MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Tiger - 800XC or 1050

Tiger - 800XC or 1050 - Forums [Biker Match] Tiger - 800XC or 1050 - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Tiger - 800XC or 1050

After a lot of thought about my next bike, I had finally decided on a 1050 Tiger. Then a mate mentioned the 800XC, and after reading a few reviews, it looks to me like the 800 ticks all the boxes for me for less dollar, so its back off to triumph for a test ride. Has anybody out there got/had either of these bikes? Pros/Cons I should be aware of?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/10/2011 12:32  

I haven't owned either (unfortunately) but you're doing the right thing test-riding each before deciding :) Try to get more than one ride before signing the papers.
Reckon you won't be unhappy with Either

Update Reply
Junction47 @ 27/10/2011 15:35  

I got a 1050 great road bike and fantastic engine. I have had a test on the 800 road bike not the xc and have it on my shortlist next time round But if your young and strong the 1050 the bike I only want to downsize next time because I am a short arse and I tip toe about even with it lowered and a low seat. If you go for the 1050 there should be good deals on them as its just had a face lift not sure what they done just a few bits to spruce irt up.

Update Reply
nozz @ 31/10/2011 06:21  

I've got a 2010 Tiger 1050 and am very pleased with it.

For 2012 the Tiger 1050 has been tweaked with lowered handlebars, a firmer rear spring and revised suspension internals front and back to raise it's sporting credentials. Also many design tweaks including new Speed Triple-style graphics, black wheels, black front callipers and brushed effects on the footrests, hangers and exhaust as opposed to a polished finish.
I think the updates really freshen up the look and am considering some of these tweaks for my own!

The fully adjustable front end is superb, the out-of-the-box settings are excellent and are complimented by the superb radially-mounted 4-pot Nissin callipers.
The engine is a real powerhouse, it's grunt from low down and the mid-range punch spawn many grins across my face and it sounds lovely all the way up to 9,500 rpm redline.

It's a little noisy on tickover, injectors tick away audibly and the clutch has an odd scrape when disengaged.

The soft rear (especially compared to the front end) was one of the bigger complaints of the original Tiger 1050, suitable for solo riding but a bit out of it's depths with pillions and/or lots of luggage. There's no remote preload adjustment either, you'll need an 8mm socket and a short extension for that.

None of this detracts from the experience once you set off, though.

I've not sat aboard either of the Tiger 800's yet so can't give you a comparison. But if reviews are anything to go by, both are great machines.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 31/10/2011 15:33  

Thanks nozz & Static. Good to hear feedback from someone who actually owns one. The 1050 might still be my choice, as there aren't many 800's coming up second hand yet, and I really dont like the idea of paying an extra 20% VAT for a new one! (I prefer the 800XC styling, but price is a BIG consideration) I haven't read anywhere about the 1050's soft rear. I'll have to read up a bit more, as the majority of my riding is 2's up, fully loaded touring. Got another test ride (XC this time) on Wednesday, so if i win the lottery in the meantime i could bring one home, or, more likely, lots of saving to be done over the winter!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 31/10/2011 15:56  

To give you a frame of reference for the rear end Slidy, the standard preload adjustment for solo riding is 16 clicks back from fully clockwise and I've found it comfortable at 11 clicks with my 80 kilos on board.

Quoted for Rider, Passenger and Luggage is 6 clicks back from fully clockwise. If I employed the same scale, I'd be looking at an un-calibrated 1 click.
Obviously depending on what luggage and who is pillion (absolutely no disrespect!) you could very well reach the limits of the rear.

The spring on the 2012 Tiger 1050 is quoted as a 29% increase in stiffness, very welcome indeed!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 31/10/2011 17:00  

Slidy, tiger 1050 .com good forum with plenty of info and opinions

Update Reply
nozz @ 31/10/2011 23:34  

Slidy, if you can get a hold of a copy there's a big test/write-up of the Tiger 800 in the December 2011 edition of Ride magazine.

The cover informs me it's on sale until 15th November.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/11/2011 17:24  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email