MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Has biking changed your life ?

Has biking changed your life ? - Forums [Biker Match] Has biking changed your life ? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Has biking changed your life ?

Has biking changed your life. ? did you not have much in your life before getting a motorbike. Did you just fancy getting one, has it bought out your sense of adventure? fancied a go and got hooked ? For me, I fancied a go at 48 years old. Middle life crisis ? maybe. But I love it. Met loads of great people, made new friends and acquaintances. Would you recommend biking or at least the lifestyle to others ? Do you get a lot of doom-mongers having a go because you ride ?
have you just joined this site to find a partner, find friends, new biker ??? I don't want to get to the pearly gates saying...I wish I had........ !!! So come on then, what has it done for you ?

Update Reply
VFR800AJ @ 21/04/2016 18:39  

I was into bikes from a very early age. The fact that my parents refused to let me have a trials machine only made me want a bike even more. A mate of mine offered to sell me his moped 3 months before my 16th birthday and that was the start. I dont get out on the bike much now due to work and the fact that shift patterns often see me working when everyone I know is riding to or from bike friendly cafes or rallies. I suppose I will always have a bike in my life, unless health prevents me from riding any longer.

Update Reply
Double six @ 21/04/2016 19:02  

I think this is more of a question of when you got into bikes.
I was lucky two older brothers having bikes so I had grown up with them from 10 years old and some people are luckier than myself and their dad's had bikes and was riding from a very young age.
So I can't say bikes changed my life, but since 18 years of age I've earned my money around bikes.
So bikes have played a big part in my life, but not changed my life.

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 21/04/2016 19:21  

My dad had bikes when i was growing up and i loved them. My friends were bike mad too , so learnt to ride by having a go round carparks. I got my 1st bike at 17 and the rest is history.

Update Reply
shelleygirl @ 21/04/2016 19:41  

Riding since 1970 when i was 16. Bought a Honda c50 of my then sisters boyfriend just as a stop gap till i was 17 and could get a car hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/04/2016 22:42  

Always had them from age 12 , hiding an old battered ty80 in a friends shed to the arguments with my parents when I got a 50 at 16 , don't know life without bikes , tried to give it up after an accident but more for feeling bad what my family went through rather than myself, that was a conversation I dreaded telling them I was getting another bike but bless 'em they were pretty cool about it, that eight months was the longest I've been off the road

Update Reply
ExupRichR1 @ 21/04/2016 22:54  

I first rode a bike (Norton 200 single) at the tender age if eleven. 50 years ago. Yes, it definitely changed my life. Definitely changed the shape of several bones. Definitely left a "hanged man's" rope mark on my neck . It's actually stained with ingrained road dirt . Rubbed in deep from mi chin strap. Honestly, it ain't a rope mark lol.
Bikey bikey, me likey likey
lol.

Update Reply
dustin666 @ 06/05/2016 01:32  

Main reason I didn't learn at 17 was my brother's near fatal crash at the hands of a drunk school bus driver.

After going through redundancy a few times, I just didn't want to regret not trying. That was 2012 and I love it (ok dislike filtering but par the course).

It's freedom. It's escape. it's being on a bike.

Update Reply
rowanblossom @ 16/05/2016 23:16  

Yes, definitely has. Having grown up in London, I've never bothered with a car, always considered them more hassle than they're worth in town, paying for somerthing you can't use for work, and have to pay just to park it, unused.

Now in my 40's, I'm suddenly bombing off anywhere and everywhere, catching up with friends more often, seeing family more often, and generally enjoying the outdoors (I say bombing, but currently on a 125, but still faster than the tube!!)

Update Reply
mr christian @ 28/05/2016 19:40  

yes... caveat - this is while on bottle of wine no 2 for the evening...

I got my bike licence in my mid 20's with the full consent of the then-wife. However I lost my taste for it after a friend was killed on his bike - was only a matter of time really as he was a nutter - but attending his funeral and seeing his wife and young kids... well, that was enough. Sold my bike. Instantly regretted it.

Fast forward to my 40's. Marriage is on the rocks, not that we were admitting it. Got a decent bonus from work for once - I'm getting a bike! "no you're not - it's a bike or me" says she - bwa ha ha!

I bought the bike

A year or so we split. Then got divorced. Expensive? Yep Worth it? Hell YES!

Met my most wonderful lady through this very site

Went to BikeSafe, then did my IAM, then became an Observer, and now help folk towards doing their IAM test.

Still ride pretty much every day and absolutely love it!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 28/05/2016 22:36  

Changed it ?...hmmm... All my family and immediate relatives had bikes,we rode around as a family for years on a Triumph 110 with a double adult sidecar...the trailer got hitched on for annual trip 'down South' for a week or two camping around the south coast.A family car was MUCH later..and never had the same affection given it..
All my uncles were 'Rockers' or 'Ton-Up Boys',ditto older cousins...my 14th birthday present was two teachests full of old bike parts..."You want a bike that bad.?.build one" Taught me a lot about what will fit what...
Changed it...? Nope..same as it ever was,just cleaner,faster and more reliable(mostly).

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 25/08/2016 20:20  

i wouldnt say bike have changed my life, more like, they are my life.

always had two wheels and as soon as it was legal i bought one with an engine i it.

most of my life i have earnt a living from riding bikes and have never owned a car unless it was essential for tue work i was doing at tue time.

the only time i have not had a bike is just after my first heart op when i took few years out in a 4x4.

even nasty get offs havnt stoped me riding and im now happy again as the only form of transport i own again is my bikes.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/08/2016 20:37  

Yes paid simon cooper 50p and a l&b kingsize . To have a go on his 50cc fizzer . Was 12 that started a life long love

Update Reply
cookie929 @ 06/10/2016 17:16  

Started with bikes on some waste ground at the back of the house as a kid & never looked back. Had a few periods without a bike, maybe the same as many others, family life & finance being the major culprit !! I've met some really good people through bikes & hope to meet many more. I can't imagine life without a bike. Some days I'm a motor cyclist tootling along in regular gear, some days I'm a biker in my cut off but every day out on the bike I'm a recycled rebel teenager, bikes give me a sense of fun when out on the tarmac.

Update Reply
Scarecrow @ 07/10/2016 00:33  

Since i was little i have been into bikes . My G father and brothers rode them . One of my brothers was in a bike club , i used to go everywhere with him . Then i took my test and love the lifestyle . I am no fair weather lady either . I am even building my own bike this winter . I couldn't imagine my life being anything else .

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/10/2016 07:10  

Silver mist has oil under her finger nails, builds her own bike & possibly uses WD40 for deoderant, wow 100% biker chick xx

Update Reply
Scarecrow @ 08/10/2016 14:07  

Yes i like getting my hands dirty and i can hold a decent conversation with a bloke about bikes to . Im not a girlie girl , but i still like to look good . And i wear musk , WD40 didn't do it for me x

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/10/2016 14:20  

Is everyone starting to think this is a hint you want a tub of swarfega for xmas ?? Either that or a barrel of musk.

Update Reply
Scarecrow @ 08/10/2016 15:21  

Can't really say if riding has changed my life as I have been riding for decades but I must admit BM has changed my riding habbits as I am no longer the lone Rider lol

Update Reply
TheSlasher @ 18/10/2016 20:02  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email