MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Variable speed limit on motorways

Variable speed limit on motorways - Forums [Biker Match] Variable speed limit on motorways - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Variable speed limit on motorways

Guys, when I was back in the UK for the KISS rally I kept seeing a weird sign on the motorways for "variable speed limit" or something (if i remember rightly). What the hell is that all about? I took it to mean I can ride really fast and claim I don't know what the variable speed limit was at that stretch lol Can someone confirm please before i come over next week again? Thanks

Update Reply
Matt @ 05/10/2011 19:22  

Hey Matt click on lnk below and all will be explained http://www.highways.gov.uk/news/25754.aspx

Update Reply
jabecs @ 05/10/2011 19:32  

on a few of the motorways over here - predominantly the M25 & M42 (& some others) they have variable speed limits - which is usually in peak hours or when there's congestion. What happens is that they show the speed limit on the overhead gantries & this is the MAX speed limit (60, 50 or 40 etc)- untill you see the national speed limit sign displayed (/) When these are in force the speed camera's are also in force!!

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 05/10/2011 19:33  

what? That's always been the case. So there's nothing new, they just put up extra signs to confuse foreigners? Absolutely stupid! Everyone knows if it says 50 over the lane then that's the speed limit until told otherwise. We don't need "Variable speed limit" signs to tell us!

Update Reply
Matt @ 05/10/2011 20:11  

nah - those are just 'advisory' speed limits Matt (unless it's in roadworks) - this is now an 'enforced' speed limit & only applies on motorways where you see the Variable Speed Limit signs

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 05/10/2011 20:34  

oh ok, glad I have my Dutch number plate then haha Thanks

Update Reply
Matt @ 05/10/2011 20:43  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email