MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

New licence changes

New licence changes - Forums [Biker Match] New licence changes - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

New licence changes

Details of new licence regime confirmed By Steve Farrell -General news 13 January 2012 17:05 MCN. Details of a new motorcycle licence regime to be implemented next year have been confirmed by the Driving Standards Agency. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p> The new rules will limit all riders under 19 to 125cc machines and under-21s to 47bhp. <o:p></o:p> Those aged 17-19 will only be able to gain a licence for a machine up to 125cc and 15bhp by taking a test on a bike of similar spec.<o:p></o:p> At 19 they can qualify for a bike up to 47bhp by doing another test or undertaking additional training. This must be done on a machine over 395cc and between 33bhp and 47bhp.<o:p></o:p> They then face a further two-year wait – and yet another test or further training - before they can qualify to ride a bike of any power.<o:p></o:p> Alternatively, people over 24 can take a single Direct Access test to immediately qualify for bikes of any power. This test must be taken on a machine of at least 595cc and 54bhp. <o:p></o:p> Each step-up in power will involve a further test or training. A DSA release said: ‘The feasibility of the training option is currently being looked into; a final decision is yet to be made.’<o:p></o:p> The new regime is due to be implemented from January 19 next year.<o:p></o:p> It means 17-year-olds will face three exams or training sessions over a minimum of four years before they can ride an unlimited bike.<o:p></o:p> There are grave concerns about the impact it will have on new rider numbers. Paul Dickinson, Chairman of the Motorcycle Trainers’ National Council, said: “It’s going to be a problem just explaining the new process when people phone up. There is a concern it may put people off.”<o:p></o:p> At the moment there are two routes to a full motorcycle licence without power restrictions. Riders can either do their test on a 125 and spend two years restricted to 33bhp or, if over 21, they can do the Direct Access test on a machine of at least 47bhp and bypass the wait.

Update Reply
nellie @ 22/01/2012 19:19  

Wow,, Is it sensible or harsh. don't know,, glad i've not had to do it that way. It will reduce new biker numbers,, adding to congestion,,

Update Reply
AlpineBusa @ 22/01/2012 21:11  

I can see this causing some schools closing and staff ending up claiming benefits. In theory there will be more work for the schools but in practice I can see less new riders coming forward, hence unemployment numbers rising. I'm all for safer initiatives, but you can cram all the training and tests in that you like and idiots will still be idiots, and safe riders will still be safe riders. Like AP says, glad it's not me. Did my test 29 years ago; lol.

Update Reply
Simon66 @ 23/01/2012 03:10  

Just think about the bikes shed loads of old 500's hitting the showrooms unless they fit the 33-47hp bracket i suppose perhaps they could be restricted like 33hp but would that cost a lot?

Update Reply
Ho4701 @ 23/01/2012 09:18  

Carnt belive how complicated that looks, I was looking at doing my car test ( dont ask I just never could be bothered once I got a bike ) And thought that was expesive and cumbersom. I can see there been a lot more 125 ridders if your just cummuting why bother doing the other tests

Update Reply
cavywavy @ 26/01/2012 20:53  

Why the do they insist they are doing all this crap in the name of safety?? They don't give a shit if we kill ourselves, they don't like the fact that we use less fuel than the gas guzzling cages(so less revenue) we pay less road tax(so less revenue). The only thing it ever seems to be is to put prospective new riders off with all this red tape re-testing, make them buy cars(more revenue) a new rider taking the standard 125 test and restricted to 33 bhp for 2 years has got to be a safer bet than a 17 year old 'new' cage driver emulating his fave F1 driver.. Do I hear the rumblings of a series of protest rides??(more revenue)

Update Reply
old red @ 27/01/2012 00:06  

Do I hear the rumblings of a series of protest rides?? Count me in!! Sticking their oar in again.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 27/01/2012 11:03  

Its seems to stack everything against the new riders. A while ago there was a similar thread, in which i proposed a power limit on new car drivers, in the same way. It seems daft that the only limit to the power of car a new driver can have is the depth of there pockets. Or not botherering with insurance, tax, licence or mot. Delete as required. The safety excuse can not be used to discriminate against one class of road user. A rule for both would be fair. :-)

Update Reply
SPESH @ 27/01/2012 16:51  

SPESH was my thought also when i read it.

