MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Cigeratte lighter for bike any good ?

Cigeratte lighter for bike any good ? - Forums [Biker Match] Cigeratte lighter for bike any good ? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Cigeratte lighter for bike any good ?

I was looking to install cigarette lighter on my bike (triumph speed master) so it can be used for many things like charging sat nav / phone or any other thing dont know what will be the effect on battery ? or bike itself ?

any suggestions / comments welcomed

Update Reply
Mubz @ 12/10/2011 06:51  

I would fit it to the fuse box so it is ign live you can't forget it and end up with a flat battery

Update Reply
JP @ 12/10/2011 07:29  

I got one on mine, just connected up to the battery with an online fuse, it just sits under the seat, no problems with it.

Update Reply
wheelbarrow @ 12/10/2011 11:03  

works well Miles i think some Triumphs alread have the wireing in there for you to connect up to so check it out

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 12/10/2011 11:19  

Cigarette lighter is ok as long as care is taken with the wiring to avoid dead battery syndrome!

But ashtrays can only be fitted to Harleys!

Update Reply
YID @ 12/10/2011 11:20  

Yid you bitch lol

Update Reply
JP @ 12/10/2011 11:23  

Now now boys play nice !!!

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 12/10/2011 12:03  

Agree with comments above ... great for the hair drier ... straighteners ... erm I mean pump for the blow up bed when camping

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 12/10/2011 18:31  

Don't go buying a whole lighter unit, just a car accessory socket, part number [001055] from Maplins. Less than a couple of quid if I remember right.

Update Reply
harry worth @ 12/10/2011 20:11  

some great waterproof ones on ebay for marine use etc,,,great for bikes,,,,worth a look as they have been mentioned on here quite a while ago and i got one for my last bike,,,think i did pay about £12-15 ish though,,,but it was open to elements and was 100%watertight..

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 12/10/2011 21:25  

Thanks everyone I've bought one from Amazon and will check with triumph as its still under warranty so will ask them if they could fix it for me or if i do it myself would it void my warranty

Update Reply
Mubz @ 13/10/2011 01:45  

YID "Cigarette lighter is ok as long as care is taken with the wiring to avoid dead battery syndrome!

But ashtrays can only be fitted to Harleys!"

Just spit my moning tea all over the puter and tears in my eyes omg lol

Mudz go for it lots peeps have them and u can blow your airbed up

Update Reply
kaycat @ 13/10/2011 07:14  

I have an all weather connector for an Optimate/Accumate fitted to mine and you can purchase a cigarette lighter attachment which simply plugs into this. You can also get extension cables for it, which I attach and run into tent and then put cigarette lighter attachment inside tent for charging mobile phone whilst camping.

Update Reply
Scorpio54 @ 26/10/2011 20:30  

just put one under the seat of the SV wired directly to the battery, with a fuse on the live wire - worked OK, but not happy with the wiring routing etc, so (having established that it works) took it out again Time to think of little details now like where to put socket, do I want a switch in line, how to fix sat nav etc etc :)

Update Reply
chris.sheridan @ 02/11/2011 08:37  

Same as Scorpio, I have an Optimate lead connected to battery then the additional lead which has a weather proof lighter socket on the end, use it for sat nav/phone what have you, job done. The add on lead can be bought on fleebay for about £12

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/01/2012 18:04  

Just be wary of cutting into the wiring...it's nice and waterproof mate as soon as you quick clip etc you breach integrity....

I have it wired direct to battery a marine one with inline fuse.....it won't drain and hasn't in over 2 years Unless you leave something plugged in.....a mobile will stop charging when it is full unless you leave it on...but really the drain of a mobile would take a long time to drain a fully functioning bike battery....if you leave the air compressor going.....lol....you deserve a flat battery lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/01/2012 19:30  

i also have a socket wired to the battery on my vx800 through a fuse and sits in a space above the air box under the seat .... my gps power lead is long enough to reach under the seat to the socket and it gives it good wheather protection..... i can also at rallies plug in my phone to charge it up out of sight as the seat is a locking one plus the bike is alarmed

Update Reply
nellie @ 22/01/2012 21:16  

Trap door in a canoe comes to mind, but mod tec is wunderful.Thank you stopped smokin 33 years ago and never rode a harley.Had a shot on real tractor tho

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/01/2012 22:36  

Got a pic of you sat on one tho Em lol OOOOOPS said that outloud lol

Update Reply
jabecs @ 22/01/2012 22:39  

Yid wrote: 'Cigarette lighter is ok as long as care is taken with the wiring to avoid dead battery syndrome!But ashtrays can only be fitted to Harleys!' Cigarette lighter came standard on my SG mate, and I can fit another one for things like chargin the mobile,IPOD etc and I got a magnetic ashtray that sits on the tank. Only trouble is when I go to empty it, it's already empty. Really spooky that one and confuses the shit out of me

Update Reply
bomb doctor @ 24/01/2012 21:22  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email