely devoid of exotic appeal.Give me a featherweight v twin sports bike with a single open exhaust with a nice soundtrack any day of the week.

Update Reply
NathCBR01 @ 11/03/2021 13:17  

Looks like there may be a need for pannier tanks if you do long rides on back roads but there again i might not be here when that becomes necessary

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 19/03/2021 13:46  

Hi, I am new on here. I didn't think we had enough green power stations in the country for the current demand let alone millions of electric vehicles. I assume the demand will be fulfilled with Russian electricity produced from coal or oil. I can just see the queues at motorway service stations for the charge points and you'll be able to do your shopping while you wait, just like airports. Looking forward to my autonomous solar powered bike or will it use scaletrics brushes from the road ?

Update Reply
Rickardo @ 11/04/2021 21:48  

How about nuclear/fusion power plant on each vehicle. Apparently (so they claim) very safe and cheap. Most of us already have all over protective gear, all it needs is a little lead sown in. 🤔

Update Reply
Dove @ 11/04/2021 23:58  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email