MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle Events & Rides Out

Ride out to Cumbria/Lakes

Ride out to Cumbria/Lakes - Forums [Biker Match] Ride out to Cumbria/Lakes - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle Events & Rides Out /

Ride out to Cumbria/Lakes

Just floating the idea, no dates set and open to suggestions.

Suggested meeting point:

Tickled Trout Services
Preston New Road
Samlesbury
Preston
Lancashire
PR5 0UJ

Accessible from A59 and M6.

North on the A6

over to Kirby Lonsdale - Devilsbridge (Burger van on site)

Choice of cafes depending on chosen route:

Filling Station Cafe, Crosthwaite Rd, Keswick, Cumbria, CA12 5PR.

Open daily with a bike night on Saturdays. Recommended by Dave Evans; "It's a small retro bike-themed diner with a 1960 classic motorcycle in the window. The food is excellent and they sell great proper coffee. There's ample parking and the cafe is only a few yards from the A66 at Keswick. The staff are very friendly and the food is of a high quality with good portion sizes. Highly recommended."

Hartside Top Cafe, Alston, Cumbria, CA9 3BW

Open daily March to October 09:00 - 17:00, November 10:00 - 16:00 and December until February according to weather. Fantastic views and great food in a cafe that stands in splendid isolation five miles from anywhere. Used as a staging post for rideouts by numerous biking groups and attracting up to 2,000 bikers at weekends in summer.

Looking for suggestions of decent roads and other attractions to make a day of it.

I72 (aka Rubberduckie)

Update Reply
Imola72 @ 23/01/2014 08:38  

the only thing to seriously recommend Hartside (for us non coffee drinkers) is the road up to it or better still ....down You do know the A6 north from Preston isnt great can be a bit slow and lots of villages...might take longer than you expect.

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 23/01/2014 09:03  

Yes, the A6 isn't great, it's worse before Preston with lots of speed cameras. The only real alternative would be the M6, but for those that can't use or don't like motorways (myself included) it's no alternative, unless you could recommend an alternative route?

I've never been to Hartside but it's early days, just floating the idea, open to suggestions.

I72

Update Reply
Imola72 @ 23/01/2014 09:32  

I would be but as always dependent on weather....especially after getting wet through this morning!!!

Update Reply
rowanblossom @ 23/01/2014 09:32  

Hi Folks, this is my side of the country and can confirm that the A6 North of Preston is a great run and a clear road, wide enough for passing slow motorists up to the South of Lancaster, just outside of Galgate. Are you wanting to take in all of the stops or are they just suggestions? Can come up with several routes through the Trough of Bowland missing out Lancaster and ending up at Devil's Bridge and then onto Hartside Top Cafe. My mate, also a member on here, TonzCBR, knows quite a few routes too and is more than willing to help out with your routes (he's a Devil's Bridge Boy!).

Update Reply
ShadowLady @ 23/01/2014 19:12  

Hi Shadowlady, I've not traveled the A6 north of Preston for some time but remember it being very good as you say. Open to suggestions, gotta go to Devilsbridge it'd be rude not to Trough of Bowland would be good, not been there since I was young, any alternative routes would be great and much appreciated. Cumbria is just a blur from the M6 these days as I pass through on the way to my mates near Wigtown in Scotland close to the Solway

I72

Update Reply
Imola72 @ 23/01/2014 19:41  

North Lakes and Hart side is good. I know the area well, but it,s a big area so it might be worth doing a weekend.
My Dent weekend might pick up some of this area if you fancy using it as a reccy trip.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 23/01/2014 19:53  

I know the Trough quite well, pm me if you want some ideas m8. Thinking Tickled trout to Clitheroe on A59 then up through Waddinton to dunsop bridge then caton and up to kirkby lonsdale

Update Reply
SlowGoose @ 23/01/2014 19:53  

I would bring a Northern run down south to you Southern Northerners and meet in Hartside if the dates are ok

Update Reply
madscots @ 23/01/2014 20:55  

Plenty to think about here, thanks for your imput everyone, I'll see what I can organise and guage the interest

I72

Update Reply
Imola72 @ 23/01/2014 21:13  

Mass Hart side meet up perhaps

I72

Update Reply
Imola72 @ 23/01/2014 21:22  

would have suggested the trough of bowland but only if its dry up to Gisburn then up to Long preston and onto the A65 but ud be adding some serious mileage on going this way. Alternative is A59 to Clitheroe as someone else has already said - its a fast road some of it is dualled.

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 23/01/2014 21:36  

If you want to skip the A6 north of Preston, it's only 20-odd minutes from the Tickled Trout up the M6 to the turn-off for Devils Bridge. Boring, but do-able.

Update Reply
Wills @ 23/01/2014 21:48  

Ok, I'm thinking A59 Clitheroe - Gisburn

A682 Long Preston

A65 Kirby Lonsdale

Then up to Hartside maybe?

Could even stop off at Ingleton Falls

Did I just invade Yorkshire back there?

I72

Update Reply
Imola72 @ 23/01/2014 21:58  

From devils bridge the rd up to hawes is pretty good ...obviously that's not gonna get u to Hartside though :o

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 24/01/2014 06:56  

Just thinking we need a Café at some point unless everyone settles for the burger van at Devilsbridge

A decent route over the Trough would be nice instead of skirting round the outside on the A65, might even cut down the mileage.

I72

Update Reply
Imola72 @ 24/01/2014 09:43  

the A59 A65 would be considerably quicker than the Trough just by virtue of the nature of the roads However if your using the Trough rd there is a nice little cafe in Slaidburn there is also a cut thru from Slaidburn to Bentham (nr Ingleton) although its not a great road a fair few sheep did go over it last summer on my 9R so its doable on any bike.

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 24/01/2014 11:32  

Thanks kwakgirl, plenty of options then.

I72

Update Reply
Imola72 @ 24/01/2014 11:47  

cafe, definately cafe ....some us can't (or wont) pee in the bushes lol

Update Reply
rowanblossom @ 24/01/2014 13:00  

you've never lived.

Update Reply
Imola72 @ 24/01/2014 14:14  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email