MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

BM Website Issues/Help Requests

Vote: The future of profile photos!

Vote: The future of profile photos! - Forums [Biker Match] Vote: The future of profile photos! - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / BM Website Issues/Help Requests /

Vote: The future of profile photos!

Well as most of you know, this is the most commonly discussed "issue" with Biker Match.

Please don't vote unless you understand what you're voting on!

Basically: Most people want all the MAIN profile photos (that's the photos that show in search results, forums, attendance lists etc) to only include the member who the profile belongs to... NOT their bikes, house, pets etc as many people seem to think is acceptable.

However, those who do set their profile picture as a pet or vehicle seem to think they have a "right" to do so because, for example, they paid their subs.

It's what the BM members want though! If 90% of people want profile pics to only include the person (additional pics can be uploaded of bike etc) then mods will continue to enforce this rule. If the vote is 50/50 (or close to) then it will be for moderators to decide. At the end of the day the site started, and is still largely, as a dating site. New members don't want to be trawling through pages of bikes when looking for a potential partner. We may even lose a lot of new members through frustration if the profile searches are all bikes, houses, pets.

But it's up to you. So, please feel free to vote below and we'll see how the vote goes...

==========================================

Update Reply
Matt @ 14/01/2012 09:15  

Unlocking this topic cos there's a lot of comments being posted into the votes system that I wanted to respond to.

One said... "the members bike is fine as long as there on it and you can see there face" but chose option 5!! Option 5 is "Photos of member or his/her bike".... that means NOT their face then. It does not say ON their bike!

Please chose your vote carefully!

Update Reply
Matt @ 14/01/2012 13:55  

Another comment was... "it surely depends on whether you see the future as a dating website or social networking site? and you can add bike, pet, house or anything else into you photos page....if people are interested in pics they will go look."

No, you have to join the site in order to look at additional photos. Guests can only see the default / main photo on profiles

Update Reply
Matt @ 14/01/2012 13:58  

Votes so far...

11 Only photos clearly identifying the member
4 Photos of member or with partner only, not big groups though
2 Photos of anything, I'm not bothered
1 Photos of member *OR* his/her bike (without the person on!)
0 Photos in groups, but only of people. Unable to identify who the member is!

Update Reply
Matt @ 14/01/2012 14:02  

Votes so far (I corrected the one who made a mistake)....

16 Only photos clearly identifying the member
8 Photos of member or with partner only, not big groups though
0 Photos of member *OR* his/her bike (without the person on!)

Update Reply
Matt @ 14/01/2012 20:32  

Perhaps link this to the newsletter Matt? Are standard members able to vote?

Update Reply
Sandi @ 14/01/2012 21:27  

Thanks, yea I will do tomorrow. Just finished doing the accounts and I'm falling asleep now. Already 1 week late with the newsletter :-(

Yes standard members can also vote. I can always compare the results between standard and full members after also if necessary, see what the difference is between the 2 and how they vote

Update Reply
Matt @ 14/01/2012 21:35  

Great idea Boss Man

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 15/01/2012 10:08  

Haha just realised this topic was misplaced and nobody but staff could access it

Update Reply
Matt @ 15/01/2012 13:43  

20 Only photos clearly identifying the member
12 Photos of member or with partner only, not big groups though
0 Photos of member *OR* his/her bike (without the person on!)

Update Reply
Matt @ 15/01/2012 14:02  

Matt, IMHO I think if this thread was in the General/Anything goes, more people will see it and vote on it. My feeling there are people that regularily troll through all the main thread areas. Just a thought

Update Reply
bomb doctor @ 15/01/2012 17:31  

One thought from me.
This is primarily a dating site for bikers.
I think it should be mandatory for a photo of yourself to
be posted. I'm not particularly wonderful to look at but
all members can see me. I really don't see any point in
wanting to join a dating site unless you are prepared to
'show yer face'! Yet, it seems there are many members who are not
prepared to do so. Why? If they have something to hide why
bother being here at all. Very few people, guys or girlies, are
going to give a 'nod' much less a PM to anyone whose face
they can't see.
Sorry to all of those ladies who think that to remain 'faceless'
is OK but I disagree. There is no point whatsoever.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/01/2012 21:50  

FYI I have just done a search for ladies looking for a guy, within 100 miles of me. Of the 88 returns, 9 had no piccy. (No wisecracks, plse)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/01/2012 22:52  

Ha ha their all hiding from you....lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/01/2012 22:57  

Really can be a pic of anything as long as they are in it showing face......let's be fair there are some profile pics up that are quite a few years older than the persons current age and several pounds heavier as well...and then some lol.....

But each to their own I guess....mmmmhhhh must go comb my long hair in a moment and put on my size 29 jeans pmsl...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/01/2012 23:00  

Yeah right JTB and i'm a kate moss look a like lol

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 16/01/2012 09:34  

Hmm, I not sure a pc should be mandatory, people may have many reasons for not wanting to post a public profile pic. As you all can know I now have a partner and so proud to let all members know I am here now purely for friendship,my profile pic with WMF makes this very clear.

Update Reply
rossoandy21 @ 16/01/2012 11:27  

I think being able to post a profile pic with yourself and your partner just go's to prove that this Site Works!! I usually have Minx in mine and would like to keep it that way whether I remain attached or dive back into singledom... She is the single most important person in my life and for me that was an important message to get across from the off.. Besides.. she hit the link... So she deserves all the credit for mamma's new found social life and friends

Update Reply
rockchickeelicious @ 16/01/2012 11:50  

Hey OJ, welcome to the site. You're indeed right... but the moderators get a lot of stick from people when they delete/change their profile pics which don't meet the rules. It's amazing how much abuse and backlash the mods have to take from ignorant people on here. Well this topic serves to demonstrate when the members of BM want, and if anyone complains in future about their profile pic being removed we can forward them to this vote and say "This is what the members want and we're not a dictatorship" (as we often get accused of).

Andy, mega-congrats mate - that's great news. Don't be buggering off now though, you're here for good lol. Met through BM I hope?

RC - that's very sweet :-D

Update Reply
Matt @ 16/01/2012 12:12  

pics of anything/one other than the person who's profile it is defeats the ability to be recognised when you meet up anywhere

for example a guy came up to myself and FG one day when we were at Rivvi barn and asked if we'd seen a certain person, off the site, here as they'd posted that they were attending. Did not have a clue as to who the guy was (the one asking) as his profile pic is of him on his bike but taken from about 20foot away and he didn't introduce himself
we kinda figured who we thought he was (he wandered off into the crowd) and thanks to smart phone technology and accessing the site found a good guess at who he was
must say tho that I personally must stand out somehow because of the amount of peeps who introduce themselves to me at meets calling me by name so my likeness to my profile pic must prove the point i guess

Update Reply
Stroggyman @ 16/01/2012 12:58  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email