MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Back on a Bike

Back on a Bike - Forums [Biker Match] Back on a Bike - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Back on a Bike

Anyone got any recommendations for a suitable bike for a vertically challenged Grandma who wants to get back into bikes. She has got fed up with sitting in traffic, and wants to bring some fun back into driving and going places., but is unlikely to use the bike for touring or long distance. She has a full licence, but hasn't ridden for years. She thinks she wants a 250cc, but everyone we have talked to is recommenditing a 500cc at least. The bike has to have a low seat, as she is short in the leg Any ideas folks.

Update Reply
kcsdata @ 30/05/2012 23:24  

ER5 lowered-not much poke but ahem bounce well when dropped... I'm 5Ɖ with a 29" leg and 6 stones and erm manage to pick her up well enough even if i cant stop her from ahem falling over

Very forgiving, virtually unbreakable, cheap to insure and mine cost me £995... 0 years no claims and £6 a month to insure...most a tank has cost me is £14 and get around 150 miles to a tank :-)

And VERY good fun up to about 70 when the windblast gets a bit much for me...had a bandit 400 and a cbr400 and hav to admit i love my kwak the best

Update Reply
mizzi @ 30/05/2012 23:30  

Thank you Mizzi! That's one of the ones that's been suggested to me and it's good to have it confirmed from someone who knows. You're a good deal smaller than I am, I think, so if you can ride it I should be ok. And I like the sound of the price especially!

I'll keep you posted!

Update Reply
Jaybird @ 30/05/2012 23:40  

I shall watch this for recommendations, as i hope to get a bike soon. I too am a shortie. I can barely tiptoe on either side on a ER6 at the training school. I'm learning on a GS500 which physically seems a suitable size.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 31/05/2012 08:17  

if you could find one in decent nick and low mileage,moto guzzi v50/v35/v65 custom,or normal version just as easy,very light ,brakes to stop on a penny safe handling,very cheap to run.or current cb250 naked honda ,bullet proof.

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 31/05/2012 17:51  

Er5 for sale, on an 04 if your interested, rides like brand new, ticks all the boxes for selling and its very low and light.

Update Reply
Laffo @ 31/05/2012 20:13  

The make/brand isn't important as "most" modern bikes (21st cent) are very reliable The main thing is comfort and confidence You can always upgrade when you feel you have "outgrown" the bike As long as you can get at least 1 foot flat to the ground then you're off to a good start My advice is try out a few bikes before you committ I'm sure many members on here would let you try their bike (stationary) for size/feel Best of luck with your return to the real world Welcome HOME

Update Reply
Emzed @ 31/05/2012 21:20  

Thanks guys - all really useful stuff. Certainly I'll be trying everything I possibly can before buying, and all offers of a bike to sit on will be gratefully received!

Personally, at my present state of confidence, I think I shall need to get both feet flat on the floor, but it'll mainly be down to comfort and just feeling right. And price is a big factor too, of course.

Update Reply
Jaybird @ 31/05/2012 22:18  

Ducati monster is a low seating position, and the option to drop the suspension linkages is cheap and easy. My friend marie did hers.

Update Reply
GreyGra @ 01/06/2012 23:01  

I found the monster a bit heavy ...
Jaybird - you should have thrown your leg over my hornet in Wales. .... Can't see any one of us objecting to you trying ours out for size - and pumping us for info on how not to go about 'parking' it (ahem, lol @ mizzi).
What Mizzi says is spot on - you will probably drop it (my bobbins have all the evidence of lack in skill you need) so buy something you don't mind that happening too until you get your 'legs' back.
MCN website have reviews on bikes - kerb weight, seat height etc. I found this very useful when even trying to make my mind up what to test ride
Have fun and good luck. X

Update Reply
Riggy66 @ 01/06/2012 23:15  

As Jaybird said Gra, price will be a factor Although she may pick up a nice Monster fairly cheap Servicing a Ducati don't come cheap if you can't DIY or don't know someone who can I'd advise against it as a starter bike (even as a Ducatisti ) but that's just my opinion But as always it's down to PERSONAL choice However all suggestions should be considered Im sure the lady will make a sensible choice After all she has no shortage of helpful experienced riders on, and off here, of both genders, to offer advise and encouragement

Update Reply
Emzed @ 01/06/2012 23:24  

The Yamaha Virago series have very low seats, and comfy. Could start with the 250cc and progress to the 535cc. These are lightweight cruisers.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/06/2012 10:16  

I'd recommend the virago 535. Had one myself. Only reason I sold it was because I do a lot of long rides and the tank has a 110ml capacity. which is a pain if you are doing in excess of 300 mls a day It has a very low seat & easy to ride and easy maintanance, If you get one pre 1998 you can get cheap classic insurance. Top speed is about 100 mph but it's quite happy doing 80 all day.

Update Reply
Vladamir @ 05/06/2012 12:33  

I'm a shorty and I've sat on a virago 535 and very comfy and 'just right' it felt too...could quite happily have just let the clutch out and.... They've got a reputation for being bomb proof and spares are easy cos they've been around forever Definitely on my shopping list when I pass my test

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 05/06/2012 13:20  

Shafty too, so no messy chains Good suggestion XK & Vlad

Update Reply
Emzed @ 05/06/2012 13:21  

Virago is a perfectly good bike if you like that sort of riding position. the SV650 and the ER5 and ER6 you can get the seat lowered very easily if you prefer something a bit more "sporty" My zx7r is pretty low too....they are 10 a penny on ebay you could probably pick one up for less than 1500 quid.....its great fun for a granny to ride gets lots of fly comments from the young uns! (i speak from experience)

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 05/06/2012 16:56  

Ive had a gpz 400 in the past was really sporty if you like the position. Then I had a ER5 which was lovely but I lost confidence for various reasons and sold her. Then after 10 yrs of no riding solo I had a 125 Yam SR which was ace for building up confidence I could manover , once I got my confidence I bought my gorgeous Honda Hornet 250 which whilst it is a 250 redlines at 16 rpm so goes like a bullet if you need or want to. I had the seat lowered (i'm 5ft 2in and 8 st). To be honest i think I would have a prob if and when I drop her to pick her back up. But Im sure id give it a blooming ggod go I love my bike and thats what matters . You do need to try a few, I also liked the GS 500 I was able to get both feet down. But I have always wanted a 250 hornet since passing my test 16 years ago. For now Im a happy bunny Good luck babes and happy happy riding

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/06/2012 17:57  

OK guys, so what did I do? Put a 'holding' bid on a Virago 250 just to gauge interest and ended up buying it! So there we are, the deed is done!

It's an R reg (1997) and pretty clean. AND I can get both feet flat on the floor, which is pretty much what I need at this stage. It needs the bars changed back to the originals and a rather taste-free 'V' removed from the tank but otherwise not much to do. As I think kcsdata might agree. Now all I need to do is get up the courage to try it out (it is raining after all!) and figure out how to get it 150 miles back to Bedford. Anyone fancy a very slow ride- out?

Thanks for all the advice and watch this space!

Update Reply
Jaybird @ 05/06/2012 19:34  

Wonderful news Jaybird You're obviously happy with your choice and that's the main thing I shall look forward to seeing your progress Enjoy enjoy enjoy

Update Reply
Emzed @ 05/06/2012 20:13  

I have got one of those XV250s Yammies I use around town. Not a bad little bike but too low for me. For anyone who needs a low ride and on a restricted licence it is ideal. They are quite light, as I believe it is the same chassis for the 125 but a lot more grunt. Mine is up for grabs.

Update Reply
davidneale @ 05/06/2012 23:21  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email