MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Electric bikes

Electric bikes - Forums [Biker Match] Electric bikes - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Electric bikes

Hi 😊

What's everyone's thoughts on electric bikes?
It came up on my newsfeed about harley's doing an electric bike, I wonder what they'll sound like because I would've thought most people buying harley's are after the look and sound as well as the name.

Me personally, I prefer bikes to make a sound, not too loud but a nice rumble.

Share your thoughts

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/07/2019 12:04  

I would not be surprised if hd had some sort of sound effect to simulate their trademark rumble. Just a thought though, maybe I should patent the idea!

Update Reply
Double six @ 15/07/2019 13:09  

There is a new EU ruling coming out for cars to say they need a noise generator on new ones after a certain year.

Update Reply
Paddy1968 @ 15/07/2019 13:23  

I'm already saving all the lolly sticks i can....hope they fit these bikes with spoked wheels..!!:)>

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 15/07/2019 14:01  

Folded up fag packets work better than lolly sticks cos they snap after a while, the fag packets just bend and also make a deeper sound.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/07/2019 14:44  

Had an electric Golf for a while. Claimed range was180 miles, this went down to 80 in the depths of winter. Power was from 250 laptop batteries that weighed 360 kg. Battery technology needs to improve greatly!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/07/2019 16:20  

Whilst battery technology moves apace,and size compared to output is still improving,how the hell will they replicate that RAAAAWWWRRRRRGRWL from the airbox on my Hinckley Triumphs,3 or 4 cylinder.?..perhaps a recording fed through some speakers....
I think i speak for more than just the Luddites on BM (me,lol) when i say i'll keep riding internal combustion powered bikes until it's outlawed,then sneak out at night on my Jack Daniels Special...could replace Castrol R as a new bike scented memory...or emigrate to Australia where solar powered bikes are at least feasible...whatever you ride now,make the most of it,folks....:)> ""OO""

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 15/07/2019 21:26  

Strangely enough I was with someone over the weekend looking at Zero Motorcycles (model SR/F)at a bike shop in Peterborough.

The sales guy said he used a demo bike for commuting on a regular basis and was happy with the performance and ride. I wasn't really listening to the specification chat but from what I did hear it seems that depending on the setting/mode you use for distance/weather etc the performance is great. To charge the battery it wasn't too time consuming and it's simple to do.

The dashboard was simple and easy to read. There is an app that allows you to manage settings between fone and bike.
There was some chat about noise but I can't remember (as I was busy eyeing a MV Augusta and a Ducati - typical woman!) but I'm sure he will remember.

From this month all new types of four-wheel electric vehicle must be fitted with a noise emitting device, which sounds like a traditional engine.

A car's acoustic vehicle alert system (Avas) must sound when reversing or travelling below 12mph (19km/h).

Apparently this does not apply to two wheeled vehicles. There was a bit of a chat about the possibility of an after market product offering various sounds but it was in banter. However it could in reality happen.

Points to Note:
From 2021 all new electric cars must have an Avas.

The government has announced plans to ban new petrol and diesel cars and vans being sold by 2040.

Update Reply
Lindsay @ 15/07/2019 21:37  

Perhaps the way forward with this is to mass email motor cyclists 6 hours before all-electric Volvo,BMW and Audi drivers go out for a bimble about.Give us time for a blast and get home safe...for the record,i've already nearly been hit by an electric VW Golf in Cirencester whilst unloading a wheelchair bound passenger...no noise ,it just wafted up too close whilst the driver was scanning for parking spaces..worrying,when some of my customers are severely visually impaired...(blind)

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 15/07/2019 23:10  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email