MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Cold, misty morning misted up specs

Cold, misty morning  misted up specs - Forums [Biker Match] Cold, misty morning  misted up specs - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Cold, misty morning misted up specs

Please please please...I need to be able to see! I'm trying to ride as often as I can cos I've got to keep my learning momentum going as much as I can Tis very tempting (and quicker) to jump in the car for the journey to work but I need to make myself get kitted up and go on my bike. I've had couple of pretty gruesome journeys cos of damp cold misty conditions- we get a lot of very low cloud here. I wear specs & my glasses & visor get covered in really fine droplets & I can't see a thing. When it gets bad I ride with my visor up & peering over the top of my specs perched on the end of my hooter...clearly this isn't good but it's the best vision I can get Please, any hints/ tips or products? I've tried neat washing up liquid & breathing on the lenses & nikwax rain proof rain repellant but it doesn't help with the really fine droplets

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 06/10/2012 22:52  

is it the outside of your visor or the inside? if its inside then a 'pinlock' insert is the answer - visors/inserts are available for most helmets... if its the outside then i dont think theres much more you can do than a quick wipe with the finger.. the fine stuff is more irritating than proper rain as that normally runs off, or if it beads you can clear it by turning your head.. never tried a vee-wip but may help. look here..... http://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/bob-heath-vee-wipes-4465.html as for the specs, try the bob heath stuff http://www.bobheathvisors.co.uk/accessories.html although if you're getting a decent flow of air through the helmet they should stay clear whilst on the move... opening the visor is the start of a bit of a viscious circle as you then get damp inside the lid which then makes the condensation worse, but been there and done that, its not good is it..

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/10/2012 23:45  

There are products you can buy to spray on to dispel condensation on specs and the inside of a visor to stop them steaming up. Personally a drop of washing up liquid on the surface and then polished off has always worked just fine for stopping steaming / internal condensation.

Externally I'd use this:

http://gtechniq.com/shop/3s-for-cars/exterior-coatings/g5-water-repellent-coating-for-glass-and-perspex/

Don't use rain X - which does the same thing as the above on glass windscreens as it buggers up the visor making it go cloudy.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/10/2012 00:23  

Moved this thread to this forum, 'Bikes, Products & Services', from the Technical forum.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 07/10/2012 12:07  

Minnie I wear specs too,takes a bit of experimentation but IF your visor has a click-lock system(stays where it is put) it is possible to set visor so it catches drizzle and leave you clear specs to look through,unfortunately for last 25 years I have ridden sports bikes with a different riding position to yours so can't tell if it will work on your bike,I find my glasses mist up from my breath when at traffic lights (from breathing) but clear in a second or so when forward motion is resumed,all adds to winter riding fun,trying to time arrival at lights/queue without braking and/or stopping.Bob Heath stuff IS good as well.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/10/2012 18:51  

Minnie, I have just got some "Fogtech" to try and solve the same issue that you have. I tried it on the visor before doing the RTTW and it seemed to work ok but haven't tried it on the specs yet. It's not cheap though.

The blurb states :-

"Fogtech is targeted specifically to prevent fogging on today's high tech plastics and glass, providing crystal clear vision through safety goggles, glasses, prescription lenses or face shields.

Our one step application is designed to work in seconds and stop fogging for days. No rubbing means your eye protection lasts longer without scratching or the wearing away of expensive coatings."

I purchased mine on the internet and you can watch a video of the product in action which is what convinced me to try it out.

Update Reply
Scorpio54 @ 08/10/2012 21:09  

i stop in bed unill every thing has cleared up seriously dont know of any cure i look over the top of my specks

Update Reply
havfun @ 09/10/2012 16:07  

Cheers everyone for your suggestions...it's moist, wet, low cloud and those sinister tiny little droplets that causes me probs....straight forward misting up on the inside of specs & visor clears as soon as I get moving properly I think I'm going to get some daily disposable contact lenses again & just use them when I need them. I've had em before but don't really enjoy poking things into my eyeballs ....but they don't mist up, least ways not that I remember

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 09/10/2012 18:08  

Old school, washing up liquid, glasses and visor, sorted

Update Reply
JimmyJ @ 10/10/2012 13:41  

Min i have to agree with Ken on the "Fogtech" stuff its brilliant on your specs and they also do a product called "rain off" (i think) which will keep the outside of your visor clear too
As ken says its not cheap but that is relative coz you dont need to use loads so it goes a long way

Both these products have been fully tested by Ride magazine and get "best buy/recommended" ratings compared to alternative products

IMHO though its REALLY good gear and worth every penny

Update Reply
Stroggyman @ 22/10/2012 20:40  

Cheers stroggy & ken. I'll look that one up.

I've bought a new helmet and last night rode home from Lancaster, 45 mins in the dark. It wasn't damp so none of the dratted really fine droplets but christ it was cold. But no misting inside my lid at all. . .definitely a better helmet

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 22/10/2012 22:19  

Hi Min i use spray called Zooke i got in the US but it should be on the net. its excellent stuff and works brilliantly for me on the bike and when i'm skiing , they allso have a cream in a small container which fits easily in a pocket and works just as well

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 23/10/2012 05:49  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email