MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Advice on where to start

Advice on where to start - Forums [Biker Match] Advice on where to start - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Advice on where to start

Hi all,

Several years ago I used to enjoy riding out (pillion) and meeting up with the friendly biker community.

In the absence of pillion opportunities, I have recently been wondering whether I should build some courage, learn to ride for myself and get back out there again.

I was wondering whether anyone could give me some advice on where to start?

Update Reply
Cookie1708 @ 03/02/2013 09:07  

Hi cookie and welcome to the club Moving this topic from Newbies to the General forum but made it an 'Active' topic

Update Reply
Sandi @ 03/02/2013 09:23  

hi cookie welcome to bm x
ok think the best place to start would be find your local cbt training centre, use yell.com, just type in cbt training.

You need to do this first before going to the cost buying your own bike, at the centre you will find out if you have the condiefence to ride on your own, as its not as easy as being a pilliion.

Once you have done this and are confident that you can ride a 125 then let us know, we can give yo more information hugs kay x

Update Reply
kaycat @ 03/02/2013 09:27  

Hi Cookie welcome to the site loads of folk up your way and Im sure you will get loads of help and advice. Take a look at site staff list at the bottom of the page see who is local to you and drop them a pm. Hope to see you at an event later in the year JP

Update Reply
JP @ 03/02/2013 09:29  

Hi Cookie Take a look at www.geton.co.uk Get On is a Motorcycle Industry funded campaign which aims to introduce as many people as possible to the fun, freedom and financial savings that can be made by a switch to a motorcycle or scooter. There are over 100 centres around the country where you can experience for yourself just how easy it is to ride. All the kit is provided and you get personal guidance from a trained professional in a safe and secure area away from cars so you can relax and enjoy yourself. And it’s completely FREE. There’s no catch. Read more at http://www.geton.co.uk/content/whats-it-all-about#y3b3u...rdJ46gv.99 and http://www.geton.co.uk/content/whats-it-all-about (watch the video) Therre is at least one lady on here that i recommended this to, who now has her own bike (You know who you are)....maybe you could let cookie know how it goes >? Hope that helps.

Update Reply
VFR800AJ @ 03/02/2013 10:05  

Hi cookie. I was a learner for (err) a very long time but I can remember how intimidated & nervous I felt approaching my bike school for the first time.

Believe me any bike school worth its salt loves having grown up lady riders coming along cos they listen to what they're being told, and they will do their best to encourage you to develop at your own pace. A decent school enjoys seeing us succeed

But first you have to take the step and contact them to book either a taster session or CBT

And if you contact or try a school and you don't feel you're getting on, then try another. Like I said I was learning on and off for years and I've had loads of instructors - vast majority were brilliant, but not all were. I bet there's quite a few to choose from in Blackpool.

Good luck and enjoy, cos there's so much fun in front of you if you go for it

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 03/02/2013 10:11  

Hi cookie i agree with the above in either the free option orrr go for your CBT The sense of achievement when you pass your cbt will be awesome for you and you will then start to realise you can do it..... determination. When you first ride a bike it is a very weird sensation coz you almost dont believe it will keep going so slowly and keep its balance bt it does at very slow speeds... it's nowt to be scared of... go for it... what a brill achivement it would be for you eh and even if you decide after cbt not to go further well... the cbt is an achievement in itself so i guess ya have two options... the free trial or your cbt... either way good luck and go for it chick i didnt have any bike to practice on of my own between lessons and i passed first time, bt that may be coz i didnt have to do stupid stuff they get you to do these days, so maybe it was easier who knows! GO For It Chick x

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/02/2013 16:31  

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

I am going to book in to do my CBT.

I have an embarrassing memory of borrowing my dad's scooter many moons ago and crashing it in to a parked car.

If nothing else, I can prove to myself that I can do it.

Have emailed a couple of local training centres to see what courses they offer. One has come back asking my height saying that this normally affects the bike size licence they go for. Can anyone explain to me why?

Update Reply
Cookie1708 @ 03/02/2013 16:46  

i had to do my test and lessons on a 125 cookie coz i couldnt safely or comfortably reach the ground on the bigger bike so had no choice bt to do it on smaller bike that will be what they mean chick i would think - bt go and sit on their bikes and see for yourself if you disagree with the decision tehy make but you need to be comffortable with foot on ground or you will be worrying about balance rather than learning to ride chick hoep that helps - and WELL done ... wooohooo you will love it ...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/02/2013 17:02  

Hi Cookie Go for it. Best thing I've done in such a long time. I'm a newbie to it all as I only passed in July 2012. Like Suzix I did mine on a 125 cos of height issues and not being able to get the bigger bike onto the centre stand even when it had been lowered (height and weight ratio). Also like Suzix I didn't get any practice between lessons and I managed to pass. Its a lot to take on board, but soooooo worth it. The schools are getting used to seeing more of us women coming in and learning. Can't remember where I read it but apparantly we are the growth area in biking. More and more schools are catering for women and taking on board that a good portion of us have shorter legs. Also think about whether you need to learn on the bigger engines. Getting on and getting your confidence is the key thing. Whether you do the taster sessions, or whether you go CBT it will be an amazing start. I did my CBT on a scooter (and yes fell of that..I've fallen off everything...hell, I fall over my own feet). Once I passed the CBT though, you couldn't have stopped me from getting on that 125. The sense of freedom is beyond anything I can tell you. And you don't stop smiling for weeks afterwards. Its the most liberating, most fun, most all out terrifying thing I've ever pushed myself to do....and I don't regret one bit of it not even the falling off. RB x

Update Reply
rowanblossom @ 03/02/2013 17:45  

What an encouraging bunch of people you are.

