MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Back on a Bike

Back on a Bike (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Back on a Bike (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Back on a Bike

Congratulations Jaybird and well done, you just need to get out and about on it, no hurry.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/06/2012 23:46  

Hey hazelnut & jaybird. I was chatting to my instructor today about my comical mishap last week when I dropped my bike. Fortunately I got loads of help to get her back up again which was lucky cos I really was in the middle of nowhere and riding on my own. I said to him there was no way I could pick it up on my own He showed me how to do it: You have to turn the handlebars on full lock to the opposite side to the side it fell on....I dropped mine on the left so turn the bars as far as they will go to the right Holding the wheel in that position, you can push the handlebars away from you....they are almost in alignment with the bike. Line yourself up so the front of your body is against the side of the bike, then bend at the knee and get your knee under the tank and use your right knee to start levering it upwards a bit. Then as it starts moving up you straighten your leg and start walking towards your bike and it will go upright He demonstrated this then got me doing it....I'm 5' 0" (although the nurse at the surgery says I'm 4' 11" but I don't believe her!). I'm not actually a granny (thank god!) but could very easily be...almost old enough to be a great granny lol Really useful for me cos I ride a lot on my own in very isolated places, and was a tad anxious about what if..... Enjoy your bike jaybird

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 06/06/2012 00:05  

Hey Minnie, great advice there, not sure I'd remember in a crisis, not that I want there to be one.... couldnt even pick her up from a three quarter slant in my garage. That was when I thought she was out of gear and let clutch go and she lurched into the pile of junk that was in there ...well ok, the tumble drier wasnt a pile of junk before .... lol And Jaybird, despite that Chris (CW) sold you my Virago in Wales, (even though it wasnt for sale ) I think I did mention that there are Virago 250s out there that would be a good starter bike for you, as you were comfy on my 535 so glad to hear you've got started.... now I'm thinking of something a little niftier now ... something affordable, as I dont want to get rid of my old faithful, after all she does get lots of admiring looks.... if only from grandads

Update Reply
suzyamki @ 06/06/2012 00:34  

That's great news! get out and enjoy :)

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 06/06/2012 06:41  

Ah, interesting. The Virago was mentioned to me by a few people. But then a few other people laughed at it. I think it looks quite nice!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/06/2012 06:52  

As I posted earlier for Jaybird THE most important thing is that YOU feel comfortable on/with the bike Bugger what other people think/say it's YOUR choice It has more to do with your overall confidence in the machine, this comes from :- The fact that you can get BOTH feet on the ground That you feel you can manage the weight That it suits your budget That YOU like the way it looks After all it would be a VERY boring biking scene if we all liked the SAME bike Go for it if you fancy one, whatever gets you out there and joining us Best of luck ChilliD Em

Update Reply
Emzed @ 06/06/2012 09:06  

watching all this info with interest as I am now looking around for a bike.
I'm just slightly taller at 5Ɗ and weigh in at 8 and 1/2 stone
Taking my test later this year but i suppose I should be sensible and start with a 125 until more confident

thanks to all of you for tips and advice

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/06/2012 09:58  

Emzed. You're right. I will be buying a bike that i like, can handle the weight of, and hold it up. And one that feels comfortable for me. I'm not set on anything in particular at the moment, as i need to see how a bike feels. When i did my CBT i thought a 125 was big! Then when i started my DAS i thought the 500 was big. But now i have more confidence, i think the 500 is lacking a bit poke! Lol. We shall see, and i'll let you know what i get. Depends on me budget, which depends on house purchase!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/06/2012 10:26  

And I have to say, I do love my Virago. Even though I could do with a bit more oomph at times, generally my bike is my friend, is comfy all day, does what I want and need her to do and I will defend her to the hilt if anyone says anything against her

Update Reply
suzyamki @ 06/06/2012 12:47  

I'm assuming I'm gonna be looking for another cruiser when I get my full license. I've heard all those comments about viragos & cruisers in general too, and I know I can have virtually any bike lowered and adapted to suit me, if that's what I want But I adore my baby suzuki 125 cruiser-she really is my fourth child, and like suzyamki, I would turn into a rabid rotweiller if anyone says anything nasty about her. I can ride all day (and I don't half cover some miles these days) and it's so bloomin comfy. No hurty botty, no aching shoulders cos the riding position is perfect for me. The low centre of gravity is great for someone so short and not that physically strong Just wish I didn't get battered with so much wind when I'm doing 60 /70 but when I get the next bike, I'll make sure I have a screen It really is horses for courses...we are all different

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 06/06/2012 13:24  

I was around the race-tracks for years Minnie, but my road bikes were always road type. Not cruiser, but that was purely a style thing. I can't see the point in race-rep's. But that's personal as-well I suppose.

