MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Lowering an ER5

Lowering an ER5 - Forums [Biker Match] Lowering an ER5 - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Lowering an ER5

Does anyone have experience of lowering a Kawasaki ER5? Looking for my first post-test bike and sat on my mate's lowered ER5 a couple of days ago and was surprised how nice it felt. I didn't feel like I was leaning really forward, as I expected and I could reach over the tank ok It was still an inch or two too high for me but started me thinking maybe it is possible. What's involved? Will it cost me a shed load of money? And is it possible bearing in mind I'm really short at 5'

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 13/09/2012 08:16  

Dont cost that much you just get a lowering kit for the back but what you lower at the back you can do the same at the front. If you look on E-Bay thay are listed on there so its just getting it fitted there are loads on here that can do it for you probley take a couple of hours just long enough for you to cook there dinner. You can just get the seat sculpted where thay make the seat narrower that allows you to have a longer reach down to the floor but that can hurt the resale value. Or you could just get a pit bike lol

Update Reply
JP @ 13/09/2012 09:29  

Just been into my bike shop (he's not a rip off). The list price of a lowering kit is £369!! Showed me on the screen. eeks! He was surprised too hmmm, oh well back to the drawing board ...was just an idea Going to have to be a monkey bike I guess

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 13/09/2012 11:08  

Loads of bikes to look at in that size range so you will find the right bike for you

Update Reply
JP @ 13/09/2012 11:16  

all you need is a shorter spring fitted to the rear unit then drop the fork legs in the yokes 10mm spring is about £80

Update Reply
christof @ 13/09/2012 22:29  

Hagon do shocks with shorter springs which sre a straight bolt on
or just the springs which is slightly longer job . then drop forkd to match. and chop the seat... they're a popular bike for the vertically challrnged so u may well pick up one alresdy modded

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/09/2012 06:41  

Or keep a watch for one that is already lowered.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 15/09/2012 07:17  

Try A honda cb500 quite low and cheap as chips Ginger x

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/09/2012 12:34  

lowering kits ( linkages only ) for about 40 notes firm barnsly area (on ebay) but forgat theire name at the mo but rember lowering the bike will make it stand up more upright with standerd side stand and you will have further to lift/move the bike to put it on center stand might have to shorten side stand and centre stand

Update Reply
havfun @ 15/09/2012 14:46  

carnt spell either

Update Reply
havfun @ 15/09/2012 14:47  

Thanks for reminder about shortening the stands havfun.

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 15/09/2012 22:53  

Hi,, The school I help out have a Suzuki GS 500 that the suspention has been lowered and the seat has been re sculptured, works well with the not so tall trainees, these bikes run well on 33bhp restriction and are cheap to buy and insure. I rode one and hardly any difference in the power as they only about 50 to start with. Can get lots of extras for them to change it around and make it your own, also not expensive. Anyway hope you are ok

Update Reply
Sweeny Todd @ 15/09/2012 23:13  

Cheers for that Rich I'm ok ta, still a bit miffed about the mod 1 canellation but i'm carrying on what i've been doing, you know, pootling about, the odd lesson, and conducting research ....so your heads up on the suzuki GS500 is really useful

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 15/09/2012 23:43  

New dog bone linkages for the rear end are available for about forty quid. Easy to fit, i did two bikes for a friend. They drop the seat about two inches.

Update Reply
GreyGra @ 16/09/2012 07:36  

Isnt er5 twin shock ?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/09/2012 06:05  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email