Just thinking about it has me smiling. Will probably be far more terrified when it comes down to it but you guys have given me the encouragement to feel like nothing ventured.....

I've taken on board what you've said about bike sizes etc. I guess it's in my nature to think "don't suggest I have limits!!!" but there are obviously practicalities further down the line.

Update Reply
Cookie1708 @ 03/02/2013 17:56  

hahahaha Cookie... well if ya cant reach the floor ya ait got much choice chick well not on their bikes anyhow but soon as you pass, then the world is yours .. wi the wind in your hair, the feelig of freedom, and its just awesome and soooooo worth it

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/02/2013 18:00  

Cookie ditto everything that suzi & rowanblossom say.

I'm 5 foot tall and all the 125s at my local bike school, not to mention the Direct Access 500 bikes (they will be 600s now) were too big for me.

I bought my own 125. I sold it a couple of weeks ago with an extra 5/6000 miles on the clock and I'd dropped it a fair few times over the 2 and half years I had it...it happens....I still managed to sell it easy for exactly what I paid for it. They hold their value

I'll be honest, I didn't find it easy doing my CBT and I didn't complete it in one day. You can't fail your CBT. You just keep going back till you reach the required standard. I had to go back a few times. And I was a nervous wreck going out on my bike the first few times on my own. There were many times when I questioned whether I can do this

But Cookie, it's so bloomin brilliant when it all falls into place and you realise for the first time you've relaxed and you're riding naturally. I can't begin to describe the joy and laughs riding has brought to me over the last 2 years and I wouldn't have missed this for the world

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 03/02/2013 18:23  

well put rowanblossom and minnie i cna remember when he said right we are off out on the road now after the monring of my cbt... my life i thought whaaaat... hahahaha... i was riding along in teh bike lane and he came in my earpiece andsaid suzi you are in the bike lane... and i thought yeah i know where im meant to be and carried on... he came back in my earpiece and said .. suzi get out the bike lane you aint on a push bike and hold your space in teh normal traffic lane once you pass your test you still are learning and then like minnie said you start to relaxe and love ya bike and love riding.. you fnd the right bike for you and there is no stopping you.. you and your bike together out there on yrou adventures ......... whoooooop ps.. i have many other tales to tell lmao and probably still a few more to find yet on my bike lol lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/02/2013 18:30  

It's all good advice, the information the guys and girls especially VFR gave is brilliant, I'm sure if more potential motorcyclists had this it would encourage more to the fray.... I hope all goes well and look forward to seeing you breeze down the road with a nod of the head :) you'll out and about in no time...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/02/2013 20:37  

Thanks for the compliment Jtb.....still not going to marry you though... In all seriousness though, i think this was a good subject to raise by Cokie and has raised some good comment too. I think the lurkers on here, if some of them are after this sort of info, will benefit from this too. Hopefully see em out on the road in the future too. I never cocked a leg over a bike until i was 47 and i still remember the mixture of fear/adrenalin i got when i first started, the first time my instructor (Sean Hayes) said.lets go out and play in the traffic. But, yes, I love it, as my profile says though, I just dont get out enough.

Update Reply
VFR800AJ @ 04/02/2013 13:02  

No chance of marriage VFR been there done that got the Tshirts...with what little money I have left ha ha...

As they say 'four wheels moves the body, two wheels moves the soul'

Anyone thinking about trying biking, just go to one of the places VFR posted a link too, the only person stopping you getting on a bike or getting into biking is yourself.... Everything starts from within....

Ok that's my Confucius bit done for today lol.....Shay shay!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/02/2013 15:59  

How great to read this thread - good to know I'm not alone with my doubts and fears, and so encouraging to know how well others have done. Did my CBT at the end of September and was sooo scared - but so unbelievably chuffed when I got the certificate. Now have my 125 and, like Minnie, alternate between being scared stiff and trying to convince myself that I can do it, to feeling great when I've been out. Have had some unbelievably great support from a friend from BM, too. Looking forward to the better weather, gaining confidence and (hopefully!!) improving. Good luck Cookie!

Update Reply
Saltaire @ 04/02/2013 22:18  

Good luck with it Cookie - I have just got back after my training session and am buzzing - I love it. First lesson and first time out on the road was a bit daunting but the trainers are used to "middle aged" women wanting to have fun now and cope with me very well (or at least they hide their laughter and tears very well!). I am hoping to go for my Mod 1 in 2-3 weeks and find that a bit scary to say the least. I love it though - it has done my confidence the world of good - and I have made loads of friends through BM that will be friends for life. Just enjoy it! Cx

Update Reply
Nowgotabike @ 04/02/2013 22:36  

well done to all you girls keep it up, some usfull advice on here for any one just starting, congrats. Min well done.

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 05/02/2013 03:45  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email