MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

Insurance under investigation at last, BUT..

Insurance under investigation at last, BUT.. - Forums [Biker Match] Insurance under investigation at last, BUT.. - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

Insurance under investigation at last, BUT..

Is it really gonna make a difference???

UK annual comprehensive car insurance premiums are reported to have risen by as much as 40 per cent in 2010-11 and the OFT is interested in gathering market participants’ views on:
whether the reported increase in private motor insurance premiums is accurate
the factors that are responsible for contributing to any increase in premiums, and
whether there is work that the OFT or other parties could be doing to improve the way that the market is currently functioning.
The OFT is interested in examining reports that car insurance premiums in Northern Ireland are significantly higher than they are in the rest of the UK and understanding the reasons for any difference.
We have identified a number of aspects of the private motor insurance market that may raise competition or consumer issues:
the role of price comparison websites
the provision of credit hire replacement vehicles to drivers who are involved in accidents that are not their fault
insurance companies’ use of panels of approved repairers, and
ancillary products (such as motor legal protection) that are sold by insurance companies in addition to standard motor insurance cover.
The Financial Services Authority (FSA) has raised concerns about the fair treatment of consumers who buy insurance on price comparison websites and is currently consulting on proposed guidance for businesses that operate these websites.
The cost of personal injury claims, another potential contributory factor to rising private motor insurance premiums, is currently being considered by the Government.  We have therefore agreed with Ministry of Justice that this aspect of the market should not be a focus of our evidence gathering.
We have already co-ordinated, and will continue to work, with both the Government and the FSA over the course of this work.

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 14/10/2011 05:55  

It might be something to do with my age but my car and bike insurance have both gone down for 3 years running :-))

Update Reply
wheelbarrow @ 14/10/2011 06:23  

what about looking into the refusal of cover when carrying a pillion even when most bikes are designed with a pillion seat? ?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 14/10/2011 13:02  

If you let them they would put it up every year mine, went up £90 this year called them and they said it was the best they could do. Onto the net and saved myself £100 the old adage still applies shop around

Update Reply
nozz @ 14/10/2011 16:09  

Just out of curiosity, Wheelbarrow, which company insures your bike/car?

Update Reply
Sandi @ 15/10/2011 12:26  

Sandi, bike is with MCE this year after Bennetts tried to shaft me with a big increase and hefty excess, shopped around and got it cheaper than the previous year. Car is insured with LV which is the company who the CSMA deal with, costs me 16£ a year to be in that but I get huge discount off insurance for my car and wife's car. Just to compare my car renewal came in at 135 and I looked around the compare sites and they were all above 200 even LV. So if your an ex civil servant or current one or postman and some other jobs as well, even if you have family in these sort of jobs you can join it's well worth it and there's more benefits other than the insurance.

Update Reply
wheelbarrow @ 15/10/2011 16:08  

Wheely like you mine was cheaper too. ... Tho I kept same companies :-)

Hastings direct for car and Adrian Flux for the bike

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 15/10/2011 17:23  

I was with MCE & they doubled my insurance to over £800. I then went to Swinton & it cost me £160. Big difference.

Update Reply
TonyG @ 01/01/2012 20:41  

insurance i hate them all ! i do wonder how some of moded cars get insurance, just imagine the phone call, bought one rediculous spoiler they give me 2 free,yes its been lowered to hit most speed bumps, exhaust, not sure can't tell the air ducting pipe underneath is the exhaust or for the air-con,modified oh no its 1.2 honest!
joking aside it pays to shop around. some insurance start cheap but hit you hard with mods or extras,other insurance can lower with mods braded hoses etc,but always tell them of mods but remember you can't know what comes as standared on every bike ever made (unless you are a bike god)

Update Reply
big e-on @ 01/01/2012 22:56  

no matter what they charge we've got to have it .

Update Reply
big e-on @ 01/01/2012 22:56  

Wonder if it will end up like the banks & PPI claims

Update Reply
bomb doctor @ 09/01/2012 15:18  

I just got my auto renewal forms from bennetts . . . £343. Out of interest, just got a quote from Carole Nash for exactly the same cover for £138. In fact, just checking again, and bennetts have put their excess up to £400 where Nash is only £150! I dont think Bennetts will have my business this year!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/01/2012 15:53  

I got a phone call off Carole Nash's sales team earlier asking about an online quote I did on Sunday (not renewing until May ..) and they told me that I was eligible for "Modern Classic" insurance as they bike is over 10 years old, with about 6000 miles per annum .. quoted me 117 which I thought was pretty good --- I'll check again in May !!

Update Reply
chris.sheridan @ 02/02/2012 22:02  

.... especially as I'm planning suspension upgrades !!

Update Reply
chris.sheridan @ 02/02/2012 22:03  

Can u get them on the NHS?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/02/2012 23:08  

wheelbarrow..that huge discount strikes me as being unfair and discriminating against me just bcause i didnt work there! If u offered a discount for blackdrivers there would be a huge outcry! Women pay the same now after all.....an look at the risks there lol.. What I wanna know is..if u have say ten yrs no claims on yer bike an car insurances...then have a car accident, yer bike ins will loose part of its no claims next renewal cause u had a RTA....BUT when U go looking for NCB discounts you will be told discount earnt on a car cant be used on a bike policy an visa versa. Also...even when U a named driver on a policy U rarely get allowed any NCD when U go to insure in your own right,despite many yrs claim free driving say on your spouses policy,why cant policies be in joint names? An onother one, why do you have to have a diving licence to insure a motor vehicle? You could own a classic big bike but not have a licence for it....it would be an ornamant or possibly a show bike trailered everywhere. But as its a motor vehicle you cant insure it any other way. I tried to put a bike as specified valubles on my home ins once as it wasnt being used , was undergoing a several yr restoration but it still was worth a couple of grand as it stood. If its in bits its arguably not a 'motor vehicle' ! Yet I can insure unspecified camping gear for 2k easily on home contents...

Update Reply
rossoandy21 @ 05/02/2012 19:06  

I have just renewed my insurance with Carol Nash. I have a six wheeler policy, the bikes and the car on the same policy. You get breakdown recovery for the uk and europe as well as insurance for europe. The insurance was about the same as last year.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/02/2012 17:59  

Insurance!!! whats that...

Update Reply
UKHarleyRider @ 18/02/2012 13:15  

Durex I think

Update Reply
JP @ 18/02/2012 13:42  

In Austrailia durex come's in roles

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 18/02/2012 17:40  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email