MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Electric problem at home

Electric problem at home - Forums [Biker Match] Electric problem at home - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Electric problem at home

Hi. Is there any electricians out there that can help me with a problem with my sockets fusing and tripping everything out? Please.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/10/2011 11:09  

oh crikey, what a nightmare ! Can't help you personally Sarah, but a while ago there was a post started about what we all do as a profession, I'm sure there was some electricians on there, hope this helps and there is someone in your area xxx

Update Reply
Nutkin68 @ 10/10/2011 11:56  

do you know any firefighters? (not being pervy honest) alot of them have done their electrician training - the couple of friends I know from fire service around here have electrician as a second job.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/10/2011 12:24  

No I don't know any firemen unfortunately tcat. But thanks for the info.

Thanks Nutkin I'll try and have a look through if I can find the old thread

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/10/2011 12:34  

I've tried looking for the old thread and I can't find it, if it was of a certain *age, and had no posts for a long time, Matt may have deleted/hidden it. * I can't remember how old they have to be when Matt removes them and I can't remember the exact title. It's a tricky situation, and one I found myself in 3 yrs ago, all the good craftsmen/professionals are very busy and can't do it, one of them told me that putting a shower in wasn't a big enough job so he wouldn't do it, the ones who are available are the ones to be wary of, check the work, that they've already done for others, before you let them loose on your home.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 10/10/2011 13:49  

Thanks Sandi. I couldn't find it either lol. I may have found someone to come and look at least. He's the husband of someone my hubby works with so should be ok. I hope!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/10/2011 15:45  

Hope he can sort it for you Sarah, good luck

Update Reply
Nutkin68 @ 10/10/2011 16:00  

Does that mean that I have to stop looking for a fireman for you now Sarah??

Update Reply
bandit lover @ 10/10/2011 16:05  

Ok best I can say is unplug every item you have then plug in 1 at a time untill your electric trips out then you have the item that is fulty if it trips out with all unpluged call a sparky in

Update Reply
JP @ 10/10/2011 16:09  

Thanks for the tip John

Update Reply
Nutkin68 @ 10/10/2011 16:50  

Don't that jp, still no joy :-(

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/10/2011 17:20  

Ok you have a wire come adrift in the back of a socket you would have to open each on and check the wires tight on all plug sockets or call out a sparky

Update Reply
JP @ 10/10/2011 17:24  

Thanks jp. Think I'll have to do that. Got a spark coming hopefully

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/10/2011 17:26  

Probley for the best it hurts after a few shocks lol

Update Reply
JP @ 10/10/2011 17:28  

Lone-rider:
Your Sparkie friend will probably have sorted it by the time you get to read this but:

Is there a loud pop or crack when it goes or does it just trip off silently?

And do you know if the consumer unit/fusebox has an RCD on any of the circuits?
- They are fantastic for safety but will cause nuisance tripping if you have an appliance that's leaking current from live or neutal to earth! can be a right pain in the arse to figure out if its only intermittent!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/10/2011 23:37  

Hi. No he's not coming till Saturday. It does make a noise when it trips but I assumed it was just the noise of the mains switch. It is an RCD box. It's very sensitive but not this bad normally

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 11/10/2011 12:00  

Now it's tripping straight away as soon as I flick the trip back on with nothing plugged in eeek!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 11/10/2011 12:06  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email