Update Reply
invalid characters @ 06/06/2012 13:41  

Too true LTGR Quite right Minnie, sticking to what you know and are "comfy" with is definitely the best way to be In time, when finances allow, you may want to upgrade to a more powerful or newer model but " horses for courses" indeed I'd be tempted to bet my pension that you cover more miles (in all weathers) in a month, than the majority of those "Plastic Crotch Rocket" "weekend hooligans" do in a year And leave a MUCH better impression on "Joe public" and car drivers Use & waste a lot less valuable fossil fuel too Here follows a tip for ALL learner/small bike riders :- You are quite right about the screen though, I put one on the little Yam last year, after riding it for a few months without 1 I not only noticed better "comfort" at speed but also gained better MPG and faster acceleration (a real bonus on a little bike) It has repaid the £40 investment handsomely Well worth considering one even for your current bike Minnie, you can always take it off and fit it to your next bike Keep on keeping on Minnie, I like the way you persevere and are always willing to learn

Update Reply
Emzed @ 06/06/2012 14:11  

I've been looking at a Virago 250 today and loved it. Just a bit bigger than my 125. I have had my mind set on a 535 WHEN (positive thinking) I pass my test but now thinking I'd feel better going up just a bit to get more confidence rather than make a big jump and get all nervous again

Update Reply
HippyRockChick @ 06/06/2012 17:44  

Aren't us girlies peculiar HRC?...is it just me and you, or are female learners/ returners of a certain age prone generally to having their hard-earned confidence eroded so easily? It's just so damn fragile isn't it? Can't wait to be blasting out the bugle WHEN I pass too...me and you will do some serious celebrating cos we've travelled a wobbly, comical and sometimes tearful, virtual road together hunni haven't we

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 06/06/2012 19:31  

Minnie, the champagne will be flowing WHEN we pass

Update Reply
HippyRockChick @ 06/06/2012 20:03  

Listen girls, the hoops you have to jump through these days are not of your doing (or anyone sensible's at all) When "they" make it more difficult to get through your test, or even make it hard to have modifications to your bike they should be looking at applying the same rules to new car drivers at the very least... and should be built into general driving test some real bike awareness... but thats for another thread ... HRC you do what you feel comfortable with, but from my point of view I went from a Suzuki Marauder 125 and easily made the transition to my Virago 535 and at my age too (**) !!! and didn't regret it, think it would have been money wasted on a lesser model ie the 250 as i would have wanted more. The 535 is never going to run away with you but IS a trusty steed, can cruise all day at 80 without complaint, can go up to a ton, is a mega comfortable riding position, CAN corner and provides hours of fun !!! OK it can't keep up with the sporty models but so what!! There's no shame in not wanting to have the latest fastest bike on the planet, and some of us like the V twin. You have to refuel fairly often so no long distance riding without planning your petrol stations. But all in all, its a great bike. Ive had mine for 4 years now and she is not going anywhere without me for the immediate future. Aw, I'm so sentimental now I think I'll go give her a pat on the tank and tell her how much I luvs her

Update Reply
suzyamki @ 07/06/2012 01:03  

I agree with suzyamki, you may aswell save money and go straight for the 535. Don't let the thought of going from 125cc to 500cc scare you. The virago is not a sports bike and wont leave you hanging on for grim death when it accellerates. It's low on power but has loads of torque. Which means there's no sudden power band but it pulls away at a constant rate. It is what it says on the tin. A cruiser. great for all day riding gets you about quickly without going daft. Just one thing I found out from owning mine is it benefits from a screen. That open riding position leaves you open to the wind and rain especially on motorways. I miss mine but the garage is full

Update Reply
Vladamir @ 07/06/2012 10:34  

Loads of really useful stuff here for us ladies on the brink of moving up to the next one. HRC, have you placed your posterior on a 535 sweetie?.... seek one out and have a sit on it and see what you think before you make your decision. I was surprised at how the weight felt fine and easy to balance to me.... and I'm shorter and more wimpy than you Here's an idea if one of your bigger bike owning mates is prepared to co-operate.... Years ago my ex-husband and me used to mess around with me riding his bike with him pillion "being my legs", cos I couldn't touch the ground lol....but it allowed me to get a feel for operating the clutch, gears & brakes on a 650. And remembering how much fun that was has diffused some of my big bike anxiety We did that on a quiet, private road....but of course YOU and ME, and the other chicks WILL have full licenses soon won't we

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 07/06/2012 11:10  

All this advice is fantastic, thank you

I've seen and sat on a couple of 535s recently and loved them and was all for definitely getting one until I found the 250 and sat on that. It felt just like my 125 and being of a slightly nervous disposition I've now got the feeling just to go up by babysteps and maybe in 6 months or a year I'll be more than happy to get a 535, and although it may seem like a waste of money, I'd rather feel safe and comfortable and if it gets me to where I want to be, both in destinations and riding experience, then I can live with that.

I'm more a tortoise than a hare, I'm happy getting to places at my own pace, not interested in being a speed freak but I know I need more ooomph to get me out of situations than I have with the 125

I'm not going to be rushing into anything either, all options will be carefully considered

Update Reply
HippyRockChick @ 07/06/2012 14:37  

The most important thing with any bike is that your happy with it.

Update Reply
Vladamir @ 07/06/2012 15:43  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email