MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

So ..... who's afraid of the dark !

So ..... who's afraid of the dark ! (2) - Forums [Biker Match] So ..... who's afraid of the dark ! (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

So ..... who's afraid of the dark !

Bluey, not being funny mate, but, to write that on a forum like this, You might be safer just staying at home. Build up your night riding experience slowly, if you are going to be out early morn and worrying about other road users not seeing you, you would not enjoy an overnight ride, there are far worse dangers an worries. Be safe.

Update Reply
esspique @ 16/07/2012 15:32  

I don't like the Dark, I can't see our Friends the Police!
Most of the endorsements and points I've had were earned in the dark, them Jam cars would creep up on me unawares! And I have a clean licence at the moment. thanks

Update Reply
Viking Tel @ 16/07/2012 16:17  

Just a thought regarding pot holes. How about getting a BM local to ride the proposed route a couple of days before in the daytime. They could then at least give us an all clear, or report on areas to watch out for on the pot hole front Excellent idea davidneale

Update Reply
Vladamir @ 16/07/2012 16:26  

What the????? David and Vlad, you couldn't make it up. Ride the route and report back. Do you walk to work before you ride, just incase there might be a pot hole? Jeepers, get a life.

Update Reply
esspique @ 16/07/2012 16:33  

I could make it up, but I was perfectly serious. Think about it!

Update Reply
davidneale @ 16/07/2012 17:29  

It is possible that there will be less exprienced riders in the group and they should be given every chance of a safe ride. So why not find out from local riders, who are likely to ride the chosen routes often, it is not the same as me walking my route to work checking for potholes before riding it.
The good thing about BM is that we do look after each other where possible.

Update Reply
davidneale @ 16/07/2012 18:10  

sounds like a plan, though niteridilg does have its pitfalls , eg diesel fresh road kill poor roaad surfaces etc etc, but im always up for a challenge so yeah im in keep me posted eh bring it on...

Update Reply
spaceboy4 @ 16/07/2012 18:16  

sorry forgot to mention the extra strain it puts on the eyes...fatigue might be a problem for some.. great idea though as i said im in....

Update Reply
spaceboy4 @ 16/07/2012 18:21  

Right lets introduce a note of "sanity" back into this topic I proposed it as a "ride out" So how the it's ended up in general s***e is beyond me Might have something to do with going "off topic", again It was "never" my intention to take novices out on badly lit and poorly maintained roads I was going to suggest that we take some out on a"dark evening ride" To help build up their confidence, not scare them half to death After all the vast majority will have done most if not ALL of their training in daylight (apart from a few who may have done some training in the winter months when it goes dark early) Not to drag them half asleep halfway across the country in the middle of the night FFS do you lot think I'm mad All I wanted to do was to sound out how many would be interested And find out who thought riding at night was outside their comfort zone The "overnight" element was aimed at "experienced" riders and "intermediates" who want to improve their "night riding" skills If a night ride is being planned, then "preparation" is the key Plenty of rest beforehand, treat it like doing a night shift and make sure your "night vision" is up to it by "testing" yourself before committing to a ride with others who expect you to be "on the ball" I was going to propose a "pick-up" point type of ride, where we could plan a route "collecting" riders along the way This may well involve using "some" motorways and "A" roads before taking a more "scenic" element to a final destination As for "potholes" and "wildlife", we are always going to come across "unexpected" hazards whilst riding a bike whether it be at night or in daylight Learning to cope with them is valuable experience It wouldn't be a "race" to the finish, so with experienced riders taking the lead, following riders would have "some" warning of potential dangers from the "tail/brake lights" of the leaders I've done hundreds of thousands of miles in the dark, quite a lot of it on bikes with "dying glow worms" for headlamps I now really appreciate how good "modern" bike lights are, even on smaller bikes I hope I've cleared up any "mis-understandings" about what is being proposed Two entirely "separate" events were my idea We have had quite a few "positive" responses so far, so lets try to keep it "on track" around the original concept please

Update Reply
Emzed @ 16/07/2012 19:20  

As I said before emzed, its a good idea. However I will not be on this one. Good luck to all who are and ride safe

Update Reply
davidneale @ 16/07/2012 19:36  

whoa chill emzed riding at nite is more challenging than duringg the day and fatigue can and will set in more so than in daylight... everybody needs to be aware as it is potentially more dangerous.. theres a lot more to think about when in the dark literally... i dont think anyone is criticising your idea.. just be realistic

Update Reply
spaceboy4 @ 16/07/2012 19:37  

may i just say,i'm up for it ,but if we get a full moon come out,cannot be held responsible for actions;i used to be a werewolf but i'm all right noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow!

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 16/07/2012 19:47  

I wondered where this thread had gone...!

I am a novice rider and would really welcome the chance to ride out, at any time but especially at night, with experienced riders... like your good selves.

It's a great idea, if it's your thing, and it is my thing so I'll look forward to it.

Keep me posted Emz

Update Reply
Eight @ 16/07/2012 20:44  

Just speaking from past experience esspique, got knocked of my bike in winter, riding home from work, driver said she didnt see me, It hasn't put me off though. That was back in 1995

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/07/2012 21:26  

Well I'm still up for it, I've been going at night on various bikes since I was 16 and I'm still here, mostly in one piece. When a bikes your only form of transport and you have to go somewhere in the dark then you just get out there and do it with no more thought than if you were going out at night in a car. I'll just have to remember to bring some silver bullets along in case Jinx gets out of hand

Update Reply
centurion @ 16/07/2012 21:55  

It's alright, Centurion, I'll set Claude on him

Update Reply
Eight @ 16/07/2012 21:58  

might i ask just how many miles we anticipate to cover.... ? 200 300 400 more
sounds like fun anyway

Update Reply
spaceboy4 @ 16/07/2012 22:37  

PM sent spaceboy4

Update Reply
Emzed @ 16/07/2012 23:22  

Here is the "bulk" of the PM I sent to spaceboy4 Which may interest some more of you ? > I don't have a "specific" total mileage in mind Personally I don't mind if its 30 or 300 I had thought 30 to 40 for the novices first time out, just to give them a taste But for the more experienced, on the longer ride, I rather think it would depend on the location of those wanting to be on it and then working out a route which would pick them up along the way (as cavywavy demonstrated in another thread with a "Google map" of the route so folks could see their nearest "pick up point") So some would obviously end up riding further than others but I hadn't thought that far ahead yet As I said in the forum I just wanted an idea as to whether anyone else was "into it" I personally love night riding, have done since my elder brother introduced me to it nearly 50 years ago We would set off in the "early hours" and go up to the Lake District and set up camp as it was getting light Of course there was even LESS traffic on the road then but these days, apart from a few "idiots" (who are still around in daylight too but not as conspicuous) mainly "professional" drivers are around at night I do know what I'm doing with this one, regarding people's ability to concentrate, deal with the temperature drop and overall fatigue But as a 1st exercise maybe a 100 mile trip would be a good "baptism" for "intermediate" riders such as Eight < I hope that makes it a little more "attractive" to some of you ? Thanks to those who have already expressed an interest or a desire to join in I am really looking forward to this and I will try to come up with suitable routes for both proposed rides as soon as I can, so please bear with me

Update Reply
Emzed @ 18/07/2012 02:07  

Count me in. Since I was 18 I have LOVED taking the bike out in wee small hours onto nearly empty roads and just rolling along,watching sun come up,you are where you want to be before a lot of people even get up.Just make sure tank absolutely full,not so many all-night filling stations off motorways.Was a taxi-driver for 7 years,90% night drivers are professionals.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/07/2012 23:24  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email