You can pass your car test and away you got why are biker being treated differently

Update Reply
madscots @ 28/01/2012 01:55  

How glad I'm now I'm not 19 anymore!!

All in the name of control and revenue!

Update Reply
virgoboy84 @ 28/01/2012 07:29  

These changes have been planned for the last couple of years under the European 3rd driving licence directive:

They say biking is an old man's (persons) past time and it looks like its getting more and more that way, youngsters encouraged more to do a car test than a bike cos its easier and cheaper for them.

Biking tho better for the roads and environment is considered the more dangerous of the 2 options and so should be discouraged to the young.

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 28/01/2012 07:59  

Interesting perspective Shell, however discouraging youngsters to get involved into the biking world, can cause a raft of problems...

- Less patrons at riding schools
- Decline of motorcycle sales which causes economic problems of its own
- More congestion on the roads, which in affect will cause higher co2 emissions which is likely to increase our road tax
- Having a influx of road users will :
*mean more accidents on roads which will push insurance premiums even further possibly encouraging people to drive without insurance.
*Push up fuel prices as the demand would be higher.
- Loss of time for commuters, which will cause loss of productivity
- Influx of train commuters, which has its own effects.

etc.. etc.. etc..

Have these folks at the top really thought it through properly, I would like to think so ey!!

Update Reply
virgoboy84 @ 28/01/2012 16:48  

Personaly I dont have a problem with them restricting power for new riders.
and I dont think it should just be age I think if you pass after 21 you should be restricted to say 500/600CC for 18 months. But its all the extra testing and expense that goes with it that will kill make it less attractive. Like has been said above it just seems to be another source of money, for them to pull in its not even used to make the roads any better. The roads by me are stuppidly dangrus if your a bicker I cummut into Derby every day and there are 2 spots where the road is just nasty and full of goves and one as you get on the ring road that is designed to kill bikers its the only reason I can see for it. I dont know what the next few years will hold but I'm sort of glad I dont have a car and sad that very few ppl my age seem to be getting bikes already.

Update Reply
cavywavy @ 28/01/2012 19:28  

there ought to be more restriction on car test to being them inline with the bike test

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 28/01/2012 19:37  

Mandatory motorway module... now that's a step into the right direction!!!

I'm sick of people sitting in the middle or outside lane doing 50 mph with no other cars on the road, freakin keep left pass right!!

Update Reply
virgoboy84 @ 28/01/2012 20:24  

Hey-Ho to those changes. Possibly a good thing. BUT my arguement is, and pardon the french, why the F**k can't they do that to Driving Licences????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have known too many youngsters mamed or killed from inexperienced and stupid driving. Parents (with cash) should know better than to buy their off-spring GTi cages etc. Insurance premiums are NOT ENOUGH to put them off!!!! ....and I'm calm again now... Lol!

Update Reply
alfie01 @ 09/02/2012 20:29  

poli.fecking.ticians aarrrgh. They have a real cushy job . They could just sit on their ars*s and dream about expenses. But no. Every so often they think they have to ''do something'' . Nothing that would cost them a lot of votes , but something. Pick on a minority. Of course It's now illegal to pick on colours. Religions, sexes , gays, etc, . It only leaves us , don't it

.... Dusty...

Update Reply
dustin666 @ 09/02/2012 21:05  

Well guys and girls, why not mail your MP every time you get p&^%&ed off with a new proposed regulation or change that is going to affect you, though I have found that our MEPs and MPs don't seem to have much understanding of anyone who rides a bike.

Still dont let that stop you, If we all send a few emails they may eventually notice us.

Update Reply
thehairyone @ 09/02/2012 23:35  

I totally agree with you VIRGO BOY of hammersmith. Police will book those speeding and switching lanes (dangerous driving) but those that sit in middle lane are dangerous driving!!! these idiots cause bottle necks and breaking in the overtaking lane!!!! leading to accidents.....They should be booked and fined for improper use of motorway lanes!!!!

Update Reply
alfie01 @ 15/02/2012 13:36  

I do alot of driving, and there are 2 contenders for Knob of the Road. Pushbike riders and motorists on their mobile phones. My complaints have been registered

Update Reply
bandit lover @ 15/02/2012 16:48  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email