MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Condensed courses - a good or bad idea ?

Condensed courses - a good or bad idea ? - Forums [Biker Match] Condensed courses - a good or bad idea ? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Condensed courses - a good or bad idea ?

I am thinking of booking myself on a one week condensed direct access course with Harley Davidson at Builth, Wales. Due to the stupid amount of hours I week, I am finding it really difficult to keep continuity up with my lessons and wonder if maybe just taking a week out to get my test done would be the route to follow. Has anyone done one of these courses ? Is it a good or bad idea ? I realise that nothing can beat time out on the road practising and I have done a fair bit of that, at least if I get my test done I can get out and about and build my riding experience up that way.

Update Reply
TAT2DVEGAN @ 21/08/2007 08:02  

nothing wrong with doing a weeks course , its what you would do if you was going for a hgv licence. , then your free

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/08/2007 08:31  

Sounds a good idea, especially as you've already got some experience. Do you specifically want the Harley course? Otherwise I'm sure you could find something a bit nearer where you live. Try BSM on the web, as they have their own dedicated bike schools.

Update Reply
Wills @ 21/08/2007 09:37  

sounds good - but i think it all depends on the individual. Some people can't do a full week flat-out and prefer to stretch out their tuition. I would have done the full week thing though if it was an option to me at the time.

Update Reply
Matt @ 21/08/2007 10:23  

Think its best to do it that way otherwise bad habits have a tendency to creep in,like poppin wheelies off the trafic lights in front of the instructor...not good.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/08/2007 13:32  

I've heard good things about condensed courses and no-one seems to knock them. Give it a bash, what have you got to lose? Good luck!!

Update Reply
Blueboy955i @ 21/08/2007 14:10  

Go for it hun.

Update Reply
Di @ 21/08/2007 14:39  

I agree with Matt.It's down to the individual,what evers the best course of action for them.

Update Reply
Oggy @ 21/08/2007 14:53  

I started doing an intensive direct access course at Donington park a number of years ago - it started off well, but each day there was a different person teaching us & they all had their own versions of how to do stuff - specifically u turns (my pet hate!) it got a bit confusing - especially when they started arguing with each other over which way it should be done! However (as I've said in other posts ) I lost the plot with the feet up U turns & threw me dummy out the pram & packed it in - confidence went. However, I'm now looking to have another go - have done me motorcycle theory etc & just trying to get some money together to try another intensive course. Tying to figure out where to go & do it aswell - saw one up North of Aberdeen - hmmm...quiet roads methinks So basically - yes I would do an intensive again

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 22/08/2007 06:48  

I think a lot of the Harley and BMW courses are on private roads and although they're not the cheapest I doubt if they'd risk their good names by chopping and changing the instructors. Both based in the southern end of mid-Wales, so plenty of quiety roads anyway.

Update Reply
Wills @ 22/08/2007 07:03  

I've booked with harley davidson at Builth .... It sounds a good course and it is the same instructor all week, plus you get to stay there for the week, so a week away is a bonus :)

Update Reply
TAT2DVEGAN @ 22/08/2007 08:02  

Good luck. When are you going? And don't forget to let us know how you get on.

Update Reply
Wills @ 22/08/2007 08:05  

Don't be lulled into a false sense of security Holmfirth girl.
I did my cbt with a training school in Aberdeen and had to do my
roadcraft in and around Union Street,begining at 4 o'clock on a
Friday afternoon!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/08/2007 12:30  

TAT2DVEGAN i did a weeks course meslf and i found it easier (but i did have over 10 years worth of experience) it is really down to the individual really. if you think you can do it, go for it !! Mr Shaggy

Update Reply
Mr Shaggy @ 22/08/2007 14:31  

a quick tip tad take your mirrors off two weeks before test it forces you to look behind whatever you do i hope it goes well

Update Reply
old gixer boy @ 22/08/2007 14:32  

I'm doing a weeks intensive course a week on monday, so i'll let you know how it goes

Update Reply
darkcarnival @ 22/08/2007 14:36  

two mates of mine did them and passed, at least you get a week away and meet other new bikers, go for it gal an good luck. boom

Update Reply
boomboom @ 22/08/2007 15:30  

I am gonna get shouted at for this....but here goes... I was gonna do a week course, somewhere in Blackburn I think but decided it against it...and have to say I am glad I did...even thou I did the same amount of hours training i spread it across 2 months, ok it was a killer havin to wait but i'm glad I gave myself time to let everything I had learnt sink in...felt more relaxed... But as Matt says it really is down to the person and at the end of the day you only really start learning once you have passed your test and are out on the open road....or eatin grass...lol I passed my test in April and it was the best dam thing I have EVER done.....

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/08/2007 15:39  

Go for it girl, I did an intensive course about 8 years ago and never looked back - most important thing, make sure your instructor gives you regular breaks and you drink plently throughout the day. Lack of fluid and you loose your concentration and get a headache, thats when you begin to not enjoy it. Good luck

Update Reply
middlv @ 22/08/2007 15:53  

Go ed girl, take the bull by the horns (Or the bike by the handlebars) and go for it. A few mates of mine have done a condensed course and flew through it with flying colours.

Update Reply
rattler @ 23/08/2007 20:09  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email