MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Clutch / Idle / Backfire ER5 problem!

Clutch / Idle / Backfire ER5 problem! - Forums [Biker Match] Clutch / Idle / Backfire ER5 problem! - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Clutch / Idle / Backfire ER5 problem!

Love her to bits when she plays nicely but when she doesn't she really doesn't. Loveley evening in the week, so wanted to go for a ride after work... ran her with the choke for a few minutes, while I geared up, started to reduce it, and the revs started to get lumpy, bouncing up and down. Let her run a bit longer knowing that if I try to ride at this point as soon as I let the clutch out she'll just die on me. The idle settled so I got her upright and it gets lumpy again, put a bit more choke back on, idle races but settles, take it back off (about a 3rd off at this point). Put her in gear to go but as I let the clutch out the revs drop to point of cutting out. She can be kept going at this point but only if I rev and declutch rapidly.I tried letting her just sit idling for a little while, I tried plenty of throttle, I played with the choke. After about 10mins I gave in and put her away.She has done this to me twice before. If you can keep on with no lights, roundabout etc it seems to just clear the system, but if you get stuck before then it's a dangerous game trying to balance the revs with stopping and getting moving again - not a game I really want to play on a main road.Help!! (please ) Tried to force her to run today, loads of gas but if the clutch lever is not in she just dies, no ifs ands or buts. Got housemates lad to give me hand getting her back up the drive and have called the garage but had no answer yet. I had been going to take her to the garage anyway but now I'm waiting for them... gutted.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/03/2012 11:33  

this isnt going to sound very helpful, but it could be anything :(

over what period has this been happening? is it just recently - has it been stood around ie.. has it got old petrol in it..

when was it last serviced.. how old are the spark plugs?

it now dies when you let the clutch out? is that with it in gear or neutral?

hope the garage gets back to you soon..

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/03/2012 13:46  

Yeah... Garage didn't get back to me, someone else did, their solution worked perfectly... operator error! Please don't ask...!! lmao Thank-you though.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/03/2012 19:45  

oh go on, you can tell us..

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/03/2012 20:12  

Was gonna write here but wrong post and cant clear it.

Update Reply
harry worth @ 17/03/2012 20:29  

Please tell us Loobylou77. I won't be able to sleep otherwise. We are listening because we don't want to make the same mistake do we

Update Reply
davidneale @ 17/03/2012 21:02  

Hope its not yer clutch looby ,if not its carbs or petrol feed or did ya put diesel in it lol [only joking] take hand brake off , yep slap me x

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/03/2012 21:35  

We're all waiting?? my money's on 'fuel switched off' we've all done it!!!

Update Reply
geebster @ 17/03/2012 21:35  

You dont get your fuel from morrisons do you ?

Update Reply
JP @ 17/03/2012 22:12  

Nope, not yelling!! EMDEE - consider yourself slapped. Noooo, harder than that!! Fuel was definately thanks, grebster & JP I have used Morrisons for fuel, but not recently & given the cost I use Tesco - may as welll get the points!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/03/2012 22:17  

Not telling or not yelling?

Update Reply
davidneale @ 17/03/2012 22:44  

Both! Not telling you guys & not yelling at the bike either.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/03/2012 23:37  

Update Reply
davidneale @ 17/03/2012 23:42  

Am just embarrased is all.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/03/2012 23:58  

was the side stand down

Update Reply
cw @ 18/03/2012 00:21  

No need to be embarrased. We have all done some silly things. I could give you a list for me over the years!

Update Reply
davidneale @ 18/03/2012 00:23  

like David said we all make mistakes and i've lost count off the ones i've done

Update Reply
cw @ 18/03/2012 00:34  

Side stand was up, but I've done that at Tesco after fueling twice. Too much choke, repeatedly. I'd flooded the engine... the shame.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 18/03/2012 08:22  

We've all done stupid things with fuel!! I was on the A1 north on friday, ***mph, outside lane, car started to misfire, i was out of fuel, EEEk, just passing a Texico station, managed to coast in, YeH!!! my best stupid moment on the bike was on an old cb750, filled up with fuel, jumped on the bike, no problems..............................arrived at Kent custom show, went to put my feet down and the kickstart was up the leg of my jeans, fell over, God that hurt, 2 up with luggage

Update Reply
geebster @ 18/03/2012 09:35  

One of those occasions where you are glad no on had it on camera ay geebster I think we all have flooded our engines at some point by forgetting to take the choke off, it's nothing to be embarrased about. Thanks for sharing Loobylou. I can go to sleep now!

Update Reply
davidneale @ 18/03/2012 10:03  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email