MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Just Curious

Just Curious - Forums [Biker Match] Just Curious - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Just Curious

I've just watched an episode of The Sweeney, 70s cop' drama, there was a Triumph Bonneville with a number plate to the FRONT of it. Was that standard in the 70s? I don't ever recall seeing a plate on the front of a bike.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 20/06/2019 19:15  

Yep, I got on the road in 74 (KTM Comet Cross.) that had a 'plate on the front (N reg'.), but my first proper bike (RD250) didn't a year later.

Update Reply
invalid characters @ 20/06/2019 19:35  

Righto, thanks for that I C.
In 1975 I was 17 so that seems about right, I wouldn't have seen many plates to the front.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 20/06/2019 20:48  

When the day came and we could get rid of our 'pedestrian slicers',they all ended up on the public bar wall in the Welsh Harp,London Road, Gloucester...stayed up there for years,last bike i had with a front plate was my old 1970 Triumph Tiger 100 (got removed)....some of us were even clever enough to work out that we now had an advantage over cars when it came to speed cameras,which were spreading like weeds everywhere...:)>

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 20/06/2019 20:57  

Thanks for the info Jinx, very interesting 👍

Update Reply
Sandi @ 20/06/2019 21:23  

Still watch 'The Sweeney' - wonder if the drinking culture was that bad (bottle of scotch in the desk draw). Back to the subject - l'm far to young to remember front mud guard number plates 🤣. My first BSA had a black & white front number plate, couldn't wait to take it off - wish l had kept the plate and the bike 😏😫😶

Update Reply
Aden24 @ 21/06/2019 08:37  

Ooh Jinx,i remember The Welsh Harp in Gloucester.Used to go there a lot when lived in Gloucester back in the 90s.Apparently,it's a shop now! Good memories though.....I had a BSA Bantam,back in the 70s,That had a bacon slicer..i mean front number plate.

Update Reply
molli @ 21/06/2019 10:00  

The back bar used to be a very popular spot for greebos,spent too many hours in there playing 3 card brag and drinking rough cider or English Ale(Whitbread diabetic beer,enormously potent,lol)

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 21/06/2019 11:16  

I've just remembered that the front plate was side on, the one I saw in the Sweeney was across the front. That's what threw me. Can't say I've ever heard the expression bacon slicer for plate.

Molli my first bike was a Bantam. Had part of a washing up bottle for an air filter 🤣

Update Reply
Sandi @ 21/06/2019 20:05  

Haven't heard the term greebo used for decades.

Update Reply
Double six @ 21/06/2019 20:08  

Me neither 66, or greaser. Reminds me of pubs with signs on the door 'No bikers'

----------------------------------------------------

Quote: double six
Haven't heard the term greebo used for decades.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 21/06/2019 20:14  

Never had signs on the doors from my neck of the woods Sandi but greebs, greasers and bikers knew where the best boozers were and stuck to them.

Update Reply
Double six @ 21/06/2019 20:23  

66, my neck of the woods in the 70s was Portsmouth in Hampshire. Nearly every pub had the sign on their door, or so it seemed. They stated 'bikers' because they assumed all bike riders were Hell's Angels. HA, at that time, were causing a lot of trouble.
My local was 8 miles away, at a bikers / rock n roll pub. No sign on the door 😁

----------------------------------------------------

Quote: double six
Never had signs on the doors from my neck of the woods Sandi but greebs, greasers and bikers knew where the best boozers were and stuck to them.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 22/06/2019 08:32  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email