MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Writing a CV?

Writing a CV? - Forums [Biker Match] Writing a CV? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Writing a CV?

I need to write a CV and I've never done one before, I don't know where to start or what to put in it, with all the things I've read I'm going doolally with this.Can anyone out there please help me?

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 09/10/2014 19:00  

www.totaljobs.com/careers-advice/cvs-and-applications/which-cv

Rags - have a look at this website. It gives template for all different kind of CV's whether you're changing jobs, looking for a new career, or just starting out from college.

Click on the link that is most appropriate for you and have a look. Any probs or questions just give me a shout.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/10/2014 19:40  

No more than two A4 sides of paper, I believe. This may mean that you'll have to miss out your earlier career, which is a pain - especially if it's relevent to what you're applying for. Hopefully, you may receive an application form later on so you can fill in the gaps. Or you can do that if granted an interview. HTH

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/10/2014 20:05  

Rag I have to review CVs so am happy to take a look once you have a draft if you want :)

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 09/10/2014 20:47  

I can't offer any more helpful advice than youve been given already mdear Ragnar, so good luck in your endeavors

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/10/2014 20:52  

Spell your name right

Update Reply
JP @ 09/10/2014 20:57  

That's me buggered to start with. Getting my name right.

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 10/10/2014 07:31  

You and me both

Update Reply
JP @ 10/10/2014 07:36  

But not a lot of people would expect you to get my name right.

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 10/10/2014 07:43  

Rem you dont have to put your age on CVs any more and more than 2 sides of A4 is frowned upon. Ensure that you state any skills you have which are relevant to the job, include any membership to organisations you are in, irrelevant as to what they are, shows you are a team player :) There are loads of good CV websites to get templates from and even jobsites like Monster have a CV wizard, so take a look and modify one that suits you.

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 10/10/2014 07:48  

Yes, by all means put an excellent CV together.

But if you want the job, find out where a senior manager drinks, strike up a conversation, and casually mention you are looking for a job. Offer to buy him a drink, and agree with everything he says.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/10/2014 15:30  

That I could deal with easy.

Someone that I did work with applied for a similar job with the same people a couple of months back and she told me they didn't ask for a cv.

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 10/10/2014 17:44  

Assume that all HR personnel are lazy and have to sift through loads of applications. Yours must show relevant experience/qualifications that stand out. Make it easy to read (use bullet points that are pertinent to the person spec) and double check spelling/grammar.
Use an easily readable font and do not use green/pink text.
Try and blow sunshine up your own arse by using phrases like- "I successfully managed", "I increased efficiency by" or "I reduced costs by introducing new systems of work" but be prepared to answer questions at interview about how you did these things.
Good luck dude, just remember you are the best man for the job!!!

Update Reply
SlowGoose @ 10/10/2014 23:23  

I have loads of stuff on CV's and an excellent template with all the right buzz words phrases etc I,m an employment advisor in my day job with loads of resources so just ask if you need anything

Update Reply
beezerbird @ 14/10/2014 11:59  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email