MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Real men don't ride Vespa's

Real men don't ride Vespa's - Forums [Biker Match] Real men don't ride Vespa's - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Real men don't ride Vespa's

Living in the city, and having to commute in to work on a motorcycle is a fantastic way of getting around, there is however one thing that does make my ride a tad unpleasant…. Vespa riders; they seem to think that general road rules do not apply to them…. In and out of bicycle lanes, undertaking at any given opportunity. In a queue of traffic they would ride on the inside down the bicycle lane and stop in the bicycle box to wait for the red light to change, and once the traffic lights turn red they hold op the rest of the traffic cause they can’t the their as5es into gear, only to repeat the same process traffic light after traffic light. Yes, I get it… it’s a practical way to get around, but why do most of the Vespa riders adapt the same attitude, or is just me? <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Update Reply
virgoboy84 @ 27/01/2012 06:44  

Sorry to say that this is not restricted to Vespas or even scooters in general. I see it all the time when I come into London (from the east, in my case). There are plenty of 'big bikes' doing the same thing - the only difference is that their size restricts how much bad practice they can do.

Some of the video that I have of A2 / Blackwall / Poplar is abysmal.

It's not a scooter, or even bike thing however, it's the people. Does not matter whether it's car, van or bike, there will always be people who fall to 'commuter syndrome' and regard the journey as some sort of competition or warfare with everybody else on the road.

Update Reply
Pharaoh @ 27/01/2012 09:08  

i do the a2 warzone thru the blackwall tunnel every day too pharoah, its unbelievable what some people do. but in the city i find the cyclists by far the most scary.

Update Reply
xj @ 27/01/2012 17:49  

I'm sorry.. I can't add anything constructive to this topic.. it was the title that got me in... At least I'm honest! But I do feel for you.. I am lucky in that respect.. country/small town living has it's advantages although I can't get milk after 2.00pm on a Saturday unless I get the car out...

Update Reply
rockchickeelicious @ 27/01/2012 20:24  

U only get vespas on a sunday after lunch usually

Update Reply
Gremlinmike @ 29/01/2012 13:51  

U only get vespas on a sunday after lunch usually

Update Reply
Gremlinmike @ 29/01/2012 13:52  

hmmm yeah that would get my back up if i had to sit and watch that every mornin on way to work - lol.. i see a L plated 125 on way home every night he filters by undertaking on left of cars on a busy road and each day i think one day he gonna come acropper in his slip on shoes and socks (good foot protection there too!!)... still i guess its his shout .... the clueless ride /cycle/drive amongst us that is for sure .. hahahaha

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 29/01/2012 17:15  

Good Evening All. I think that some people have an inflated sense of self importance/worth and would look at you as if you were talking a foreign language were you to dare to suggest that they were even doing anything wrong. I must admit though, i see this attitude rear it's ugly head in many situations from all road users, regardless of their chosen modes of transportation. Consideration for others is a virtue that many seem to leave behind when travelling, even pedestrians seem to get blinded to their usually valuable standards by 'the rage'. Best weekend wishes... ..icey

Update Reply
iceybusa @ 29/01/2012 17:47  

The only time I have experienced "Rage" in a car is when I was pushed off the road by a truck.. I broke my wrist grabbing hold of Ellie who as strapped in the front... Now that was PURE Rage!! Other than that.. I always drive and Enjoy it! I dont let other road users upset me.. life is too short.. I let them out.. let them in.. if someone cuts me up I give a little sigh but I don't get angry at them.. because thats when accidents happen.. Besides.. theres a video that put it into perspective for me.. it showed you all these scenario's about other peoples attitudes.. a lot of it on the road... shocking... then it showed you what had happened before to make them like that... ~ So I always give the benefit of the doubt.. unless they runme off the road then I will madder than a mad thing :D

Update Reply
rockchickeelicious @ 29/01/2012 18:32  

I see it everyday its not just scooters its the 125's with L plates and the 250 with out. mostly I fond it the guys that have a bike to cummut not to ride.
They brought it for the econemy and to get around town faster than in a car they have there CBT but thats about it. I cummut to Derby everyday and once I get there am just amazed at how no one is killed, Iv been watching one kid on a little 75cc come past me everynight in tracksuit bottoms and trainers undercutting and weaving all the way, just waiting for him to come a cropper nothing yet though

Update Reply
cavywavy @ 29/01/2012 19:01  

Heyyy, whatsa da matter with me vespa ? Flat bars and a union jack on the engine covers, eets verry sexyyy :) I donta do da silly drivin like you all sayin above, but I sure see plenty - these guys on the peugeots, kimcos, plasticos they aint cool - doin stuff properly and well is cool - and vespa is well cool OK - mama's pasta's ready , I gotta slip me D&G shades on and split Ciao bella gente

Update Reply
chris.sheridan @ 29/01/2012 19:38  

I was in Sicily at mid day stuck in the middle of what I (englishly?) assumed to be a frenetic mad angry traffic jam. In a hire car - a little Panda. Nobody was moving. Everybody was sitting in their cars or on their bikes. Waiting for things to start moving again. I assumed everybody was sitting there fuming desperate to rush on to their next task.

Difference was that nobody was angry. Everybody smiled at each and nodded greetings to each other.

Just like when I went the wrong way up a very narrow one way road in the same little town. The pedestrians and other drivers laughed in a friendly way at the odd "english woman". I was quite charmed by their outlook.

Why can't our cities be like that?

Ciao. Bella indeed.

Update Reply
lawnmower @ 30/01/2012 08:54  

Ever since I was born.. I knew I was displaced... Now I know why!! *starts singing Volare.. checking out vespa sales.. capri pants and flights to Sicily*

Update Reply
rockchickeelicious @ 30/01/2012 14:06  

RC...

dont forget to gear up with a 'Momo design' lid, shorts and flip flops for riding gear... it goes together with the vespa theme!

Update Reply
virgoboy84 @ 31/01/2012 21:25  

lol@ chris.sheridan! You certainly wearing the wrong gear there for a vespa fanatic! mmm... *scratching my head*

Update Reply
virgoboy84 @ 31/01/2012 21:34  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email