MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

New tyre wearing in a strange way !!

New tyre wearing in a strange way !! - Forums [Biker Match] New tyre wearing in a strange way !! - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

New tyre wearing in a strange way !!

This is a Brand new Metzeler tyre ..Its done 430 Miles and wearing in a strange way both sides !! I have been given many versions of what it could be ....Any Ideas guys ?? Oh its not rubbing or catching anywhere and no play at all in the rear end ....

Update Reply
Intruder18 @ 20/08/2013 21:53  

Hi ya..... just a wild thought with absolutely no knowledge of anything.... is it dual compound tire and bike only ridden on nice warm, dry days?
( or could be the same sods that put patterns in crop fields at night messing with your head? ) :))

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/08/2013 23:45  

Well thats a first .... A post that actually makes sense and twice in one paragraph ........ in the words of the postie...1, just a wild thought with absolutely no knowledge of anything.2, dual compound tire the rest of it is complete shite .

Update Reply
Intruder18 @ 21/08/2013 18:44  

:)
Did you find reason why yet?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/08/2013 19:06  

I'd be sending that photo to Metzeler pal Lets face it, if it's nowt serious then carry on as normal But if it's something they've not seen before, it could be important I'm obviously no "tyre technician" but I've not seen that effect before On ANY tyre over the last 50 odd years It does look as if there may be more than one compound or maybe what we see is the "edge" of a layer Either way I'm sure "peace of mind" is what you want So send a few pics to the technical bods at Metzeler and see what they say Keep us posted with your "investigations" bro

Update Reply
Emzed @ 22/08/2013 19:19  

Seriously Echo Emzed there Malc. (Except the 50 years bit - only 40 for me. lol).

Update Reply
non-hotmale @ 22/08/2013 19:40  

Weird. Very weird. I've never seen zig-zag chicken strips before, albeit small ones.

The nearest thing I can think of is that the tyre is "cupping" although I thought was something restricted to 4 wheelers with shot suspension.

I'd suggest taking Emzeds advice and asking Metzeler what's going on before pushing the tyre any further in case there is some kind of de-lamination going on.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 22/08/2013 19:51  

That was my SPECIFIC concern Steve (de-lamination) Although I've no wish to alarm anyone who might have similar tyre issues A "professional" opinion is always a good starting point

Update Reply
Emzed @ 22/08/2013 20:04  

Pictures sent ..many emails later ..Metzeler have said if im sure its a tyre fault they want the tyre sent back to Germany for an Expert to have a look. Then said it could take weeks so I either buy another tyre or be bike less until a decision is made on this one ..... Pondering !!

Update Reply
Intruder18 @ 22/08/2013 22:08  

Well it sure don't "look" right pal I would have thought they would be a bit more forthcoming on the replacement though Good customer relations etc. Considering the price you paid Best of luck with whatever you decide

Update Reply
Emzed @ 22/08/2013 22:31  

If they havnt told you what it is then maybe they dont know/wont commit/aint gonna tell you,it might not be fit for use as intended,(sale of goods act 19 whatever?) think I'd be telling them the safety implications could be vast and how many could be on the road now on bikes.Push it as far as it will go,ask the cab to make sure you cover your back.

Update Reply
fxr swas @ 23/08/2013 15:01  

I thought the same Emz ... typical tyre people . Im not keen of letting it out of my sight if you know what I mean unless they were to give me a replacement obviously .... All that spiel has gone in the emails fxr ...no response to it at all .. I still have the OEM wheel I was thinking of just putting a standard tyre on that then if i have to send the other off i wont be bike less for weeks ... Not sure I want to buy another 280 in case the same thing happens again .... decisions decisions ehh

Update Reply
Intruder18 @ 25/08/2013 10:26  

I've seen the same problem posted on facebook. You arent alone.

Update Reply
GS1085 @ 27/08/2013 15:26  

If your in the AA /RAC have a word with them they may be in a better postion to carry a bit more weight in there e-mails and if they start messing you about later you will have them on your side from day 1. Same with MCN send them an e-mail with the pics see what they say. Have you tryed spinning the wheel on a stand see if the tyre is running true or is the moulding warped

Update Reply
JP @ 27/08/2013 16:37  

GS1085 ....IT was ME on face book mate ....the clue is in the profile picture lol .....Update so far in Brief -
MCN have never seen anything like it ..and still looking into it for me
Metzeler have stopped sending emails
Tyre bloke has not replied (wanker)
Found an American Guy with very Similar issues with his and he said Dont worry about it and ride the arse off it .....He is 100% sure its not a rubbing issue and has had this a few times ..Combination of Torque and Right hand finesse problems.
And Chicken Strips are when the tyre Is NOT wearing on the edges If Im not mistaken not the other way round !!

Onwards and upwards ......

Update Reply
Intruder18 @ 07/09/2013 12:46  

Nice one Malc Well not that nice But thanks for the update I do hope you get a satisfactory explanation "eventually" But as I've said in private, I think it's "torque" related, combined with low profile thin walled tyres As also said earlier in this thread, I'm no tyre technician However, it don't look right to me

Update Reply
Emzed @ 07/09/2013 13:14  

Had another ride 100 miles or so, riding a bit easier than normally and there is a noticeable difference in size of strips ...they are narrower and not as rough ... Hmmm the saga continues

Thanks for the input on this peeps

Update Reply
Intruder18 @ 07/09/2013 15:07  

Is there any way you could position a camera, to video what's going on Maybe you could see the tyre "deforming" "under load" at different speeds/lean angles etc. If you played it back "slow mo" Or is that too ?

Update Reply
Emzed @ 07/09/2013 15:16  

Good idea emz I will see if I can make a bracket of some description ..

Update Reply
Intruder18 @ 07/09/2013 16:59  

No wurries mate Just tryin to help I'm as curious as you are to find out what's going on Keep us posted with "developments"

Update Reply
Emzed @ 07/09/2013 17:07  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email