MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Active participation

Active participation  - Forums [Biker Match] Active participation  - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Active participation

Checking out the 'Events Calendar' . It seems to have turned into a list of events organised outside of BM.
Without BM Member organised events I seriously think the site will go down hill.
There are any amount of Bike Rally listing sites and plenty of Biker dating sites. There are also several FB sites for biker camping weekends/rides out and pub evenings.
Have all the active activity people already left BM for pastures new?
Are we only left with armchair Bikers?
Are we only left with people that prefer the bar for the weekend.
What do you think?

Update Reply
dustin666 @ 14/05/2016 01:37  

I Think your right Dustin I for 1 have lost it with the site its changed so much over the last couple of years. I have made some great friends on here and more than happy to spend time in a field with them over a weekend or longer.
After last year and the of the lies that were told about me and what I have superposed to have said to another member I said I would finish off the events that I had running and I was done.
I along with Jackie and Ken have spent weeks sorting events and other stuff for BM and on a whole we have had a great turn out by members over the years.
Its a shame it has come to this but when you lose it its gone simply as that.
I think you for 1 will know what I mean due to us being in the same industry sometimes you just walk away as its not worth it. Hope to bump into you in a field at some point Dustin

Update Reply
JP @ 14/05/2016 05:46  

I'm torn between two extremes - list solely events that a BM member puts up because either it's a thing they're arranging, or an already arranged thing that they are attending and would like to have other BM members attend with them.... OR.... list absolutely every bike related event out there so that it raises awareness of the possibilities and encourages BM members to get along to them....

As far as I can see looking back through past years we've gradually moved from the first scenario to the 2nd.

I have mixed feelings about that personally, but if it's only BM activities by and for BM folk, it relies on lots of people all over the UK being willing to organise stuff, and realistically there's limited mileage in that over a medium to long term period - people get fed up of always being the ones doing the organising... and then folk moan that there's not enough going on... well, some do - I see this a lot in other aspects of life - loads of people saying something SHOULD be done, but never willing to step up a DO what they think should be done.....

As an aside to that, as an events admin myself, I reject quite a few submitted events - random people temporarily register, submit some events (non bike related) then delete/disable their profile - they go in the bin and I keep the events restricted to bike related stuff.

If there are too many events for your liking, Matt has improved the search function dramatically, so it's easier to now see them filtered for being more local to you, see only events your friends are attending, only weekend vents, and you can also filter on what type of event - which I'd hope would make the whole searching thing a bit easier??

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/05/2016 17:30  

Just a brief look at the forums and you will see that the same people are the ones who actively post. For a site that boasts 73,000+ members, you would think the forums would be on fire with activity.

The same goes for solely BM events. With events like K.I.S.S., Pick up a Pilly day and Barmouth weekend, it seems to me that having an events calendar would be a pointless exercise unless the organising staff were full time and could put on more events. That would mean those staff members having to be paid. Add to that, there are already numerous rallies that have been around for many years and are extremely well supported from all over the country.

That then brings up the problem of event clashes. How many BM members would be willing to give up their annual pilgrimage to the Rock and Bike or the Yorkshire Pudding Rally, or any number of well established weekends to attend a relative newcomer to the bike event scene. The answer to that is, not many.

Dustin666 has been a member longer than I have but I believe I have attended more events than he has in recent years. He has also been vocal about the situation of the KISS rally and the great distance he would have to travel in order to attend if it were again held in the Midlands, and a look at his event activity will reveal that his physical support of BM is none existant, so why is he worried about how many external events are on the calendar? As he points out, there are any number of other sites to interact with people, but if members wish to pay their subs to BM then why not give them a full and comprehensive event calendar in order to organise their biking year?

Update Reply
Double six @ 15/05/2016 19:17  

Sometimes its the attitude that stops people from setting stuff up.
I have been quite happy to organise rides out, usually to Wales, the last couple of years, but this year I've decided I probably won't, as I have gotten sick of the complaining afterwards of "how it wasn't done the way I'd do it". I've even had demands about sending pms to attendees to ensure their attendance as if "he/she" is going "I'm not" (FFS Grow a damn pair and sort it out).
Well here you go people, knock yourselves out. If you don't like the way something is organised, get of your backsides and organise an event yourself instead of bitching about not having any BM events to go to.
I would point that in my opinion (others are available) that the Events Page is for events. The name is in the title!

Update Reply
rowanblossom @ 16/05/2016 14:02  

This may be a newbie question, but is there a way to know if an event has been organized by a BM member please?

I knew the Pick Up A Pilly one on Sunday was, but only because of the discussion on the forums.

I agree that the "I'm not going if so-and-so is going" seems a bit childish and to expect someone else to administer their going or not going status seems like a step too far.

Update Reply
Morseman @ 16/05/2016 15:03  

A general rule of thumb is that if an event is being organised by a BM member, it will appear in the forums before it hits the events page. Mostly to guage how much interest there will be.

Update Reply
Double six @ 16/05/2016 15:10  

Thanks for the advice Double Six. I'll keep an eye on the discussions from now on.

Update Reply
Morseman @ 16/05/2016 15:12  

Might be a good question for Matt? An option on an event to tick if it's a BM organised event, then the Events search can have an option to only show BM organised events?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/05/2016 15:12  

As somebody who has organised quite a few events over the years, i can honestly say that i have gained great pleasure in watching folks enjoy themselves at whatever mayhem we have arranged.

