MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

So ..... who's afraid of the dark !

So ..... who's afraid of the dark ! - Forums [Biker Match] So ..... who's afraid of the dark ! - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

So ..... who's afraid of the dark !

I've been going to start this thread for while now but a BMer has just reminded with a conversation in "chat" Who rides at night ? Who would be "up" for a "night ride" ? I'm thinking that ultimately it would be an overnight ride somewhere for breakfast ? It would also benefit some of our novices to get used to riding their bikes in the dark After all you will "have" to do it one day so better to get used to it Thoughts please

Update Reply
Emzed @ 14/07/2012 18:30  

Great idea less cars on the road

Update Reply
Vladamir @ 14/07/2012 18:39  

Country lanes become more hazardous with wildlife though - used to work till early hours and had all sorts of run-ins because of badgers and foxes etc. running out in front of bike lol, Great idea though, I'm much better riding at night, my eyes get tired in sunlight, specially driving

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 14/07/2012 18:49  

Only thing puts me off is the abundance of potholes which haven't been filled in !!!

Update Reply
VFR800AJ @ 14/07/2012 20:37  

Fantastic idea, Emz,

Count me in...

Imagine all those lights on my outfit, it would be like floodlights!

Update Reply
Eight @ 14/07/2012 21:00  

Good point Emm In that case we'll let you lead the way "If" we can keep up

Update Reply
Emzed @ 14/07/2012 21:46  

Id be up for this depending on when it is, I like ridding in the dark find it very soothing. used to go out for a 3am blast when I was in MK and couldnt sleep :)

Update Reply
cavywavy @ 14/07/2012 22:16  

Interesting idea emzed, looks like you've got yourself a project. Count me in !

Update Reply
RickM @ 15/07/2012 08:19  

ur all nuts! lol too much wildlife as someone else said....here you can add deer to THAT list - not a jolly encounter on a bike i can tell ya!

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 15/07/2012 10:16  

Good Idea but as said I think riders need to sure thay know what there up agains at night and early morning

Update Reply
JP @ 15/07/2012 10:18  

Sounds good. Personnaly I love watching an arc of cats eyes reflecting back at me on a good night run, mind you, I actually enjoy riding in fog too!

Update Reply
centurion @ 15/07/2012 15:05  

Sounds great. So we have Eight up front with the flood lights on. Someone playing the bagpipes in the chair. Followed by a few Harley's with load pipes, to keep the wild life at bay. Ah, need an idea for the pot holes! Oh yes, a motorway maintenance 8 wheeler full of tarmac and a shovel to drive a few miles ahead of the convoy. Sorry for jesting, I couldn't resist it. It's a good idea emzed. One thing I notice in the rain late last night, my vision is not as it should be and found it a real strain. So off to the opticians I go. Riding or driving at night is much more difficult with poor vision when it is raining and even more difficult if you are not familiar with the road.

Update Reply
davidneale @ 15/07/2012 16:15  

This'll be a laugh; parental responsibilities/work permitting I'm up for this!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/07/2012 19:12  

Woooohooo hell yeah im in this one. Lurv riding in the moonlight, great idea, count me in!!!!!!

Update Reply
wenders @ 15/07/2012 19:16  

the brecon is fantastic at night three in the morning earily quiet and yes peaceful at the same time like being in the lord of the rings

really really good :) clear no light see the stars ( yes watch out for badgers )

errr a 5 or tyhrough, shrewsbury or newtown a470 ,and down

then through merthyr and on the dual carriage way

arrive in cardiff in the morning for breakfast after wards

amazing run

Update Reply
earthwind @ 16/07/2012 00:57  

or through the scottish highlands straight down through the middle turn along the coast road from john o groats heading west then left onto the main A road, and downwards but even though its an A road its single track can see other vehicles coming for miles (or go up through the middle) thurn right on the coast road to john o groats

there is a gteat place to stop (if the pub/hotel is still there and ii am sure they were so nice they would be glad of a few bike types popping in for coffee about 12 ish maybe later have done so before early hours of the morning am ( midgies permitting )

http://www.visithighlands.com/images/maps/70516

then
http://www.visithighlands.com/images/maps/70524

a836 at tounge its beautiful

http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/map/google_map_scotland.htm

Update Reply
earthwind @ 16/07/2012 01:30  

Amazing responses so far peeps Keep them coming please I thought it might appeal to a few I'm working on some ideas at the moment But always open to suggestions Will post more later

Update Reply
Emzed @ 16/07/2012 06:17  

Just a thought regarding pot holes. How about getting a BM local to ride the proposed route a couple of days before in the daytime. They could then at least give us an all clear, or report on areas to watch out for on the pot hole front.

Update Reply
davidneale @ 16/07/2012 06:51  

Love it. Night riding is great fun, less hassle, very few cars, no coppers, wild life usually doesn't present a problem with a bike because they hear you coming. Unlike cars that are very quiet, and I ride alot at night, 200 miles each way when i ride. The main problem you get on dark unlit country trunk roads, is truck headlights, you get an eyefull of 4 x 24v 90watt Halogens on full beam doing 60 mph on a road you don't know, not funny. The other is the cold. Even in summer, when it gets to 3 -4 o'clock the temp can drop, and drop rapidly, it's coldest just before the sun comes up, don't get caught out in thin riding gear, once you start to shiver you've lost it. I don't want to teach you guys how to suck eggs, but even I get caught sometimes. Like I said night riding is great, but it's not the 10 ,11 ,12 o'clock at night that gets you, it's the 3 - 4 'clock n the morning that'll do it.

Update Reply
esspique @ 16/07/2012 14:58  

Sounds like fun, I've done a bit of night riding in the past, the only thing that would concern me is the risk of being 'not seen' by other road users.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/07/2012 15:23  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email