MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Loud Pipes or quiet silencers.

Loud Pipes or quiet silencers. - Forums [Biker Match] Loud Pipes or quiet silencers. - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Loud Pipes or quiet silencers.

Loud pipes saves lives as they say. As a car driver & a "defensive" rider I'd say they are an aid to letting other road users know of your presence in traffic. If your speeding & someone pulls out in front of you then no, loud or quiet your doomed. Thoughts ?? do you have loud pipes ??

Update Reply
Scarecrow @ 24/09/2016 12:26  

I'll go along with that. You'll still have the moron driver pulling out in front of you, but fewer in number.. Big bonus is the reduction in pedestrians thinking of stepping off the curb - especially children

Update Reply
Junction47 @ 24/09/2016 17:55  

Good post.
It was amazing how 'visible' I became when my poorly 125cc had a hole in its exhaust pipe. Sounded like a monster bike ha ha.I felt safer knowing other road users knew I was there.
Obviously went back to mouse mode once new exhaust was fitted.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 25/09/2016 04:33  

I run loud pipes on both my Harley and my Bonneville.... I feel safer and it sounds awesome but as a car driver I can't usually hear loud bikes if they are behind me at a distance, only when they are pretty near

Update Reply
TheSlasher @ 29/09/2016 18:36  

Quite happy with the standard pipes on all three of my Hinckley Triumphs...all are pleasantly 'throaty' without any mods..all three have twin round front headlamps,so nobody could even dare to say SMIDSY..Overall think loud pipes ARE potential lifesavers..

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 29/09/2016 19:13  

Loud pipes do have their merits with regard to drawing attention but only if car drivers are paying attention on what is approaching. I have had cars pull out on me at work and I drive a bright yellow artic! just how the hell they can say SMIDSY in that situation is beyond me. Similarly, I have witnessed the Ambulance service encounter problems getting through normal traffic because some idiot is driving with the stereo at full chat and a phone in their hand either reading or sending a txt. Now how can they fail to see or hear an emergency service vehicle with blues and twos going frankly is a case of not paying attention to what is going on around them.

Update Reply
Double six @ 29/09/2016 23:07  

Nail on the head 66. Could do with more patrol cars looking out for idiots rather than the more popular cash cow speed cameras.

Update Reply
Scarecrow @ 30/09/2016 05:15  

Good news this month that penalties for texting whilst driving are set to be increased to higher points tallies and heftier fines,hope CCTV technology is refined so they can be caught without need for thin blue line to waste time sitting at roundabouts ....

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 30/09/2016 09:14  

No warnings,just an envelope through the door,inviting you to have six points added to your licence,and pay for the pleasure too...seen too many playing on the M5/6 whilst bobbing their head up and down...suicidal behaviour..

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 30/09/2016 09:17  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email