MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

"Nod" frequency

"Nod" frequency - Forums [Biker Match] "Nod" frequency - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

"Nod" frequency

In my 5 months of biking, to work in London, and just out and about, I've noticed that the majority of people in London don't nod, or return a nod.

I tend to notice the nods at the weekend increase, especially as you move out to the suburbs, and definitely when you're out of London.

Is this something any other Londoners have noticed? And is it the same in other major cities?

Update Reply
mr christian @ 02/06/2016 18:48  

Somewhere like London it's unlikely riders will nod. Problem is there are so many bikes about if you nod every one your heads going to fall off.

Was a bike courier there for most of my life and I'm not sure I ever nodded any one.. You defiantly won't get a return to your nod from a courier, it's not that they are being rude it's that they are there to do a job and not for fun. That edge wears off after the first 10 hours in the saddle.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/06/2016 20:12  

Just like Stuie said.
You will end up like the Churchill dog if you nodded to every rider in London.

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 02/06/2016 20:41  

Yup, pretty much accepted before I even got on a bike that couriers wouldn't nod. Why would they, they're doing a job on the bike. Have noticed at the weekend though, everybody nods!

But I should have clarified, I meant general manners on the way to work, I don't have to move over to let you through when you're filtering on to my side of the road, so some kind of thanks/acknowledgment would be nice, and it's rarely forthcoming.

Update Reply
mr christian @ 02/06/2016 23:03  

That's more than likely the average commuter, they got a bike or scooter because it's cheaper than public transport, some do their test so they don't have to keep doing CBT's and they are just like the ignorant people that try to get on the tube before you have got off.
That type of rider have no love for riding and I sure you have had it already, the twat on a scooter, who cuts in front of you at the lights, then holds you up with a slow pull away so you get back in front and at the next set of lights they cut back in front of you. And that's all down to the fact that they don't think with a brain and if they could get an App on their phone to ride their bike for them they would.

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 02/06/2016 23:36  

That's the type. Yesterday when that happened, pulled up next to the guy at the lights and told him to be more careful as he'd cut me up on the inside when pulling away. Just shrugged his shoulders, and said "so". Wanted to get off and lamp the midget!

Update Reply
mr christian @ 03/06/2016 12:48  

And this morning some tool decided to overtake me approaching a zebra. Bearing in mind im already doing 33, and he's in a 125. Muppet had to do an emergency when someone stepped into the crossing just as he passed me, meaning I had to swerve like a nutter.

Some proper d!cos on the road.

Update Reply
mr christian @ 03/06/2016 12:50  

welcome to the wonderful world of commuting Mr C....its an absolute delight. I must admit that I tend to use more swear words than I should. You see all sorts, mobiles sometimes being the lesser evil.
I have told someone recently "your car isn't as wide as you think, and I'm guessing your *** isn't either". However, getting pissed off at them isn't the smartest thing to do though.
As for nodding, I nod to the bikes/mopeds I see. I can now count a Harley Davidson rider in my usual crowd too and that took me many months (I guess he just gave in after realizing I wasn't going to stop :-) ).
I nod even though I don't expect one back. However that said, there isn't the numbers in Manchester City Centre like there is in London.

Update Reply
rowanblossom @ 03/06/2016 13:46  

Shocked!!!

Little sweet Jo, Lord Mayoring it fellow road users

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 03/06/2016 16:16  

....for **** **** **** ****

pmsl....sweet!!!!! Rags my darlin' you've met me, where the hell did you get that impression?

Update Reply
rowanblossom @ 03/06/2016 19:45  

Such language form one such as Jo....no hang on, it's to be expected lol

There is always the kill switch trick Mr C.

I remember one hung over commute into London with some of the other guys on our way to log on on to the curcit. (All three of us were couriers for the same co). We had had a good night out on the Sunday and all had horrendous hang overs. Going up kensignton gore a lad on an aprilia rs125 with micron pipes kept buzzing us at every set of lights. Eventually he squeezed between my left and and my mate to my left. Grinning from ear to ear revving the crap out of his bike. Lights went green down came my left hand on to his kill switch just as he started to let out his clutch. He stopped grinning.

Moral..don't piss off the couriers especially when there hung over. PS don't try it on your own unless your ready for an argument.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/06/2016 19:52  

Lmao off stuie! Wish I'd seen that!

Update Reply
mr christian @ 04/06/2016 10:08  

Was funny. Went straight over as he was expecting to pull away. I dumped mine in gear and draged it off the line like a nutta and we all zipped up towards Hyde Park Corner.

Very naughty tho shouldn't have really. But back then we used to do naughty things.

We used to do it to each other for a laugh but never did it to anyone else that wasn't a mate and we were prating about.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/06/2016 10:39  

nodings good exersize for the neck

Update Reply
havfun @ 19/06/2016 21:58  

Nods/waves are generally totally ignored most frequently by people(?) on BMW'S...why this should be ,i've never figured out...2nd worst offenders are usually multiples of Harleys...one on their own always nod/wave....apehangers could be the answer to this,of course..how to de-stabilise steering AND look a knob when it rains...i always nod to everyone,even scooters and especially 'L' platers,we all started out there,and nothing makes them smile more for days...

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 21/08/2016 14:38  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email