MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

If helmets were optional would you still wear one?

If helmets were optional would you still wear one? - Forums [Biker Match] If helmets were optional would you still wear one? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

If helmets were optional would you still wear one?

I would. Apart from the obvious safety aspect, I have fine hair and it knots if it's allowed to roam free in the breeze, plus I get earache. Would you wear a helmet if you didn't have to?

Update Reply
Sandi @ 03/01/2013 23:51  

Yes I sure would Sandi.....for my own peace of mind...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/01/2013 00:09  

Would depend on the circumstances for me.

Update Reply
GS1085 @ 04/01/2013 00:14  

I'm curious GS, please explain?

Update Reply
Sandi @ 04/01/2013 00:19  

oh most definately.....as the author of a few undignified dismounts me noggin always seems to beat everything to point of first impact lol

Update Reply
nellie @ 04/01/2013 02:25  

Haven't you fitted those stabilisers yet, Nells?

Update Reply
Sandi @ 04/01/2013 05:50  

Well Sandi as one of those who first learned how to ride without a helmet I can honestly say that in some situations I would like the option NOT to wear one again When riding a sidecar outfit When strapped into my crash tested C1 with seat belts And on some quiet rural roads on fine summer days I could wax lyrical for ages about "freedom of choice" But suffice to say I miss having that "choice" But on cold wet dreary days on an unfaired bike I wouldn't swap my "full face" helmet for a gold pig

Update Reply
Emzed @ 04/01/2013 06:02  

I didn't know, until recently, what year the helmet law started, turns out it was the same year I started to ride. Typical lol

Update Reply
Sandi @ 04/01/2013 06:20  

Most of the time I would wear a helmet, but now and again when bimbling along a quiet road, on a sunny day it's nice not too.

Having said that the first time I did that within 100 yards some insect came in an intercept course and straight into my ear!

So beware of unexpected dangers.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 04/01/2013 07:58  

Always quite like my face not the best looking but the only one I have.

Update Reply
colin675 @ 04/01/2013 08:34  

absolutely. only got one brain...not much of one to be fair, but would like to keep it and being a complete clutz safety comes first.

Update Reply
rowanblossom @ 04/01/2013 09:25  

I have never worn anything but a full faced lid, once a bee hit my cheekbone when visor was up, not a pleasant experience... just glad it wasnt a wasp as the bee was trapped inside the helmet lol couldnt wear my specs for a week after. Never tried an open faced one, and on hot summers days it would be great to just go naked.... helmet wise, but not sure I would go without on runs, for safety reasons

Update Reply
TheSlasher @ 04/01/2013 09:28  

Yup, only time I've not worn one is riding the bike into the depot after washing it. Just feels right to have it one really. Never had any other options. :)

Update Reply
MjN @ 04/01/2013 11:09  

On public roads definately

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/01/2013 11:09  

I would always wear a helmet

Update Reply
Roughie @ 04/01/2013 14:08  

I'm in the Fred Hill camp on this topic and given the option would not wear one.

Update Reply
Gloom @ 04/01/2013 17:42  

I ride a trike but after seeing the state of me helmet after I was side swiped by a car whilst riding a bike I would ALWAYS wear me lid

Update Reply
drobess @ 04/01/2013 18:01  

I would always wear mine - I've never known a time when you couldn't wear one so it is just second nature to me.... a bit like buckling up when you get in a car. Its just one of those things you do on auto-pilot!

Update Reply
Nowgotabike @ 04/01/2013 18:04  

~Fred Hill~ was amazing - i still think it shoudl be choice liek it is on a pushbike..... Not sure i would feel right without one as liek others didnt go on a bike till 1982 ... on on motorways etc defo...bt a wee bimble in the summer wow i think that would be awesome I recall a very good friend of mine only last year i think it was goign to the shop on his bike to fetch some milk and when he got back saying do i look like something missing.... He had been riding along thinkig wow this is a lovely breeze... got to petrol station.... got back on bike and realised had gone without his lid all along main road etc - bet it was ace tho and i bet onlookers tought.....~typical bad ass harley rider~ hahahahaha

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/01/2013 18:15  

I usually always wear a full face flip top Caberg, I have an open face harley lid as well that I once wore while riding to Cumbria on the M6 at 70 I got hit on the mouth by something and arrived looking i'd had an extreme trout pout lol. In saying all of that and knowing the very sensible reasoning for wearing full face/open face lids - I would love the choice, I once rode a back country road with no lid, on a hot summers day, not far but it was absolutely awesome-I loved it

Update Reply
BOBKAT @ 04/01/2013 18:45  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email