MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Pillion code (not Highway Code)

Pillion code (not Highway Code) - Forums [Biker Match] Pillion code (not Highway Code) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Pillion code (not Highway Code)

It's been sometime since l took my pillion seat off and wondered if the communication 'tapping' code between you and your pillion has changed? Tap on the helmet (trying to keep this clean) meant slow down and frantic taps meant; "No, really slow down!" Or words to that effect😅

Update Reply
Aden24 @ 08/06/2019 08:55  

Old mate of mine used to bang her knees together to go faster.
I bottled first :-(

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 08/06/2019 10:15  

I hate to say it but for me that wouldn't work. It was the pillion who came on at their own risk. The rider had full control of the whole situation and the passenger just had to go with it and trust the rider.

Okay the passenger would have some input by leaning forward with warnings and disagreements. If they had their doubts they could always refuse to get on at all. Or inform the rider prior to go steady.

But tapping on a helmet, even though it may be an old technique(I never heard of this myself) would personally have well annoyed me and if someone was doing that to me. It would feel like I was been controlled from behind and that for me would be dangerous and off putting.

The control aspect whilst driving is important to me due to my various driver training with different vehicles. Which includes bikes, car, class 1 h.g.v and bus driving along with all its professional driver training.

It was drilled in to me from day one, that you the driver, are in control and no one else. Makes it safer that way.

I now realise why I bought a motorcycle with a single seat 🤣😂🤭😁

Update Reply
yorkie mick @ 08/06/2019 11:51  

Used to punch hubby in the ribs if he accelerated too quick... He was usually black and blue bless him pmsl

Update Reply
TheSlasher @ 08/06/2019 12:12  

Wouldn't it make more sense to discuss codes or whatever you want to call it with the pillion prior to setting off.....

Update Reply
TheSlasher @ 08/06/2019 12:13  

What does screaming and tears mean?
I've looked for it in my code book, and it's not listed!

Update Reply
invalid characters @ 08/06/2019 12:16  

I only have the driver tap my left knee to tell me they are opening up the throttle so tuck in and cling on lol.

Update Reply
Little Sue @ 08/06/2019 12:19  

I’m willing to pilly any rider!

Update Reply
Little Sue @ 08/06/2019 12:21  

That's the only one I ever used TBH Sue.

----------------------------------------------------

Quote:
I only have the driver tap my left knee to tell me they are opening up the throttle so tuck in and cling on lol.

Update Reply
invalid characters @ 08/06/2019 12:28  

Most riders I've pillioned with didn't have any communication signals. I have 3. Two of them with the left hand, one indicates I need the loo, my fingers crossed as in legs crossed. The other one with flat hand signalling to pull over, when safe to do so, as I need to get off, it's an emergency. The third signal is a gentle tap of the right shoulder, to indicate I'm comfy and it's ok to move off.

I think it's important to have these signals. As Lyn says better discussing signals before setting off.

I don't do helmet tapping or trying to shout to be heard, that is too distracting, and I don't wear an ear piece / intercom cos I don't want a conversation when I'm on a bike.
(The only time I don't talk a glass eye to sleep) 🤣

Update Reply
Sandi @ 08/06/2019 18:08  

I thought there was only my code.
You get to where I'm going when I get there and it's a cup of splosh and a gressy dog for me.

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 08/06/2019 20:05  

Never had a code, just tuck meself in and move with the bike when being a pilly. I much prefer driving myself and I don't take pillys to be honest...

Update Reply
Lulu7 @ 08/06/2019 21:23  

For you Lulu, I'll take you to where you would want to go, however I'll still demand a cup of splosh.

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 08/06/2019 21:44  

Aww bless ya Ragnar xxx Goes without saying you would be spoiled rotten by me xx

Update Reply
Lulu7 @ 08/06/2019 21:47  

Always found that a pair of ladies' leather clad thighs squeezing me tightly held my attention quite well,whatever message they were intended to convey...a squeeze on the thigh to knee area(on either side) means verbal communication is required....usually....a blow to the back of crash helmet means someone is not concentrating whilst i'm braking...i used to carry a pillion lady whose hands were prone to wander at random,but that had nothing to do with motorcycles.....;)>

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 10/06/2019 12:46  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email