MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Best Bike Mod.

Best Bike Mod. - Forums [Biker Match] Best Bike Mod. - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Best Bike Mod.

So here I'm not really thinking after market mods(I can pretty much replace my whole engine with titanium parts, nikasil barrels,etc).

But which mods have you made to your own bike(cheaply or DIY) which have really made a difference. This might be performance, easy for you, or just a general improvement in design.(as a side question. Has anyone tried one of these Crampbuster, throttle mods?).

Here are two examples; 1.when I stripped frame, I drilled steering head and swinging arm and fitted two grease nipples. Obviously no more stripping to grease bearings.(cost about £1).

2.I don't have electric at my garage, fitted solar panel to roof. Even in low winter light it works a treat(£60)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/10/2018 14:31  

I've been trying to think which of my mods was not expensive. I've got a 2 port USB plug in my top box. Originally I had the stop light kit fitted but it was useless. Fitted the USB gizmo, a few squid off fleabay and the bike end to 12v and not the brake light 😀
Long trips I can charge my phone and not worry when I get to the overnight stop.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/10/2018 17:28  

On old Guzzi twins,replace original brake light switches with VW aircooled Beetle 12V ones...don't fall to bits,last forever..Also junk 'oil collector box' nestling between engine and top of gearbox,use rubber hoses and a cable tie to reroute to above clutch arm pivot area...keep most winter crud off silly little bearings and their tunnel...unless you have a sick engine,oil won't end up on your rear tyre,before you ask...

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 24/10/2018 18:58  

If you can't afford hand guards (£6 - £8)for winter use,try cutting up a large ,round bleach bottle and 2 jubilee clips,keeps the worst of rain off hands...and most lemon ones are bright yellow..visible warning flash....tip: make sure bottle is empty first...;)>> Re-cycling too..!!

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 24/10/2018 19:04  

No cable oiler?Duct tape or plasticene can be used as a funnel to allow 3 in 1 oil or WD40 to let gravity do the job..not for the impatient!!...:)>

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 24/10/2018 19:11  

Winter helmet sunstrip for that 'low sun in eyes' moment.....old visor cut to inch wide strip,Poundland car windscreen smoked sunvisor/taillight tint kit....use together in between helmet shell and lining,just enough depth when you tilt your head.....:)> Interwebnet equivalent about £16-20 ....can supply paper template if you want to have a go...:)>

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 24/10/2018 19:16  

stevephi> I suppose we could have another thread about aftermarket mods, maybe I thought these would be well documented. Also I realise that motorbikes, once you start can become money pits. Strange you should mention 'stop light kit', that's something I need to update on mine. It's amazing how much stuff is out there to buy. I even saw one that attaches to the back of the helmet, but I thought I might look like a pinball machine.

If we extend this to gear and accessories(anything that makes life easier). I had trouble forcing sunglasses on, but found those cheap wrap a rounds sold to protect against drilling, to be ideal. Tinted and almost unbreakable. I also recently discovered the 3M scotchlite reflective tape. You can effectively have a completely black bike, black gear, but show up completely white at night! Simple but brilliant!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/10/2018 22:02  

The best bike mod is a suspension set up, it will be a completely different bike.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/10/2018 15:00  

Could you elucidate on that Cornholio. I think I definitely need to update my front suspension. They offer a better damper system, but I don't want to change it too much from the original in terms of forks. Have put some new Hagons on back recently.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/10/2018 15:44  

Just a basic setup for your weight is enough of a difference, there’s no need for different springs or revalving. If you can use a tape measure or a ruler, and a pen and paper, you can do it yourself.

It’s far too much to type into my phone, but Google setting ‘suspension sag’. It’s only static sag, and you can mess about with compression and rebound later if you need to, but sort the sag first.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/10/2018 16:20  

Checkout my photos. I have apair of LED spots which transform night time riding, wired to main beam via a relay. Oxford heated grips & a 12v power socket from the now defunct Maplins. Oxford expandable magnetic tank bag, usually located on the pillion seat allows a weeks shopping in one trip, with a soft folding sports bag in case l go shopping crazy.The tank bag has three pockets two of which will each accomodate a wine bottle. The third is permanently occupied with an aldi 12v air compressor which will get me home in the event of a puncture....☺

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/10/2018 17:27  

Thanks Cornholio I'll check that out.

