MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Automatic direct access license

Automatic direct access license - Forums [Biker Match] Automatic direct access license - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Automatic direct access license

I'm currently riding on my CBT and thinking of going for either direct access / A2 license. I don't want to do manual because i can't stand all that faff with the gears when I can just twist and go.

My problem is, in my town they don't do automatic bikes, I'd have to bring my own. I've asked them what engine sizes can I use and they told me that the test is done on 650cc for direct access and 500cc for A2.

I don't want to ask again about what sizes I need because I asked already 3 times and keep getting this 650 / 500 answer which to me is a bit vague.

Do I need to try and somehow find a scooter thats *exactly* 650 / 500, can I go as low as 400, or even as high as 850.

Basically what is the minimum and what is the maximum is what im asking for both licenses. I just want to be sure seeing as I have to buy my own bike. I want it to be the size I'd like really but I also want it to be suitable for the test at the same time.

Update Reply
Jenna @ 18/05/2020 20:10  

It's done on BHP and not CC and 47 BHP is the A2.

The way it works you could use an older and bigger cc bike for A2 if it doesn't go above 47BHP

The reason the school says 500cc and 650cc makes it easier for most people to get the idea without going into to much detail.

Due to lack of call for automatic A's and A2 tests most schools will not invest 4k to 5k in the scooters that will hardly be used.

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 18/05/2020 20:36  

I think A2 is any bike not exceeding 47bhp, either as manufactured or restricted and the test requires a minimum of 395cc.
Full A licence requires a test on a bike of at least 600cc and 54bhp.

There are not many scooters in the A class, possibly a Burgman 650, or you are looking at one of the Honda DCT range.
If you want a scooter then you may as well go A2, the T-Max is A2 and that's as good as it gets albeit bloody expensive.
A Suzuki Burgman 400 might fit the bill - you should be able to pick up a good one for a couple of grand - but do check the engine size as I think early ones are below the 395cc limit.

You'd better check with the DVLC website before spending money though.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 18/05/2020 20:46  

Right ok that makes some sense. What would be the minimum BHP I could get away with?

Ragnar - You're an instructor aren't you? Would you mind if I show you the bike I'd want to get before I buy so you can let me know whether it's suitable or not?

Questions questions questions..

Update Reply
Jenna @ 18/05/2020 20:54  

Gears are probably a lot easier than you realise, don't over think it, it will come naturally after a while, and then you won't be restricted to an automatic bike, just have a go, you won't regret it.

Update Reply
Fink @ 18/05/2020 23:24  

Gears on a bike easier to use than those in a car.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 19/05/2020 00:21  

The bike must put out more than 33bhp but not more than 46.6bhp
The best people to ask if the bike you are looking at are the DVSA and they have a full list of all bikes that can be used for the A2 test

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 19/05/2020 07:13  

Hi jenna
The advice I'd give is to try a geared bike to see how you get on with it, my sister has never ridden a bike before ever and she rode my 200cc geared bike arround a car park in 10 mins of simple instruction, so if you already have a bit of road craft it should come easy to you, this will ultimately widen your horizon in bike choice
Best of luck either way x

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 19/05/2020 09:07  

Thanks I've had a little go ages ago one dubs' bikes. Did his 125cc first which seemed ok, just didn't make any sense to me, but tried again the other day in hope it would make more sense on his 750cc but nope just put me off even more! The noise put me off more than anything though as my neighbours complain.

I'll have to start practising with gears a bit more on the 125cc I think and just do another CBT. I do well over think it, maybe that's the problem!

----------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Gears are probably a lot easier than you realise, don't over think it, it will come naturally after a while, and then you won't be restricted to an automatic bike, just have a go, you won't regret it....

Update Reply
Jenna @ 19/05/2020 09:10  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email