MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Karma points

Karma points (11) - Forums [Biker Match] Karma points (11) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Karma points

tricky, jp.. only full members have access to certain areas, but I reckon full members should have that advantage (and any karma/activity credit) anyway. That being so, activity could be based on forum, chat, moderating, events, or whatever else karma is currently based on(?)

all hypothetical anyway, Matt has decided the karma etc stays.

[sry XK, didn't mean to jump on your idea. I'll shurrup now]

Update Reply
Junction47 @ 18/10/2011 14:37  

it's a good name for a good system Matt, I beg to differ I know you have put a lot of hard work into the Karma system, and made some good changes to make it more meaningful. My only wish is that the name be changed to Activity.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 18/10/2011 15:04  

"Rename" the system? It's just a bar! Only place you see it called Karma is if you click on a bar and get an explaination. Renaming it is a ball ache for me, confusion for others... and for nothing. There's nothing gained from doing that. It's not like just opening a word document and editing one word. I've got to go through lots of code, web pages etc updating loads of things. And for nothing really accept to satisfy a few moaners (not including you, i mean those who aren't happy having a 'karma' system full-stop). So it stays unless you can give me a GOOD reason to go to all the trouble of renaming it all over the place

Update Reply
Matt @ 18/10/2011 15:09  

I'll stop trying to steal Joyce from you!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 18/10/2011 15:12  

Xk why change the name thay would start all over again becuse the name would not fit the critirea for example 1. what would you call activity just being logged in ? 2. I dont use chat as I am very slow typing and cannot keep up with the converstions 3. Im not there in the evening when most are in chat as I have to get up at stupid o-clock for work along with meany others so this would put us at a disadvantage Do I need to go on it just dont work mate

Update Reply
JP @ 18/10/2011 15:15  

And what about those who go into chat, but unlike you (and me), who rarely go into chat but do post a lot, and do not post? Are they disadvantaged? Some are in some ways, others in other ways; it all balances itself out, and is reflected in their karma/activity rating.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 18/10/2011 15:26  

Think you will find Matt has taken all that into account but I could be wrong, but we still go back to the why change the name

Update Reply
JP @ 18/10/2011 15:32  

Because the rating is based on Activity. The name Karma suggests something totally different.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 18/10/2011 15:43  

every website calls it a Karma system. Regualar internet users will know what a Karma rating is. It's a very common system employed by social websites to encourage good behaviour. I can make the system also punish people for sending out junk, or people who get reported for their actions etc. Then it's no longer "activity" anymore is it? Read this link, which tells you about the other sites who use a "Karma" system (same name) and how it helps... http://sixrevisions.com/user-interface/karma-design-pattern/ Why do we have to re-invent the wheel and give it a different name? Karma sounds nice, looks nice and is well understood already by most people who use the internet

Update Reply
Matt @ 18/10/2011 16:58  

OK - point taken, the Karma system is already established. Everybody check out Matt's link above. The only criticism being the difficulty for newbies to get their karma going. I trust matt to address this problem. And it leaves me to concentrate on the lovely Joyce, well wasted on a gay bloke from Holland!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 18/10/2011 18:00  

Xk just take a look at the top 20 then see how long on the site and karma % think you will find it does work now if you want it to

Update Reply
JP @ 18/10/2011 18:16  

Yer only saying that 'cos u r top! ps hav u seen Jack Sparrows write up

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 18/10/2011 18:21  

I give up Im not interested anymore XK fill ya boots

Update Reply
JP @ 18/10/2011 18:47  

JP

Update Reply
bandit lover @ 18/10/2011 18:49  

Dread to think WHAT he is going to fill his boots with ?!?!?!?

Update Reply
feistygirl @ 18/10/2011 19:37  

Newbies can easily get their Karma % up... because Karma is only based on your last 90 days.
So... if you're a newbie and you get on way enjoying the site, you can have 100% Karma in less than 90 days.

Update Reply
Matt @ 18/10/2011 19:46  

Regualar internet users will know what a Karma rating is. I'd not seen, or heard about, Karma ratings til you introduced it Matt, I've been using the net 13 yrs and never saw it on other websites.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 18/10/2011 21:22  

how many social sites do you use though? Read my link above - many sites use the idea.

Update Reply
Matt @ 18/10/2011 22:21  

emmmmmmmmmm drinkin` jd again and ........ aranging a rally in east anglia for next september if any one is up for it

Update Reply
Jack Jones @ 18/10/2011 23:17  

Just as long as it doesn't coincide with next years Autumn Camp, hopefully at Friskney.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 19/10/2011 09:13  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email