MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Job hunting up North

Job hunting up North - Forums [Biker Match] Job hunting up North - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Job hunting up North

Time for Noodles to find a surveying job up North - manchester and surrounding areas as far afield as rotherham or close by, so anyone knowing of any surveying jobs please give me a PM. Working for local authorities, social housing, rural estates, private practice etc. Hopefully something will turn up as I need to move before I go totally mad !!

Update Reply
potnoodles @ 08/11/2011 21:45  

Try barnfield construction hunny-they're a good firm to work for and my old mate bertie worked for them and i think my mate jessica's brother works for them.....only heard positive things about them but there'll be no shortage of work in manchester and preston love xx

Update Reply
mizzi @ 08/11/2011 22:12  

Prefer to work client side or as a consultant - contractors are just plain greedy

Update Reply
potnoodles @ 08/11/2011 22:40  

Good Luck 'noodles......that's a good decision

Update Reply
Alice2 @ 08/11/2011 23:09  

Good luck with the job hunt xx

Update Reply
Nutkin68 @ 08/11/2011 23:11  

Good luck noodles in all your gonna do ;-)

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 09/11/2011 05:59  

What type of surveyor are you Noodles?

I am presuming topo? If so then have you investigated relative fee incomes between the north and the south?

Not wanting to put you off, but we have a topo team based on the Isle of Wight covering the south of the UK and being in regular contact with the team leader I know that their normal daily fee is in the region of £750-£1,000.

However, I have a very experienced surveyor in my team in Leeds. He works as a one man band having fully robotic equipment (cost us circa £35k!) and is thus able to deal with sites very quickly.

Even so, we struggle to win work with bids in excess of £400-450/day. And even then this is based purely on days on site, the additional time in the office drawing the survey up is wrapped up in this.

As I say, I don't want to put you off, but it is probably worth doing some investigations before you move up here as topo surveying is extremely competitive in the North.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 09/11/2011 07:18  

yayyyyy you've finally seen the light and decided to move oop north, I bet a certain lass has something to do with this?? Like Geoff says, there is still a difference in the North/South divide, sadly, I know as I have a brother in St Albans and the difference in living expenses/house prices/wages is quite astounding, but as long as you are prepared for that you will be fine. And you will always get a warm welcome oooop north! Good Luck with the job hunting

Update Reply
Karey @ 09/11/2011 10:45  

Excellent info there Geoff, sadly true about the difference in wages for some jobs. I looked up the salaries for General Administrator (my profession) and there's not much difference down South, unfortunately the cost of living is higher down there, as are the housing costs be it rental or owned. Oops soz Kaz, I posted after you so didn't see your comments. Wherever you end up Potnoodles I hope you will be very happy, good luck.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 09/11/2011 11:15  

Wages cut to just £400 a day Pots? I know it'll be a struggle, but I'm sure you'll manage. (gags on tongue in cheek)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/11/2011 11:20  

Building Surveyor for my sins and the relative pay scale is pretty similar - dont expect to get a salary drop - probably an increase as I am working for peanuts presently just for a stress free minimal responsiblity 9-5 job.

Update Reply
potnoodles @ 12/11/2011 21:21  

Salaries are lower up here pots, but so are the house prices/costs of living etc. I'm sure you'll be fine up here.

Besides, we're much friendlier up here too

Update Reply
lisaj @ 12/11/2011 22:36  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email