MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Someone Special

Someone Special - Forums [Biker Match] Someone Special - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Someone Special

At some point in life, everyone has had someone special cross their path and received help in the form of information, wisdom, skill, friendship. All of which was given without expectation of remuneration or returned favour.

That someone for me was a man called Lee. Some people walk the earth brimming with a wealth of skill and knowledge acquired over a life time. Lee is one of those people. He can build a motorbike from the ground up and so much more. Hes been there and done it. He would be horrified if he knew i was writing about him. He is modest, a loner. But he deserves words.

Lee is suffering ill health and financial difficulties. Despite his suffering he continues to help bikers of all ages and level of experience. Tapping into his knowledge is like opening up an encyclopedia of motorcycling.

He takes young bikers under his wing who are taking one too many risks, tightens up chains and gets the oil out over a cup of tea. Tells you what works and what does not. Where to go and where to stay well away from on the dealer and supplier front. Has the patience to teach you what you want to learn mechanically or technically. And most importantly what the best runs are and where to find them.

This is a tribute to Lee and all those individuals out there who help others and make the biking fraternity a wonderful club to belong to.

I make him cringe when i call him the "Bike Angel". His appearance is not angelic by any means, but thats exactly what he is.

Are you privileged enough to have a friend like Lee?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/03/2012 23:53  

Sounds like Tony aka Athos, a true musketeer. Rides a Bonnie. Does welding work/steel fabrication in the Farnborough area, made a heat shield for my exhaust from scratch, reformed some sheared aluminium engine mounts for me, welded ally to steel fixing a chain guard bracket on my swingarm, has done all sorts of work for others fixing this and that, or building little bits for them...and he refuses to take any money. Slightly overweight, grizzled, hairy, bearded, greying man...looks like the grumpiest mofo you could hope not to meet, but heart of solid gold.

Update Reply
SomeRandomBiker @ 03/03/2012 02:06  

Lee sounds like a fantastic person. He is obviously one of those people who gets his reward by helping others. Sometimes the pleasure is in the giving and not monetary reward, it's a pitty that there aren't more people in this world like Lee and Magneto's Tony.

Update Reply
davidneale @ 03/03/2012 06:58  

Magneto & Davidneale - thanks guys for your comments. Its amazing is it not that another individual would do all that for others and get you out of trouble and on the road and expect nothing. Leaves you feeling terrible, but they really do not wish to receive anything, makes them feel awkward. Put money in their hands and they throw it back at you.

Nice to know there is another gifted one out there in Farnborough. Lee says of himself "i am something only a mother would love" because he is not the best looking man, aging somewhat with health probs and the rest. He is always giving away. A life of biking means hes required bits and bobs for most bikes over the years. When you come away from Lee's garage its always with something whether its the value of his time, mechanics resolved or an accessory, nut or bolt, fairing for your model bike.....

Hes that good, most people who are let down by dealerships not doing the work properly end up in his garage frustrated and feed up. One lady I know ended up with a failed trip in Europe because the dealership did not secure her front brake calipers correctly. Lee stepped and sort it out. This man really is a lifesaver, has an eye for detail and keeps a lot of people smiling and safe on two wheels.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/03/2012 08:48  

Sounds a great fella and true biker

Update Reply
JP @ 03/03/2012 09:18  

He certainly is a true biker and all round good guy. We live in a world of judgementalism. It can be all too easy to judge a person by looks or circumstances. Being willing to look past the externals and take the time to know someone is the wonderful bit. What lies beneath another person.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/03/2012 10:09  

Perhaps we should visit him en masse.....give something back to him..

Update Reply
rossoandy21 @ 04/03/2012 10:26  

I was just thinking the same Andy...

Where does he live? We should arrange a meet and all arrive at his to say thank you for being such a lovely guy

Wouldn't it be awesome to have 100+ bikers roll up outside his house..haha

Maybe when its his birthday.. Ang could make a cake for him

Just think of how many more friends he would make

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 04/03/2012 10:48  

ye debs....U pinched BKs hat!!!

Update Reply
rossoandy21 @ 04/03/2012 10:57  

I would like to meet Lee for sure one day

Update Reply
davidneale @ 04/03/2012 14:08  

Lady good to here your story , as we say in london , A Diamond Geezer,

Update Reply
northlondon58 @ 04/03/2012 15:06  

Awh thank for your comments guys and gals. Unfortunately Lee has built motorbikes, in particular a chopper from nothing. It was a one-off and collectable which was stolen from his front garden. The frame was eventually found in a river in Manchester. As a result of more than one incident of theft, he became a loner. Such a shame. Its one thing to give, but taking is just not on.

However what a lovely idea to just turn up unannounced and say "hey mate, we think your fab". Probably scare him to death tho.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/03/2012 16:11  

OR show him ppl know and care ?? I see him as a true biker and if it where me ??? You and a load of bikers turn up for him that would touch my hart I would be the second there right at the back of YOU xxx

Update Reply
pedskull @ 05/03/2012 01:39  

What a lovely thread, it's nice to be told about such a selfless man.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 05/03/2012 12:05  

Many thanks Sandi and Pedskull for your great comments.

I think we should start a Tribute List for all those who help others within the biking world. It does not have to be a mechanic/electrician/bodyshop person. It may be someone within Bikermatch who helped you and made your world a better place.

In no particular order, but all important:

LEE - Surrey
TONY aka Athos - Farnborough

If you know someone, do share.

LadyWhoFlys x

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/03/2012 14:48  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email