MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Electrical woes

Electrical woes - Forums [Biker Match] Electrical woes - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Electrical woes

I've got a 1995 Kawasaki KLR250 D12. I've recently had the frame powder coated and fitted some new parts to it and also put parts of a new wirirng loom on. Now I have the problem of the bike runing but cutting out when it goes in to gear, I've by passed the side stand switch and it still cuts out when going in to gear. I've also noticed that the headlight flashes ahen the indicators go on but I have made sure there is a good earth on the frame. The cooling fan also seems not to be working. could this be part of the same problem? If any one has any ideas I would be greatfull.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/10/2011 19:21  

Cutting out when going into gear nutrel light switch ? The lighting could be bad earth so try running earth leads to all lights from a common earth plate fed by the battery

Update Reply
JP @ 10/10/2011 19:48  

Sidestand switch and clutch lock out switch are usually interconnected so you may have bridged the wrong wire on the sidestand.
If you've been powdercoated check and clean all earth points on the frame!
Does the fan work if the thermostat is by-passed?

Update Reply
YID @ 10/10/2011 19:52  

I've fitted a new neutral light switch and thats working and the earth is good as I have removed the powder coat from the earthing point.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/10/2011 20:33  

This may seem daft but check the bulbs are correct if you have the wrong type fitted it will cause all sorts of strange things to happen. not talking about wattage more the single/double fillament

Update Reply
JP @ 11/10/2011 18:57  

All the bulbs are correct wattage, now, the Fan switch is knackered so I'll need to change that and the Battery is shot too.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 11/10/2011 19:50  

Make sure there is a good earth connection between the back and front of the bike. i.e. run an earth wire between them if there isn't one there already.
What JP said would do that though.

Update Reply
TBird_Steve @ 11/10/2011 22:18  

priced up a Rad fan switch today, £70 I had to pick myself up off the floor! lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/10/2011 18:49  

(I'm no meshnik) but from what you're saying I would trace some of the wires from start to finish.. could be caused by a wrong connection(?)

Update Reply
Junction47 @ 18/10/2011 01:29  

I think there an incorrect connection somewhere if u sorted the earths an checked the bulbs are the right type (not wattage.type). You say u replaced some wiring......hmmmm could this be the issue? double check it. Have u a wiring diagram for the bike?

Update Reply
rossoandy21 @ 09/11/2011 13:44  

I by-passed the clutch switch and it ran perfectly, all I have to do now is see if it will run with the wires switched round.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/11/2011 18:56  

I've sorted the problem out now, looks like the clutch swith wasn't working, so I've soldered the two connection together and it's working fine now. Thanks for your help.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/11/2011 21:55  

so you have bi-passed the clutch switch?? That might be an MOT fail as it is generally considered a safety feature. Personally i would replace the clutch switch. Have you still disabled the side stand switch??
example 1 - you cannot see the neutral light or are not looking when you start the bike. Bike is in gear and you don't pull the clutch in. Discuss

Update Reply
Phil @ 27/03/2012 15:30  

I can see what your saying Pagan but Im sure that at the minate there is no check on these devices but there are changes coming to electical systems and repairs that may affect it. I along with alot of members remember saying WOW its got a nutral light I always pull in the clutch before starting most bikes

Update Reply
JP @ 27/03/2012 16:26  

So do I and the same on the car. you never know if it is in gear and it puts less stress on the starter and battery not having to drive the gearbox too

Update Reply
Phil @ 27/03/2012 17:24  

Not an mot fail as the bike doesn't need to be started for an mot, in fact if the exhaust is standard it doesn't even need the engine to be in the bike, just present so the numbers can be checked!

Update Reply
YID @ 27/03/2012 20:02  

Thats good to know as i think my exhaust gasket is on the way out. so take the engine out and i am sorted.

Update Reply
Phil @ 28/03/2012 14:39  

Blowing exhaust gasket may burn out your valves but won't fail an mot, instead of wasting time trying to get the engine out with the exhaust on, its probably easier to fit a new gasket!

Update Reply
YID @ 28/03/2012 20:40  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email