MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Liverpool-Glasgow route?

Liverpool-Glasgow route? - Forums [Biker Match] Liverpool-Glasgow route? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Liverpool-Glasgow route?

Hello boys and girls,
I'm going up to Glasgow from Liverpool on Friday, but rather than do the obvious motorway all the way, I'd like to take a diversion or 2 for a bit of fun in the twisties. I'd welcome any suggestions?
Thanks in advance, John.

Update Reply
MrGrumpy @ 26/09/2011 19:30  

Plod though Lancs on M6 then leave at J35 and head north on the A6. Though leafy lush south cumbria to Kendal then north of Kendal climbing up to Shap Fell summit. The A6 runs parallel to M6 but lots of twisties, amazing views with the terrain getting bleaker as you climb...and not much traffic. Drop down in to Penrith then on A6 to Carlisle. But this bit is pretty straight in places although pretty enough. If you want to go the really nice twisty way from Penrith to Carlisle, A686 then A413 to North Dykes ( ), Kirkoswald, Croglin, Brampton then A6071 to Longtown. This way you have the Pennines rising up to the East.....it's lovely.
Dunno about nice roads to Glasgae north of Carlisle cos I always head up on the M74, which is quite nice as motorways go

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 26/09/2011 22:11  

sounds a damn fine route to me minnie

Update Reply
IanT1966 @ 27/09/2011 01:29  

Thanks Minnie,
oldyeti also suggests the A6, so that's definite. Thanks for your other suggestions too.
John.

Update Reply
MrGrumpy @ 27/09/2011 14:41  

I'd use the M6 to get north of Preston (unless you're hopelessly in love with the A59!) and then take to the A6 as MTM says. North of the border the A74M follows the obvious route through a valley but there's an A-road parallelling it pretty all the way. Must say I wish I was riding up to Glasgow on Friday - a warm and sunny autumn day is my idea of perfect biking weather

Update Reply
Wills @ 27/09/2011 16:10  

Hey Mr Grumpy. A fabby deviation is to leave the A74M / A74 at Beattock & take the A 701 through Moffat and head up hill to ride along the rim of the Devils Beef Tub...It would mean you turning round and coming back down the same way, but it's only about 12 miles from the junction, and it really is an incredibly impressive natural bowl in the hills and deffo worth a look if you've got time Another little deviation in glasgow...take madhat out for a pilly I think I missed my vocation as a tour planner & guide

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 27/09/2011 20:19  

Hi MTM - I can see that the A701 goes for about a mile along a ridge. If I have time I might do it. Is it obvious when its done - i.e. when to turn back?

Update Reply
MrGrumpy @ 29/09/2011 00:58  

Wills - do you mean the A76 to Kilmamock?

Update Reply
MrGrumpy @ 29/09/2011 01:00  

i agree to minnie its woth it, I've not done it on bike but in car and it felt awesome :)

Update Reply
Mubz @ 29/09/2011 02:57  

Mr Grumpy, you will know when you are passing the Devils Beef Tub and it's a whopping great bowl/ natural depression in the landscape framed by big hills over on the other side of the valley. You will pass it over on your right as you are climbing up. There are laybys where you can pull over and nip across the road for a really good look if you want. You know when you are getting to the top cos you crest a ridge between two hills and the road starts dropping away again. Just look for somewhere to turn round then head back to the A74 again but this time the views of the Devil's Beef Tub are even better cos it's to your left and it's a long way down!

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 29/09/2011 20:58  

Dear all,
Thanks for all the help. The A6 was brilliant, but the highlight was the Devils Beef Tub - awesome. Thanks Minnie for that one! :))

Update Reply
MrGrumpy @ 05/10/2011 10:57  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email