MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Too soon??????

Too soon?????? - Forums [Biker Match] Too soon?????? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Too soon??????

Just to set the scene, 3 years ago my wife departed with my son (my ride out partner). So there I was 2 years ago, running down the road at XXX mph when suddenly I thought, "Hold on I'm 56 years old. If something happens I'm not going to get out of trouble." I know my reactions have slowed. Two years on 'the beast' had covered just 63 miles more so I let her go this summer. Looking out the window on this sunny day was it too early to give up the bike. Must admit I always hated riding in the rain. When do you think it's time to hang up the boots?

Update Reply
Dondon @ 25/08/2018 15:42  

I realised my reflexes weren't as good as they used to be when I hit the age of 67. I sold my Triumph Trophy 1200 and invested in a Ural Dalesman - best bike I've ever had (I'm now 70+)

Update Reply
RiderDave @ 25/08/2018 16:03  

when you no longer enjoy it or can no longer do it for me thats the only time i will stop riding . only you can answer the question and when you know then you know

Update Reply
Westy64 @ 25/08/2018 17:46  

Reading what you describe, I'm thinking your confidence has dropped due to not getting out on the bike.
I would also think that personal stuff has been distracting and also playing on your mind.
Both are human and totally natural. Been in the same place, myself.
Small steps, I guess...to building yourself up again in your own time. There's no rush...it's all about being in the right frame of mind and riding within your own limits.

We all have moments when we don't feel ready.

You never know...not having the bike and taking a break to think about it could fire up a desire for a new adventure...when it stops raining :)

Update Reply
nickscafe @ 25/08/2018 19:40  

Never babe !!! never!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/08/2018 20:57  

When you’re dead!!

You don’t stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/08/2018 10:43  

For the last couple of years on our Europe tours, we've had a 78yr old along with us riding an R6!
We were on more comfy tourers/modern uprights:)
And he was drinking Vodka Sorbets when we were at Lake Garda......

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/08/2018 11:06  

Motorcycling is not an age thing, like said already its all about confidence and whether you are still enjoying it, the fact you have doubts about your decision tells me you made it in haste, get those boots back on and get out there before it definitely is too late.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/08/2018 15:39  

Well said Cornho, from an old fella, who rides almost every day all year round, lol

Update Reply
Tezza1958 @ 26/08/2018 20:51  

There are always different kinds of bikes for different kinds of riding. They are all on 2 wheels and can all give a buzz to the rider without having to do XXXmph. Maybe you just need to try a different style of bike, not give up riding altogether?

Update Reply
SusiPop @ 27/08/2018 09:50  

56 is young still......... Don't let a number dictate what you can or can't do....... Do what makes you happy and if you're worried about reaction times then don't go so fast..... Simples 😊😊... But don't ever give up on living ever

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/08/2018 17:08  

Sold my VFR 12 months ago, 12 hour shifts plus loads of overtime, never hardly got to ride it. Now i'm retired and 63, just treated myself to another VFR800 (2010). Love it, love it. In fact i'm off out shortly, probably first ride to Matlock this time round. My philosophy on life is do it while you can. My parents both had dementia, maybe that's what i'm destined for ? Hopefully not but you never know. If you enjoy riding a bike and the biking scene, then just do it !!!!! Look at the people you have yet to meet, I have met some wonderful people just through owning a bike. If you are physically and mentally capable, then it's a no brainer so far as i am concerned. Your a long time dead, don't arrive at the pearly gates saying '''I wish i had ........................... !!! AJ

Update Reply
VFR800AJ @ 09/11/2018 10:30  

I've no idea how long my personal ride will be...as i grow older and weaker(or my dodgy left arm plays up) i may have to go for lighter and easier to man/person/handle machines....but i hope the last sensation i can sense is them peeling my hands from the bars...:)>

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 09/11/2018 13:43  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email