MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

ICE you phone

ICE you phone - Forums [Biker Match] ICE you phone - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

ICE you phone

Please read, it could save a life!ICE YOUR PHONEApparently this is a standard procedure paramedics follow at the scene of an accident when they come across your mobile phone.... ICE - 'In Case of Emergency'We all carry our mobile phones with names & numbers stored in its memory but nobody, other than ourselves, knows which of these numbers belong to our closest family or friends.If we were to be involved in an accident or were taken ill, the people attending us would have our mobile phone but wouldn't know who to call.. Yes, there are hundreds of numbers stored but which one is the contact person in case of an emergency? Hence this 'ICE' (In Case of Emergency) Campaign.The concept of 'ICE' is catching on quickly. It is a method of contact during emergency situations. As cell(mobile) phones are carried by the majority of the population, all you need to do is store the number of a contact person or persons who should be contacted during emergency under the name 'ICE' (In Case Of Emergency).The idea was thought up by a paramedic who found that when he went to the scenes of accidents, there were always mobile phones with patients, but they didn't know which number to call. He therefore thought that it would be a good idea if there was a nationally recognized name for this purpose. In an emergency situation, Emergency Service personnel and hospital Staff would be able to quickly contact the right person by simply dialing the number you have stored as 'ICE.'For more than one contact name simply enter ICE1, ICE2 and ICE3 etc. A great idea that will make a difference! Let's spread the concept of ICE by storing an ICE number in our Mobile phones today!ICE will speak for you when you are not able to.

Update Reply
bomb doctor @ 13/01/2013 23:01  

Top post bomb

Update Reply
Emzed @ 13/01/2013 23:05  

Had ice on mine for a long time now...and the SOS med too...thank you though BD...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 13/01/2013 23:10  

Great post, gunna add it What the SOS med thing Jen? xxx

Update Reply
Crissy2012 @ 13/01/2013 23:18  

I've had it in my phone for a couple of years now Jen, but thought id post for newer members of the site.
I think it should be standard practice across the board nationally and not just bikers. Kids should have in their phones etc for contacting parents in emergencies etc. The Gov should do a national advertising campaign on ICE, but that would be sensible thing to do and a good way to spend our taxes.

Update Reply
bomb doctor @ 13/01/2013 23:18  

Totally agree BD with all you say....maybe too easy for the Government eh ? Or too selfish !! But brilliant that you have informed folks who didnt know BD......Heres me thinking it was common knowledge ..x

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 13/01/2013 23:23  

I dont think it is common knowledge Jen, thats the whole trouble. Not all bike sites, magazines talk about it enough. I know MAG plug it alot. There was a thread on here last year some time too. Found a link that explains it more: http://www.motorcycleinfo.co.uk/index.cfm?fa=contentGen...geId=92479

Update Reply
bomb doctor @ 13/01/2013 23:32  

Great post, never heard of it before but good idea, will do it now.

Update Reply
Sweeny Todd @ 13/01/2013 23:47  

Good post B Doc!

I do ICE with all my students in case they're taken ill or have an accident.....and have needed to use it twice now !!

Like Jen says, I thought everyone knew of this,,,,,but it's not something the government can make money out of is it!!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 14/01/2013 10:43  

Have seen it on telly before and have added that on my girls phone a couple of years back but great on you Betty for making it more public here

Update Reply
TheSlasher @ 14/01/2013 10:48  

I'm amazed that others don't know of this, I've had my ICE number in my mobile phone for about 7 years now, thankfully I've never needed it. A good idea posting about it for those who haven't heard of it, nice one Doc Remember tho that your mobile phone may part company with you if you are on a bike and have an accident so always keep copies of your ICE number(s) in your coat and your bag/wallet/inside your helmet, with your *green dot details. *http://www.bikermatch.co.uk/sites/bm/forum/posts.asp?to...c_id=11329

Update Reply
Sandi @ 14/01/2013 10:52  

been meaning to do this for ages...just never got round to it....until now. Thanks for the reminder and kick up the proverbial. RB

Update Reply
rowanblossom @ 14/01/2013 12:55  

Some phones now have an ICE section within the phone - i got a basic Old peoples phone for him and it has that feature The only problem with it on most phones is when you have a password on the phone :(

Update Reply
Roughie @ 14/01/2013 13:04  

Roughie - I was just gonna say the same thing, I've had ICE on my phone for ages, but I also have my phone password protected, so it slightly defeats the object! So as Sandi says, have your ICE number written somewhere else about your person (no rude coments ta lol)

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 14/01/2013 14:44  

I agree this is a problem with folk having password proteted mobile phones, but not everyone locks their phone. I for one don't and I'm not alone. They could simply stick an ICE No. on the back of the mobile under sellotape so it doesn't rub off (but to to some folk that would be uncool). Like Sandi has mentioned, in addition a small buisiness size card with the info in yur pocket or wallet/purse will assist the emergency services no end in contacting the right people if god forbid, anything happened and the info was needed. Sandi has also raised the link of the CRASH Card which sit in your helmet and a green dot on the side. Again another good initiative to direct the emergency services to where they can find information about you. But again you could say there are issues with that as the helmet has to be removed to retrieve the info. No system will ever be perfect but they're all better than nothing at the end of the day. What folk need to ask themselves; is how important is it to them that if they were in a situation where the emergency services needed the info, how important is it to ensure it is available somewhere on their possession.

Update Reply
bomb doctor @ 14/01/2013 15:06  

Ive got an SOS bracelet that is never taken off , it unscrews and every bit of personal and medical information is there along with phone numbers, address , allergy's and ICE number . Its waterproof too and its instantly recognised Internationally...(Paramedics and Medics )... its worked for me on numerous occations, so maybe something else for folks to think about. Everything like this really does help..

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 14/01/2013 16:32  

The bracelet is GOOD Jen Unlike a mobile phone it's battery can't go flat And a phone could so easily get damaged in the event of an off Acu racing rules require dog tags and I still have mine I also used to have a Dymo label on my helmet which said "Please remove glasses BEFORE helmet" I'm not saying don't use ICE I'm recommending a "belt and braces" approach

Update Reply
Emzed @ 14/01/2013 16:43  

I've got ICE numbers on my phone - have had em for a few years now bt yeah its brill to spread the word BD as its good for any occasion not just on ya bike the only thing i think tho is its all very well tryingto think of every single eventuality adn cover them all bt at the end of the day you jus gotta live and enjoy life and what did we do before ICE and mobiles and messages in back pockets, and tattoos on forehead, and pen messages on palms of hands, and inside leg measurements on our leathers tec etc

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 14/01/2013 20:34  

Anything that help is a great idea .. like i have said i have ICE i also have the green dot card in my helmet - driving licence and contact details in my purse every littel helps

Update Reply
Roughie @ 15/01/2013 11:05  

yeah fairenufski Roughie ......

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/01/2013 20:15  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email