MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Opinions from the Lady Bikers out there

Opinions from the Lady Bikers out there - Forums [Biker Match] Opinions from the Lady Bikers out there - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Opinions from the Lady Bikers out there

I am going to do my full bike test in the not too distant future, and just want some feed back about your bike and recommendations. And your experiences when you first got your bike. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Update Reply
Ravenrocker @ 23/10/2015 18:43  

Everyone is different, you need to find what's right for YOU.

I've only had one 'big' bike and that's a CBF600. It suits me, I like the upright riding position, the fairing and as I'm reasonably tall I can get both feet down on it so the height isn't a problem.
Since I started sitting on other bikes I realised that it's actually pretty heavy and I like the BMW F 800 GT - but I'm glad I've done a few years on a 600 cc bike before considering stepping up. Again, that's me.
Get out to dealers, check out what's there, sit on a few, take test rides to help you find your own ride.

Experiences when I first got my bike? - my jaw ached from the fixed grin! You'll love it. If you're riding for pleasure and not using it for daily commuting, find people or places to ride out to. Keep up the experience - you'll never stop learning and developing.

Good luck with your test.

Update Reply
izzyhill @ 24/10/2015 00:54  

BRILLIANT.
The world needs more women bikers.
I don't consider bikes to be gender specific.
As a newbie, try and resist the temptation of a big Jap rocket and get a sensible 600.
It takes a while to learn how to throw your bike around. Too much power gets in the way. Especially on B roads.
Make sure that you can get a tent on it. Real bikers camp.
good luck x

Update Reply
dustin666 @ 24/10/2015 04:17  

Yep, great to see another lady biker

Agree that bikes aren't gender specific - you go with what you love! Try as many as you can before you decide, and be aware that you may 'grow out' of your first big bike fairly quickly - or maybe not!

Around the 600cc mark is a great starting point, from the perspective of size, weight, handling, insurance, fuel economy - they make great bikes.

A lot will depend on what style you like, what riding you want to do, and of course what you feel comfortable on, and what your finances allow.

Be prepared to spend proper money on your kit - good quality waterproof and warm kit isn't cheap but oh, so worth it when the weather catches you out

Best of luck

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/10/2015 08:14  

I agree with everything everyone has said above especially getting as good kit as you can , trying different bikes to see what suits you personally best and take an experienced biker with you when looking at bikes and ask questions - lots of questions .

Good luck with your test . At the moment all that work training probably seems endless but it will be so worth it . I still have that grin as Izzy says, every time I go out . You can do it !

Update Reply
Jackyan @ 24/10/2015 09:27  

As above and I would say don't buy new for your first bike, but don't buy a cheap, unreliable wreck either.
Budget 2 - 3k from a reliable dealer and you'll be sorted.
Avoid private sales unless you really know what your looking at.
It's a good time to learn over winter, it will make you a better, if colder, rider.
And you'll be passed and ready for next spring.
You will absolutely love it :-)

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 24/10/2015 10:24  

Ahh thanks guys. I am already got good gear and Base layers commuting and pleasure riding on my Yamaha custom. But am ready for the real deal. I value all of your advice thank you.

Update Reply
Ravenrocker @ 24/10/2015 15:35  

you need to try lots out site on them hold them up
wrists back knees
had lots of bikes but i like my Suzukis best
but like it been said you will find you happy bike x

Update Reply
kaycat @ 24/10/2015 17:47  

just how much did you have to drink before you posted that??

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/10/2015 15:58  

It was about 45 years ago and I still remember how great it was. We all look forwards to meeting you on some events soon.

Update Reply
bugsbunny @ 28/10/2015 22:01  

Thank you. I look forward to attending and meeting all you lovely people

Update Reply
Ravenrocker @ 30/10/2015 23:14  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email