MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

5 hours in the saddle

5 hours in the saddle - Forums [Biker Match] 5 hours in the saddle - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

5 hours in the saddle

Having never ridden for 5 hours before can anyone tell me if its do-able with a couple of breaks to fill up and grab a cuppa?
Travelling from Liverpool to Dover.

Thanks in advance :-)

Update Reply
loggolad @ 25/01/2018 10:13  

Yes

Update Reply
JP @ 25/01/2018 13:38  

Fat fingers lol yes you can do it just take rest stop as you need them

Update Reply
JP @ 25/01/2018 13:40  

Cheers JP :-)

Update Reply
loggolad @ 25/01/2018 13:43  

The BMW is designed for it...so really, it's whether you're up for some practice and use it for exploring your own limits, too :)

Like any extreme / adventure sport, a steady build up of skill and endurance is probably best.
Take a flask - then you can stop anytime / anywhere you want.

Update Reply
nickscafe @ 25/01/2018 14:03  

Thanks for your reply nickscafe.........Flask it is then...lol

Update Reply
loggolad @ 25/01/2018 14:57  

Piece of cake on a Beemer:) My little 56yr old type-1-diabetic buddy did it on an RD400 2-stroke, and then another 8hrs in France after the crossing. You'll be fine.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/01/2018 18:11  

I agree with the comments so far particularly about trying increasing distances before you go. You’ve got a great bike for the job but clothing is just as important so your trial runs should also be about settling on what’s most comfortable. Almost everything is tolerable for an hour in the saddle but a flapping strap, a testicle strangling seam, wind noise and minor draughts can get really fatiguing 3 hours in. So, break your kit in (underwear up) and resist the temptation to do something different on the day. Get it right and at the end of 5 hours the only thing you’ll want to do is another 5.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/01/2018 08:56  

It will be a doddle, don't worry about. Just go at your own pace and stop whenever you fancy.
Make sure your riding gear is comfortable, waterproof and warm enough. Take water and snacks in the topbox. Give yourself more time than you need. Don't run out of gas.
I love long solo rides. It always takes me much longer than google maps say because google doesn't take into account the chats with other bikers whenever I stop.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 29/01/2018 21:40  

I'm with JP on this one,yes...:)>

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 30/01/2018 14:55  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email