Kawasakakitrev> some good suggestions there I'm definitely considering; the LED spots(maybe with an optional blue white flash), and the air compressor(got a cheap puncture repair can). Bought a scissor platform jack recently, and some Givi soft luggage which I'm impressed by(UT806 & EA114BK just for sleeping bag).

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/10/2018 18:37  

I'm with Cornholio about suspension, set up what you have for your weight and riding style first. It's free and can make a huge difference. And record what you do, but start with the standard settings then one bit at a time.
Check your tyre pressures too on a regular basis using your own gauge (not a garage one).
If you have a TDM 900 do the airbox mod, another free benefit that works.
Spending money?
Heated grips of course.
Decent tyres.
Chain drive = scottoiler.
A puncture repair kit. Squirty foam is cheap but don't expect anyone to repair the tyre afterwards, but sometimes that's better than been stranded miles from anywhere in the pissing rain.

This list could go on, but this is what works for me.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 25/10/2018 19:51  

Yes I just checked out suspension sag. I think my front springs may need changing. I'll do the maths. Oh if I get a puncture, I just get a new inner tube fitted. I've been picking up some tips from YT, wasn't sure if a compressor was necessary, but changing mind on that one. I'm of the thinking that if everything on bike, gear and luggage is taken care of(plus back ups). I can just concentrate on riding. Planning some European trips.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/10/2018 20:25  

Have to agree about Scottoiler,for sure....:)>

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 25/10/2018 20:26  

The compressor works well with the power socket. Majority of punctures are slow to deflate so you can get home by stopping to top up the pressure as needed & it beats a two hour wait for a recovery company..Another item l have is a cheap bicycle wire lock, a very easy to use item left around the handlebar area to secure your crash helmet. When visiting anywhere it is much better than trying to handle a hat/wallet/purchase situation..

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/10/2018 10:39  

On my KLR I have relocated the fuses to behind the left hand side panel. The standard location is under the seat, to gain access involves removal of both side panels and the seat, six bolts in all & very frustrating in a dark wet carpark..The previous owner had put an off road headlamp bulb in it with a higher wattage, subsequently it kept blowing the main fuse..took me a while to find the problem and l almost missed it..Fuse access now involves removal ofTWO screws only..
I have also added a toolkit to the bike, very odd kawasaki do not put one on this bike, l will add a photo to my profile pics as it does work very well.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/10/2018 15:09  

Yes toolkit is a definite. Glad to see as well that on recent trip, I stopped to clean the points, that it wasn't long before another biker stopped to check I was okay.

Do most people use satnavs these days? I imagine it could make life a lot easier, especially if approaching a busy junction with multiple other things to concentrate on.

I haven't switched, I have a theory that if we stop using our sense of direction, our minds will allocate the neurons to something else. So if satnav crashes, people will have forgotten art of navigation. Also I've noticed, that councils aren't bothering to trim back branches/leaves that grow in front of road signs.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 29/10/2018 15:38  

Satnav;Works brilliantly until you get into the centre of London and you are told GPS signal lost..then the system is worse than useless. My last European trip l took a large (A3+) book map of europe, rolled up & slid into a tube bungeed to the side of the bike (see profile pic of my ZX9) a group of guys on KTMs lost in Montenegro were very grateful, despite their top notch state of the art navigation systems. Using a map also encourages you to talk to people and generally get more involved with your locality. As a foot note, the Albanian coast road;if God built any roads it was this one....oh yes ☺

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/10/2018 11:04  

Good to hear you are keeping your navigation skills. I used to when couriering in London and environs have a brilliant sense of direction. I just after a quick look at an A-Z have an innate understanding. It's something I've lost as my neural net has restructured, but can be regained I hope.

It was interesting travelling around Europe on old bikes(Triumph), it drew crowds and if it broke down, people were always helpful and friendly. I remember one old guy insisting we put our bike in his commercial garage, and then he got out the brandy. And a French woman getting her children to carry food out to us.

When I took the Guzzi to Italy, it suddenly made sense, hacking around those mountain roads. My friend had to drag me off at midnight, and make me stop. That's the joy of biking.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/10/2018 21:05  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email