MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle Events & Rides Out

Scots borders camping weekend 24-27 Aug -CANCELLED

Scots borders camping weekend 24-27 Aug -CANCELLED - Forums [Biker Match] Scots borders camping weekend 24-27 Aug -CANCELLED - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle Events & Rides Out /

Scots borders camping weekend 24-27 Aug -CANCELLED

Ride out to St Mary's Loch As the Scottish & English meet up at Hartside went so well I wondered if anyone would be interested in another wee get together? St Mary's Loch is the largest natural loch in the Scottish Borders, and is situated on the A708 between Selkirk and Moffat, about 45 miles south of Edinburgh, it was created by glacial action during the last ice age. The loch takes its name from a church dedicated to St Mary which once stood on its northern shore, although only the burial ground is now visible. Local legend has it that the loch has no bottom, and it is reputed to be the coldest loch in Scotland. Tibbie Shiel's Inn, is situated by the loch, an 18th-century coaching inn, bar meals are available. The road is well used by bikers, it's a lovely ride. To give an idea from Tibbie Shiel's Inn relating to distances Carlisle 56 miles Ayr, South Ayrshire 81 miles Glasgow 74 miles Edinburgh 43 miles Carlisle 56 miles Newcastle 92 miles Leeds 172 miles all mileage approximate Meet up points in various areas can be arranged. I thought sometime during August would good, perhaps Sunday 19th or 26th. Can you let me know what your thoughts are and if you fancy it?

Update Reply
BOBKAT @ 24/06/2012 14:58  

count me in ...could hop over for the day or maybe combine it with a couple nights camping somewhere.

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 25/06/2012 12:28  

I see from the pub's website they do camping there:
http://tibbieshiels.com/

Update Reply
Wills @ 25/06/2012 17:35  

Just checked it out, Wills - awesome, I'm sold! Good point is they have fire pits (just as well, as bar food prices aren't cheap!) But note, u do have to book a pitch. So, travel up fri evening, and pitch. Sample the pubs beer. Ride out on the sat. Back to the inn for a bbq for tea, followed by a sherbert in the pub. Sunday -late brekkie, then home. Wotja say?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/06/2012 18:35  

I'm committed the weekend of the 19th... and the following week I was supposed to riding my bike up to "Thunder In The Glen"... Laugh my ass off!!!!!!!! Would come home in a bodybag.. But.. have said that if I can progress safely in riding skill.. I will still have a wee holiday in the Borders with David and Minx... so this could be doable the following weekend and it did get me a little on the excited side seeing it... But it would have to be the following weekend for me and can't promise right at this second.. although.. I really really want toooo....

Update Reply
rockchickeelicious @ 25/06/2012 19:30  

So.. just to clarify.. in a nutshell... Lush lush lush Idea... and I'm a "potential maybe" xxxx

Update Reply
rockchickeelicious @ 25/06/2012 19:31  

I have asked for this thread to be deleted, as I won't be able to continue the organising of it. It's open to anyone who wants to take it on. This will be left on for a few days then deleted.

Update Reply
BOBKAT @ 25/06/2012 20:56  

Moffat has a biker hotel , as in , a hotel for bikers . They have a high walled and locked parking area . Each room is available with it's own padlocked bike garage . Good food too . I'll see if I can dig out the www. Some great ride outs in the area . Dusty

Update Reply
dustin666 @ 29/06/2012 19:58  

Actually BobKat.. I'm kinda gutted now that it's not happening... Hunny xxxx

Update Reply
rockchickeelicious @ 29/06/2012 20:04  

think you might find this is the one! http://www.buccleucharmshotel.com/

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 29/06/2012 20:04  

you take over the organising then Rockchick

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 29/06/2012 20:06  

Lmao Kwakgirl!! I didn't even know the North East had somewhere called "Weardale".. Scotland.. omgiddyaunt lol... Bless you though.. shall take it as a vote of confidence

Update Reply
rockchickeelicious @ 29/06/2012 20:11  

www. Motorcyclescotland.com
the Buccleugh arms hotel . The Guy that owns it (a yank)is a biker , really chatty in an ok sort of way . They have little maps printed of good rides on the area.
From Moffat to Selkirk there's a few timber wagons on the road plus the obligatory sheep . But gorgeous scenery . There's a cafe at St Mary''s as well as the boozer.

Update Reply
dustin666 @ 29/06/2012 20:14  

lol @ RC sure its only up the road some! lol maybe we should ask Dusty...he seems keen!

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 29/06/2012 21:55  

maybe we should ask Dusty what ?

Update Reply
dustin666 @ 01/07/2012 20:49  

haha....feck lad took ya long enough to bite! to organise this trip that Bobkat cant do now.

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 01/07/2012 21:57  

ok then , who's up for the friday 24th August till sunday 26th August . I would recommend carlisle ~ moffat ( on the pre motorway B7076, the old A74' ) ~St Mary's . The eastern (SELKIRK) end of the glen is better going up than down (steep and lots of sheep) return from SELKIRK ~ A7 HAWICK,pronounced HOYK. Big Sainsburys in Hawick~Langholm ~Carlisle . Saturday rideout to be arranged .

Update Reply
dustin666 @ 01/07/2012 22:01  

There's a 'road' running due west from St Mary's Loch going over the Tweedsmuir Hills which looks... erm...interesting. Wotja reckon, Debs?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/07/2012 22:34  

All of this weekend will be done on 'A' roads should any L platers wish to come .
Jct 43 Carlisle M6 200yds a large tesco fuel +cafe. Visible from the roundabout.
Jct 44 a large Asda (signed workington) 300yds.
I'll sort out the camping at st Mary's

Update Reply
dustin666 @ 01/07/2012 22:47  

Mind your midge repellent

Update Reply
madscots @ 01/07/2012 23:32  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email