MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

BM Website Issues/Help Requests

Locking topics

Locking topics - Forums [Biker Match] Locking topics - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / BM Website Issues/Help Requests /

Locking topics

Just to let everyone know that moderators now have the access to LOCK topics rather than just delete them. We will be using this function quite a lot when a topic starts to go downhill. In the past we had to either let it stay or delete completely.

Update Reply
Matt @ 07/01/2012 11:27  

Thanks Matt hopefully it will alleviate the frustration members felt when threads were deleted .

Update Reply
Blackberry @ 07/01/2012 13:36  

Personally I'd rather a thread was deleted than locked. It's irritating, as a newbie, to want to add comments to a topic (no matter how old the topic, if it's of interest) and can't.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 07/01/2012 16:21  

Funny, but I was considering causing mayhem the other night when I was in a mischevious mood and was going to comment on threads from the first days of BM. I decided to behave in the end....for a change; lol.

Update Reply
Simon66 @ 08/01/2012 03:30  

Sandi trouble is some need locking before thay can be deleted due to other resons, most old post that your thinking of are unlikey to be locked as there would be no reson to lock them

Update Reply
JP @ 08/01/2012 10:38  

Nice one Boss Man should save some confusion :)

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 08/01/2012 10:54  

may i make a suggestion

would it not be helpfully if the mod that locks the thread they post on the thread stating why the thread has been locked

this would then let newbies know that the thread has been locked and as sandi stated eleveate the issue of newbies thinking the site is not what they are looking for .

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/01/2012 12:06  

I think it's a given that an explanation will be given when a topic is locked although I reckon for the most part it will be self-explanatory!

Update Reply
Blackberry @ 08/01/2012 12:53  

I have to agree with Sandi and Loon on this one to avoid confusion and bad feeling a brief explanation as to why a member can no longer post on the thread that has been locked. Its something that if I had the need to do I would put as last posting, that way if a member has a query as to why its been locked they could PM the person that has locked it.

Update Reply
jabecs @ 08/01/2012 13:04  

As stated i think its a given that a Mod would post an explaination as to why the thread has been locked.

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 08/01/2012 20:25  

At last!! I've been suggesting this time and time again

Update Reply
feistygirl @ 08/01/2012 21:34  

Nice, although I used to lock threads with nothing more than "Enough" ;p Doesn't explain anything unless you read the thread ;)

Update Reply
Say_Ten @ 09/01/2012 13:49  

Mods will of course put a last and final note on a topic when they lock it - same as when they change your photo or delete your forum post etc - you'll get a PM. Any topic over 2 months old cannot be posted in. There's good reason for this... some newbies come along and re-open a dozen topics from 4 years ago which no longer apply any more. It causes MASSIVE confusion, hassle for me and the mods, and even more upset to the newbie when their posts get deleted to put the topic back where it was. All forums need an "archive" and this is BM's automatic archive - i.e. you can't post if nobody else has posted in 2 months. Exception being any member of staff (mods, event team, etc) who can always revive older topics if absolutely necessary

Update Reply
Matt @ 09/01/2012 14:08  

Matt, you'll be able to lock topics that don't require responses, such as informative ones about the site, stops all those off-topic posts.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 09/01/2012 23:21  

except if they don't!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/01/2012 23:50  

Matt, I take it you will have the final say if threads are locked?
What if a mod locks a thread because of their personal opinion unnecessarily, would there be scope to unlock it?

Update Reply
bomb doctor @ 11/01/2012 14:40  

BD its the norm that if any Mod has a strong personal reason for an opinion on any thread, they usually ask another Mod to look at it. I for one would ask another Mod for their opinion or to look at it if i was unsure or thought i could not be objective and unbiased.

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 11/01/2012 16:10  

Yes if anyone wants a topic unlocking you can email the mods group via the contact page. However, most topics that are locked will be so for a good reason. Just because you was involved in the original topic and want to "have your say" doesn't warrant having it remain open.

Update Reply
Matt @ 11/01/2012 17:10  

So the Bikers? thread has been locked by a mod with no explanation. I was under the impression that it was a given that explanantions would be given for the reasons. Yes it may be obvious, but i find it frustrating that the thread has the final say of a hypocrite.

Update Reply
bomb doctor @ 21/01/2012 09:05  

Oops B D my fault, I locked it so it wouldn't get out of hand anymore and I was just about to notify a mod about it.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 21/01/2012 09:11  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email