MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Fork Spring / oil change

Fork Spring / oil change  - Forums [Biker Match] Fork Spring / oil change  - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Fork Spring / oil change

Hi Techno Peeples, Stupid question probably - I was thinking about changing the fork springs and oil in my SV as they are a bit soft , but ... ... does anyone know if this can be done with the forks in situ, or do I HAVE to remove the forks from the bike ? I have a siphon so I could siphon the old oil out - just dont fancy removing wheel / brakes / forks (never done that bit!!) Thanks for your help as always :-) Chris

Update Reply
chris.sheridan @ 31/01/2012 12:15  

Hi Chris, you can replace the fork springs with the forks in situ, but to replace the oil you need to remove the fork. As you need to invert and pump the fork to remove all the old oil from the fork. Hope this helps.

Update Reply
SPESH @ 31/01/2012 12:34  

ye drop the forks then they can be inspected and cleaned... good luck mate kevkool

Update Reply
spaceboy4 @ 31/01/2012 18:24  

Thanks guys - forks out it is !

Update Reply
chris.sheridan @ 31/01/2012 20:33  

Bit late to the party here, but yeah, forks out,

I've swapped the springs with the forks in before and (being a smartarse) figured I could syphon the old oil out... In theory, yes, in practice.. Stupid idea! *oops*

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 31/01/2012 22:02  

Thanks for the confirmation jools ! ;-)

Update Reply
chris.sheridan @ 31/01/2012 22:24  

As they say defo forks out, if you are replacing springs with a progressive type the amount of oil may need to be measured as a distance from top of compressed leg rather than a volume poured in, so leg will need to be vertical.

Update Reply
harry worth @ 01/02/2012 21:40  

if you are using progressive springs it may be worth using a thicker oil too. i put hagon progresive springs, thicker oil and a bit more of it in the xj and it made a helluva improvement. still corners like a four poster bed but it's better than the pig on stilts it used to resemble.

Update Reply
xj @ 01/02/2012 22:42  

oh yes and deffo forks out, it is so much easier.

Update Reply
xj @ 01/02/2012 22:43  

I went the other way xj, when i put progressive springs in the Raptor i used a lighter (2.5w) oil and it transformed the bike for the better. I suppose it depends on what you're going from, and what you're looking for.

Update Reply
Weirdoraptor @ 02/02/2012 00:39  

Progg springs and lighter oil in zzr, lighter oil transfers better in the valving.

Update Reply
harry worth @ 02/02/2012 19:30  

What about uprated springs with standard fork oil ? Does that work, or do I need to put heavier oil in also ?

Update Reply
chris.sheridan @ 02/02/2012 21:59  

For my tuppence, I believe it is dependant upon what was happening before, ie does it need this or just originals replaced.....weight etc....some bikes handle perfect as standard but obviously springs do wear out as it gets used more and the oil deteriorates.....

I know guys saying I need to change springs but all that it required was a change of oil and it was fine....

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/02/2012 15:55  

Not aquainted with that paticular bike but dont remember seeing a bike without oil drain plugs in the bottom of forks.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 11/03/2012 09:14  

I remember when bikes used to have little drain screws at the bottom of the forks!

You can still drain the forks without removing them Chris ... you just need to turn the bike upside down and shake it a bit!!

On another note (and a serious one) when Maxton did my forks, I was interested to learn that they no longer fit progressive springs! And when Firefox serviced them for me, they said the same thing.

What I was told was that with progressive springs the soft part of the spring is immediately taken up and becomes coil bound as soon as you sit on the bike, effectively reducing the length of active spring.

And I was also told that as the springs compress the resistance rises at an increasing rate and as such any spring is naturally "progressive" anyway. But that with a constant rate spring this progressive resistance acts over the full spring length.

Indeed Maxton replaced the cartridges and shim stacks in my forks for ones better suited to me and my style of riding, fitted lighter oil rather than heavier, which they said was for better control and firmer, constant rate springs. Which is often the opposite to what diy-ers do.

And when Firefox serviced the shocks, they too altered the internals accordingly and then fitted lighter oil.

Makes sense when you think about it and I have to say the front end of the bike was transformed; less dive on the brakes, less static sag and yet far smoother, quicker reacting and more controlled over bumps.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 13/03/2012 13:39  

the front end on the xj was like an old man with erectile disfunction and needed something to stiffen it up a bit (or was that me? i forget now). but yeah it depends on what you have and what you want as to whether you go thicker or thinner.

Update Reply
xj @ 14/03/2012 23:16  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email