MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Fjr1300 maxton shocks

Fjr1300 maxton shocks - Forums [Biker Match] Fjr1300 maxton shocks - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Fjr1300 maxton shocks

My fjr has maxton rear shock & maxton front fork internals..When Im two up suspension is much better..but I tend to ride solo..front end is bouncy & I feel every bump...I cant refer to yamaha manual as its not yamaha suspension. Ive tried contacting Maxton they want a lot of money to service & set up shocks..can anyone help please thanks x

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 28/03/2012 08:28  

http://www.fjfjrbiker.co.uk/ Join the forum and ask the question there, sure you will get loads of reply`s, Steve

Update Reply
trainrobber @ 28/03/2012 09:31  

Suspension can be a bit of a black art. I think the basics need to be checked first. Static sag on both the front and rear units need to be checked. Then you can look at the damping settings. But always remember when adjusting these, make a note of the original settings before adjusting.
Maybe the original owner always rode with a pilly, so there might be too much preload on the rear shock.

Update Reply
SPESH @ 28/03/2012 15:19  

agree with Spesh. You'll have to play about and do it by trial and error. you'll find loads of help on you tube about how to do it and what you should be measuring then altering. You'll find the bike is 10 x better if its set up for your weight and riding style.

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 28/03/2012 20:40  

Thanks Spesh & Kwakgirl much appreciated..will have to find someone to help as shes too heavy to maul around myself...any offers of help will be much appreciated!! thanks

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 28/03/2012 22:31  

Pm sent...

Update Reply
Laffo @ 29/03/2012 00:08  

Maxton are very good. I had Maxton front and rear on my VTR and it handled amazingly. So when I bought the CB and found the front end a bit "squidgy" I took it there and they fitted completely new internals and it has been excellent ever since.

However, when you go there for any work like this they ask you very specific questions; how you tend to ride, what the main uses of the bike will be, whether you will be principally solo or if you will be taking pillions regularly etc.

And then from this they build suspension accordingly for you.

As such Rose, the fact that you are riding a touring bike with Maxton suspension that works better two up suggests to me that the suspension has been built specifically for two up use.

As such you may be able to back off the preload sufficiently to compensate, but you may find that what you really need is a lighter spring.

I'd be tempted to ring Maxton, ask to speak to Richard and explain the situation to him. If it was done not too long ago, it may be that they still have a copy of the spec sheet and he will be able to advise you what you should consider doing.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 03/04/2012 14:24  

Thanks Geoff..that was very useful..will give Richard a ring..hope to see you & Rach again soon!! Been a long time since our paths crossed!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/04/2012 14:52  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email