MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle Events & Rides Out

Bike magazine's 440 ride around the UK, 5th-8th Oct

Bike magazine's 440 ride around the UK, 5th-8th Oct (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Bike magazine's 440 ride around the UK, 5th-8th Oct (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle Events & Rides Out /

Bike magazine's 440 ride around the UK, 5th-8th Oct

Me and Fraglette are thinking about doing the run too. I was thinking about doing it over two days. Fraglette is calling me a wimp lol. I judt don't fancy the idea of 440+ miles on a F650 gayduro lol

Update Reply
Phil @ 10/07/2007 09:28  

plus if you spread it over a longer time, then you can enjoy places more. I say do it over a long weekend and make it a holiday!

Update Reply
Matt @ 11/07/2007 03:46  

Bike magazine editor Karl - was suppose to call me for a few words but he has not done so - lack of interest in real bikers doing real things I guess. Shame not everyone rides the latest sports thingy. I ride for the enjoyment factor and the social life that comes with it. RIDE ON. Mike

Update Reply
Apiarist @ 04/08/2007 18:07  

Give him a couple more days and I will email him. Cheers

Update Reply
Matt @ 05/08/2007 14:58  

This event is now listed. Please add your name if you are intending to ride all or part of the run. Thanks Mike

Update Reply
Apiarist @ 22/08/2007 07:11  

Getting close to this event now folks, hope a lot are going to do it. I've uploaded the map onto the server... http://www.bikermatch.co.uk/sites/bm/events/images/Bike...%20440.pdf Add your name to the event here...http://www.bikermatch.co.uk/sites/bm/events/event_detai...vent_id=23 PM Mike for more info etc.

Update Reply
Matt @ 27/09/2007 06:50  

I phoned Mike earlier today as I am seriously thinking of doing this run (assuming the bike is sorted - thanks guys for your help so far btw). Anyone from South East ish way going to be doing it too??

Update Reply
Dulali @ 27/09/2007 07:05  

The ride is now listed in the events calendar. Check who has said they will already, and chase up a few others who are still thinking about it!! Matt will place the route map on-line later today for you download, it is 7mb, lists all the sign off points, where you need to take a photo and get a local to say you where there at that time. If the shop is closed. I will be calling them up to warn of our ride and hope they will try to stay open to their limits. I am running on the 6th starting from Peterborough. Anyone wishing to ride with me please be at the first weypoint by 7:30am it is Webbs Yamaha in Eye. I am going anticlockwise. :-) Mike

Update Reply
Apiarist @ 27/09/2007 08:16  

Map is already posted above mate, see my last post

Update Reply
Matt @ 27/09/2007 08:36  

If you are not riding the 440 here is a list of the WeyPoints. Meet up with those who are riding and help them turn round. (If you fancy the rider remember to get their number before they ride off again) 1 Webbs Yamaha Centre Eye, PE6 &UR 2 Gear 4, Market Deeping, PE6 8LD 3 Penny Garth Cafe, DL8 3RD (my lunch break) 4 Allan Jefferies, Shipley, BD17 7HB 5 Jordan Bikes, Morley, LS27 7JN 6 CMC, Nottingham, NG5 6AA 7 Robin Hood HD, NG9 2DB 8 Len Manchester, Melton Mowbury, LE13 1AE 9 HD & Buell centre, Uppingham, LE15 9RN then its back to Peterborough for a steak and chips.... Mike

Update Reply
Apiarist @ 05/10/2007 10:01  

I love biking and all the social things along-side of it. I first rode a bike at 4 years (pillion) owned my first at 16 and passed my bike test back in 1969! Since then I have ridden so many bikes that I cannot list them all by name or model, Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Triumph, BSA, Norton, Harley Davison & BMW. I have crossed continents on bikes, commuted into London in the 70’s 80’s and do now into Chelsea where I am based as a motorcycle instructor. I have been camping with all the gear and a pillion. I have also been on the race track a few times and also done a bit of off road riding. Yes I had a few scary moments, mainly in the wet, a few times with me and other road users, but now I have found a sensible frame of mind and that suits me fine. When I first read about the Bike magazine test route covering 440 miles in the UK, I thought ‘so what’ I have done bigger longer days in Europe, but I can see that UK roads are not the same for loads of reasons. So it is a challenge to rider and bike. Well I have accepted that challenge and will be doing my Bike 440 on Saturday 6th and signature as proof of my visit. The first one will be closed when I start 7am, but I will get a passer by to photograph me and then tOctober starting from Peterborough and following the route anti-clockwise. At each check point (which is a bike shop) I will seek the shop’s stamp ext it as a record. Bike magazine www.bikemagazi...UP> has a web site where they record the names and bikes of those who have done the 440, I wish to join that roll. WILL YOU HELP ME? I need a big push to get me all the way round in a good time, IE a day. HOW? What about a little sponsor ship for two charities that have touched me in recent years. NABD <FON...UP> National Association for Bikers with Disabilities. They help modify bikes for use by those with out the normal limb and / or digit count, etc. Knowing some bikers who ride thanks to NABD and having been camping with them too I know how they can share the freedom of the road. The other charity is the Starlight Foundation <FON...UP> helping children who are seriously or terminally ill. You decide if you want to pitch in with a 1p per mile or more. A round sum is just as welcome too! Alternatively call me while I am riding, I will have my phone and Bluetooth helmet charged to start the day, and spur me on for a few more miles. Once it is all over I will post pictures and a few words to my own web site and up to Bike magazine too. Send your sponsorship donations to me here and they will be listed and accounted in the full report. I am sorry if my asking has offended you, let’s stay in touch anyway. Also if you want to use my ride to collect a bit from work mates or the gang in the pub, I am not proud. Thanks – hoping for a good ride.

Update Reply
Apiarist @ 05/10/2007 10:04  

Sorry Mike I meant to post earlier. I hope it's all going well and you get plenty of support, and loadsa sponsorship dosh, on your travels If you manage to get some pics submit them to the events page please? Well done Mike, and all those who took part you're all s

Update Reply
Sandi @ 06/10/2007 21:00  

So how did you all get on, then?

Update Reply
Wills @ 09/10/2007 06:26  

600+ miles on the day. Bike 440 in 9.5 hours of riding. Have posted some pictures in the events section. More notes coming. Mike

Update Reply
Apiarist @ 09/10/2007 17:26  

Well done fella to you and those who did the 440. You gonna send off for your T-shirt now?

Update Reply
Blueboy955i @ 09/10/2007 17:29  

Yes - I have sent my details off to Bike Magazine. Karl was our contact lets hope he puts ina good word. Shall we paln to do it again next year? Shall I plan and propose a number of other ride-outs for 2008? Mike

Update Reply
Apiarist @ 16/10/2007 15:53  

This all-nighter was cancelled this year for various reasons, but it's on again for next year. Any interest? Entries usually open about March. http://www.nationalroadrally.co.uk/2007/index.htm

Update Reply
Wills @ 16/10/2007 16:12  

ill try and get back for some next year. Been a bit tough these last few months, cos ive just emigrated, just got a new job, been hosue hunting etc too. But next year i should be ok cos ill be more settled and should be able to make it back some more. So everyone feel free to organise what you can, and ill just turn up at some and surprise you all

Update Reply
Matt @ 17/10/2007 06:55  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email