MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Help needed in Sheffield

Help needed in Sheffield - Forums [Biker Match] Help needed in Sheffield - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Help needed in Sheffield

Hi. Some of you may be aware that Pombix has been asking for help with her broken starter motor in the thread 'Suzuki VL 125 Intruder Classic'. It's a longshot but my starter broke and couldn't be fixed. We thought if Pombix can take my starter in to her reconditioning place, her guy may be able to make one good one out of the two poorly ones My broken starter motor is still at the rewinding shop in Sheffield and the guy there is reluctant to post it out. We need someone who will go and collect it and wrap it in some bubble wrap & post to Pombix Can any one help us?? Cheers

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 03/10/2011 08:38  

Nice thought, but is it cost effective

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/10/2011 11:36  

how long have you been waiting for it minnie?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/10/2011 12:32  

Hi minne im not far from sheffield about 35miles so if can help out I will do just let me know hun

sal x

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/10/2011 15:44  

Hey Sal thanks ever so, lets see if someone closer volunteers but we may be in touch x
Pombix's rewinding guy is optimistic this could work but mine is less so. Pombix's magnets are broken but the magnets in mine are still intact If her guy can make one good one you bet it's cost effective cos a new one costs about £450 and Pombix & me have spent hours scouring everywhere for second hand starters and they just don't exist Pombix will pay for the postage if some one can get to Chapmans in Sheffield to pick it up...my starter has been in a box there since July. I didn't have any use for it so didn't bother getting it back. Rang the guy there this morning and it's still there, but he never charged me for the time he spent trying to fix it and he just hasn't got the time to package it up & take it to the post office

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 03/10/2011 23:01  

surely someone will be able to pick it up on route to autumn camp,,,if so i will glady take along some packaging stuff (bubble wrap etc) and send it on from there ?????,,,

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/10/2011 23:55  

Mini where does pombix live?

Just a thought if we can get it to the autumn camp ... Maybe we can get it via bikers to poms place?

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 04/10/2011 07:06  

Will take a look at the jobs see if any in or around sheffield

Update Reply
JP @ 04/10/2011 07:18  

Yes, that is very cost effective and what is really nice (without being patronising) is so many people have come forward to help. I'm pleased I moved this way from down saff!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/10/2011 12:34  

Minnie no worries its always good to help fellow bikers out, ive had bit of miss fortune and folk come forward to help me out only one more thing to sort out on mine and ill be back on the road too.

sal x

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/10/2011 20:57  

Thanks to fabby bm peeps co-operating on this one, it sounds like a plan has been hatched to get my lil old starter motor down to Kent
Cheers everyone and fingers crossed that Pombix's re-conditioning guy can perform his magic

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 04/10/2011 22:46  

new one ........... £45 off ebay

Update Reply
kaycat @ 08/10/2011 17:58  

Worth a check but the VL is a twin and not as common as the run of the mill Suzi 125. Had a quick trawl and nobody listing a VL starter. The starter listed appears to retail at about £250 maybe try a Suzi forum to see if yours is compatiably with anything else.

Update Reply
nozz @ 08/10/2011 18:35  

Little more info sujesting with a little bit of fettling the starter for EN GN can be made to fit Have copied the thread fron the Suzuki forum hope this helps. Hi Guys,Thought I would leave this little gem of wisdom to help any other unfortunates that may stumble across this problem.I bought a Suzuki Intruder 125 VL (X-reg) however the starter motor was shot. It would bump evertime and the relay was fine so i didn't really worry about it. I just figured I would buy me a new one and everyone is a winner.Unfortunately when i rang my local dealer for the part I was informed it would be £185+VAT. Thats a 5th of waht I paid for the bikeSo after a little ebaying I found a Suzuki 125 GN/EN starter motor for £35. When it arrived it was clear that the centre piece which goes into the fly wheel was too big. However, if you take the time to grind out the magnets in the middle of the case (1-2mm shaved off all of them) and also grind at least 1mm of thickness off the two bolts holding the case together your old intruder shaft will fit in it like a glove. I dropped it back on the bike, thefirst crank was a little ugly but since that one it has worked first time everytime. A bit dibner'esq I know but saves quite a bit of money. Also there is no-where on the net that mentioned doing this so hopefully anyone with a similar problem will be able to solve it this way.Cheers.

Update Reply
nozz @ 08/10/2011 19:01  

Thanks for your input Kay & nozz Pombix & myself have spent hour after hour attempting to track down starters for this particular suzuki 125 model but we've both drawn a blank...we've got pals who helped me in July/ August see: Subject: Suzuki 125 intruder starter motor and Pombix over the last 2 or three weeks, see: Subject: Suzuki Intruder 125 VL Classic Starters for the suzuki vl 125 intruder are incredibly rare. When I was looking for a starter I posted the link about the adaptation from the GN 125 but it's a tad too challenging for me or Pombix , and errrr nobody volunteered to have a go My starter is wending it's way to Pombix in Tunbridge Wells right now, but if Pombix's re-winding bloke is unable to make a working starter by cannabalising the two broken starters, then the suggestion using a GN 125 starter on the Suzuki rider forum could be an option Pombix may want to explore. . . is this the sort of fettling you could tackle nozz? The magnets on my starter are still intact but Pombix's disintegrated...what we are hoping is that Pombix's re-winding bloke will be able to re-use/ fettle the roto/ centre part of hers and put it into the outer casing of mine...et voila!....although it's still a bit of a longshot cos mine was pretty badly burned out Thanks again for your suggestions. You peeps really are lovely wanting to help Pombix out like this....just as well cos a new genuine suzuki starter actually retails in 2011 at £450 (oh, oh, oh the pain!)

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 09/10/2011 21:38  

Yes I have done lots of fettling over the years but unfortunately no longer have the access to the tools, you would need someone who has access to a small engineering workshop to tackle this. If your repair doesn't work out I'm sure there will be some on the forum that would be able to do it. Good luck

Update Reply
nozz @ 13/10/2011 10:37  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email