The flip side being that you also get folk happy to critise what you have done, from their version of what they would do to why is everything always in the Midlands !!!! My answer has always been the same ......... DIY then.

Recently there also seems the lack of folk willing to commit to anything. Last years Xmas party was cancelled due to only 20 odd people having their name down. I stated quite clearly in threads what my intention was, limey after i cancelled it officially i was inudated with folks complaining that they were looking forwrad to going and what a pity it was cancelled. When asked why they had not added themselves to the event they replied, i dont bother !!! What mug has to foot the bill for the DJ etc if you dont bother turning up then !!!

Hence the decision this year to organise a bare minimum and guess what, have had folks moan about that too !!!!!!

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 16/05/2016 15:57  

BJ,that comes down to, "You can please some of the people, some of the time. But you can't please all the people, all the time."

Update Reply
Double six @ 16/05/2016 16:21  

I have to say I have enjoyed the events attended with BM. I have travelled far and wide for some and it was no problem.

If you only want to attend an event close to you and there is little going on to satisfy that then as stated above sort one out your selves.

This site is great if you participate. And if you attend some one else's hard fought and worked out event have the comman decency to appreciate the effort that's been put in even if it's not the way you would have done it.

Personaly I have arranged ride outs and been sat on the side of the road like a lemon waiting for people that said they would show and didn't. Give it a go folks it's a bitch. If you say your going to show please do. Some times people are out of pocket due to non attendance.

As for BJ, JP, Rowenblossom Bikerbill and the like hats of to you your events have been crackers for various different reasons.

I am hoping to be a little more active this year as things are a little more settled this year so hoping to see you all again soon..

Luv ya Stuie xxxx

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/05/2016 21:22  

Well , I 've enjoyed the two Welsh ride out's that Jo organized, even if the second one was tad wet lol, was hoping to attend more further afield this year , the first being the Matlock meet but alas bike problems meant I had to sit it out , others have just clashed
with other plans .
Have to admit
I gave up helping organize stuff when I left MAG in the late 90's, it can be very frustrating, so a huge shout out to those that do still persevere to put things on, whingers are gonna whinge,, you come across it in all walks of life

Update Reply
ExupRichR1 @ 16/05/2016 23:50  

Wet that wasn't wet. It was coming down as described in the bible. Didn't stop us tho thanks Jo.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/05/2016 00:07  

Normally I organise several events each year and check out various campsites for new venues.
This year I've done nowt.
Last December found my bike and house under 5 foot of flood water. Still in various temporary accommodation.
Still nowhere to keep a bike.
Busy with the loss adjusters, builders etc.
I think the calendar should be BM only.
Don't clutter it up with none BM items.

Update Reply
dustin666 @ 17/05/2016 20:43  

i look at the calender to see when the rallys bike shows and clud meet
it one of the best on the net dont change it
it always been like that well since i came on here
if you see one you what to go to you can see if bmers are going or not
whats the problem with that

Update Reply
kaycat @ 17/05/2016 21:01  

Sorry to hear of your troubles Dustin, but why all of a sudden does it matter if the calendar is solely for BM events or not? It doesn't bother anyone else as far as I know, and as has been hinted at in a previous comment, the site is not exactly performing as well at the moment as it has in recent years. What would be the point of having an entire calendar populated by a handful of events? At least if other events are advertised, as they are now, members can see what is happening at a time that is convenient for them and if other members will be going too.
You organise events in the borders region and in Scotland as well, you don't inform people that it is solely for the BM members, I can only assume that anyone who is not a member, and hears about it from another source, you will welcome them with open arms. The reason I say that is this, you want the event calendar to be populated with only BM events, then surely only BM members would be allowed to attend. It rather defeats the purpose of paying a membership fee if BM events are being held open for non fee paying bikers to attend as well.

Update Reply
Double six @ 17/05/2016 21:27  

Many bm members arrange to meet each other at non bm events.

If the calander was for bm arranged events only this would not happen and this comunity would suffer as a result. In fact most if the members i have met have been at non bm events.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/05/2016 22:09  

Hi.... I only use this site for the calendar.. To see what's on and plan for things to do..!

I don't see it as a site to meet the love of my life.... Having sent messages to people with no reply..... Manners... Or lack of them spring to mind....!

I don't need to pay my subs to view the events calendar but I do....
As you're supplying a service....
I've run my own business for a good few years.... And know what it takes to supply a good service.... And in this day and age you need to appeal to everyone ....!

The problem with this site is if you read through all the dribble.... It's clickyer than a bad fitting hip replacement.....!

Update Reply
Eddieskidmark @ 17/05/2016 23:56  

The idea of the Events calendar is for BMers to organise rides out or camping weekends etc in their own area or an area they know well. That gives the rest ofBM a choice of venue and distance they want to do.
A nice empty calendar at the start of the year is ideal.
However. Most of the active members have either
Left or just don't bother anymore.
Bike rallies are good value for money . A couple of bands, burger van , drink all weekend and camping for a tenner. Plus the money ya save on petrol coz the bike's parked up all wknd. I can't compete with that .
£50 ayear for a list of bike rallies , that's expensive.

Update Reply
dustin666 @ 18/05/2016 01:05  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email