MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Engine paint help

Engine paint help - Forums [Biker Match] Engine paint help - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Engine paint help

I have that black 'crackle surface' type paint on an HD Fat Bob engine, but there are bits where it needs repainting- the paint just falls off the metal. (I know, poor quality finish on a harley; who'd have thought it!)

I should be really grateful for any suggestions as to painting in the bits of exposed engine, what to use, how to get the least obvious join between the old and new paint- pretty much any practical advice. (My son already suggested getting rid of the bike.)

Update Reply
Gallowglass @ 24/06/2020 12:13  

Try black engine paint off ebay, i,ve used it a few times on my bikes with no issues. Use a very small artists brush and blend it in.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/06/2020 14:14  

I've used PJ1 in the past who do a wrinkle finish in an aerosol.
VHT wrinkle finish is also available and cheaper it seems, though some users apparently report that adhesion is better with an etch primer.
Also available in aerosol, though I don't know the max' working for that.

Time to start Googling I think.

Update Reply
invalid characters @ 24/06/2020 16:23  

Some of the black finishes on Triumph engines seems a bit dodgy,only lasted 25 years on my 900 Tiger before i had to repaint some outer casings...B&Q Satin Black Barbeque Paint seems to last best...wrinkle bit might be a pain to reproduce over large areas...bound to be a Youtube video though,lol

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 25/06/2020 09:11  

Thank you so much gentlemen- that all gives me a great starting point. I always like to ask fellow bikers for personal recommendations!

Update Reply
Gallowglass @ 25/06/2020 18:12  

Mikris Finishers in Stonehouse,Glos,did some fork bottoms and both yokes in exactly the same effect on a friends Ducati single,quite some years ago..if all else fails,i'll ask them for you...or check them out at www.mikris-finishers.co.uk...

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 25/06/2020 18:50  

Thanks, Jinx, I'll take a look!

Update Reply
Gallowglass @ 26/06/2020 08:27  

There are powder coaters who can do a crinkle finish, seen several done at car and bike shows.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/07/2020 14:28  

Powder coat looks well when done right

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/07/2020 16:56  

Thanks for the suggestions!

Update Reply
Gallowglass @ 16/07/2020 07:17  

Hello

Update Reply
Tazman57 @ 16/07/2020 19:47  

Satin or gloss engine paint from eBay I used satin on my exhausts they came up well

Update Reply
póg mo thóin @ 23/07/2020 15:46  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email